_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
CARC sand Strykers: miniguns & Rangers.
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:07 PM UTC
Thought this may be of interest:

https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/857989879405445121

Very different-looking Strykers:
-overall Sand colouring.
-M134D miniguns.
-yuuuuuuge American flags.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:23 PM UTC
Very interesting; thanks for posting. There's a few other features there, too: blast shields, antenna at the rear, & a funky light set up to the front.

Cheers,

Kylie
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:49 PM UTC
But is that the same version as like we have in a model, as the front looks not the same?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:05 PM UTC
Looks like at least the hull front has been uparmored (judging by the mounting bolts number and layout)...

Before :

After :

H.P.
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But is that the same version as like we have in a model, as the front looks not the same?

Probably a double-v hull? Not sure how visible the differences are.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably a double-v hull?

I guess so

Here's the first completed vehicle of the Stryker Double V-Hull, or DVH, program (2012). :

H.P.
Increment
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC
Are these SF versions. seen ones a while back in a book that where inside a C-5/C-17 they looked similar and it said they where SEAL vehicles. look like they are based in the Comand & Contrilol/ Ambulance version.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:58 PM UTC
How does a stryker end up in northern Syria? I'm not following the conflict closely, but I was under the impression that USA are not conducting ground operations in Syria. Please enlighten me
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Probably a double-v hull?

I guess so

Here's the first completed vehicle of the Stryker Double V-Hull, or DVH, program (2012). :

H.P.

Handy pic there, H.P., thanks! Seems like the blunt/bull nose is a DVH recognition feature.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How does a stryker end up in northern Syria? I'm not following the conflict closely, but I was under the impression that USA are not conducting ground operations in Syria. Please enlighten me

Yes, we have had U.S. forces in N. Syria for a few months now. First SF, and Marine units. Supposedly a stability force to protect refugees while hemming in insurgents. They are supposedly working with coalition forces.
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 04/29/17 - 14:26:41 (GMT).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not following the conflict closely, but I was under the impression that USA are not conducting ground operations in Syria. Please enlighten me

Take a look here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/26/us-military-photos-syria-soldiers-fighting-isis

...or here

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/255882&page=1

H.P.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:44 AM UTC
and, the vehicle from the right rear,

https://southfront.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/1447-800x415.jpg

in contrast,

http://i0.wp.com/21stcenturywire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/1-US-Troops-in-Syria.jpeg

kylie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 03:25 AM UTC

Interesting that's there's some bar armour across the back of the truck, between the top of the ramp an the bottom of the blast shields.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, we have had U.S. forces in N. Syria for a few months now. First SF, and Marine units. Supposedly a stability force to protect refugees while hemming in insurgents. They are supposedly working with coalition forces.
VR, Russ

Thank you for clarifying. I thought that the only ground operations that was conducted by US were highly "spec-ops" and low profile. I certainly did not expect to see American vehicles with large US-flags .

How does this work out with the Russians? Are Russia not active in northern Syria at all? And what about Turkey? US and turkey certainly have different interests in what groupings in the syrian opposition that should be supported. Am I right?

I don't know if I'm just bad at keeping myself up to date of the events in Syria, or if Swedish media takes little interest in the politics involved in the Syrian situation.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:55 PM UTC
Interesting is that they convert M1133 MEV into troop carriers.
Oh how I wish that AFV Club would release decent MEV and mortar carrier kits.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Thank you for clarifying. I thought that the only ground operations that was conducted by US were highly "spec-ops" and low profile. I certainly did not expect to see American vehicles with large US-flags .

How does this work out with the Russians? Are Russia not active in northern Syria at all? And what about Turkey? US and turkey certainly have different interests in what groupings in the syrian opposition that should be supported. Am I right?

I don't know if I'm just bad at keeping myself up to date of the events in Syria, or if Swedish media takes little interest in the politics involved in the Syrian situation.

One thought is that they are deliberately being conspicuous in an attempt to keep Turkey from bombing the US's Kurdish allies. With so many players in this area, each with their own agenda, lots of opportunities for friendly fire incidents.
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are these SF versions. seen ones a while back in a book that where inside a C-5/C-17 they looked similar and it said they where SEAL vehicles. look like they are based in the Comand & Contrilol/ Ambulance version.

Technically speaking, in the US context, Rangers are Special Operations Forces (SOF). "Special Forcss" equates to "Green Berets". SEALS use a variant of the Pandur (?), I think.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:14 AM UTC
Crud,I posted a pic under the old tan stryker thread and then saw this. Sorry
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Technically speaking, in the US context, Rangers are Special Operations Forces (SOF). "Special Forcss" equates to "Green Berets". SEALS use a variant of the Pandur (?), I think.

Not really...according to Tom Clancy (who I know is not the "authoritative word" when it comes to the US Army), US Rangers are just "very well-trained infantrymen." The 75th Ranger Regiment IS in USSOCOM, but US Rangers are generally NOT considered Special Forces because they don't really have the same "language, rapport, foreign relations, foreign military training, C4SIR, and infrastructure building skillset" as the Green Berets. US soldiers have to go through Ranger School in order to become US Special Forces, so generally Rangers are not considered Special Forces because they don't have the staying and training power as the Green Berets. US Rangers are often considered a light fighting force (they mainly seize airfields), not a US military relations and infrastructure improvement training force like the Green Berets who build schools, wells, churches, etc.

It's Delta Force that has the Pandur 6X6 armored car. Well, actually it's USSOCOM that has it that could be chopped off to the USSCOM's SEALs, Green Berets, Delta Forces, or MARSOC.
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 75th Ranger Regiment IS in USSOCOM, but US Rangers are generally NOT considered Special Forces because they don't really have the same "language, rapport, foreign relations, foreign military training, C4SIR, and infrastructure building skillset" as the Green Berets. .

That's what I said: Rangers (I.e. The Ranger Regiment) are SOF, are considered SOF, and are part of US SOCOM. The Ranger Regiment aren't Special Forces: they're SOF. Special Forces (I.e. Green Berets) are SOF, but not all SOF are SF.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
That's the idea, that conspicuously American-flagged vehicles traveling in convoys with YPG militiamen will deter Turkish airstrikes. The US regards the Syrian Kurds as an ally, but Turkey has continued to attack them. As I understand, our government is very divided. The Pentagon likes the Kurds, admiring their dependability and military prowess, while the CIA and State Department believe improving relations with Turkey is more important and favor the Turkish-backed FSA instead.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:49 PM UTC
More pics http://www.gettyimages.fi/photos/protection-units?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=protection%20units
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:47 AM UTC
[/quote]

Not really...according to Tom Clancy (who I know is not the "authoritative word" when it comes to the US Army), US Rangers are just "very well-trained infantrymen."
[/quote]

Tom Clancy (RIP) is about the last guy I would be using as a subject matter expert on US Special Ops forces, circa 2017. Back in the 80's, you might have been able to classify Rangers as "just well trained infantrymen" but since the GWOT, they have evolved into something much more. They are found pretty much anywhere the higher tier special operations forces would be found and are often working side by side with them on the same mission.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not really...according to Tom Clancy (who I know is not the "authoritative word" when it comes to the US Army), US Rangers are just "very well-trained infantrymen."
[/quote]

Tom Clancy (RIP) is about the last guy I would be using as a subject matter expert on US Special Ops forces, circa 2017. Back in the 80's, you might have been able to classify Rangers as "just well trained infantrymen" but since the GWOT, they have evolved into something much more. They are found pretty much anywhere the higher tier special operations forces would be found and are often working side by side with them on the same mission.
[/quote]

True enough.
 _GOTOTOP