_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
News
Hobby Fan: Firing Platform
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:07 PM UTC

Hobby Fan will be releasing soon an U.S. artillery firing platform, which was used in Vietnam war

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hobby Fan tends to be pricey and with the size of this I fear what the price will be.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:13 PM UTC
Frenchy, you have any photos of this in action?
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:16 PM UTC

SCROLL DOWN TO PIC 76, YOU SEE ONE BEING AIR DELIVERED BY A CHINOOK

http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/ebook/p/2005/CMH_2/www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/vietnam/fa54-73/ch3.htm
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:34 PM UTC
Not Frenchy but I have one:

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 05:29 PM UTC
Agree with Ziggyfoos about Hobby Fan being pricey, and I can imagine this going for $45-plus. A number of pics show these being placed in water near some type of shoreline (lake/river/coast). Since the "feet" would be covered by muddy/cloudy water, I think you'd be able to scratch build the platform for much less cost.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... and I can imagine this going for $45-plus...

My guess is it may be closer to double that. Though not complicated, still big chunk of HF resin.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy, you have any photos of this in action?

one in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3F3vO52UK0
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... and I can imagine this going for $45-plus...

My guess is it may be closer to double that. Though not complicated, still big chunk of HF resin.

Really, that's it? My guess was $450. Haha
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:11 AM UTC
This platform could be a diorama base by itself ;-) Yes it wont be surprisingly cheap I guess....but it is Vietnam! No doubt the (awesome) artillery-barges will follow (another guess ;-))
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:11 AM UTC
OK, so I'm totally clueless here. Doesn't that platform being in the middle of a body of water leave the crew extremely, well, um... exposed?
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:24 AM UTC
These were air mobile temporary artillery platforms to supply fire support in the delta area. Not meant for long term.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 04:18 AM UTC
Wayne's right. Before an element of the Mobile Riverine Force of the 9th Infantry Division would insert into an area, these platforms would be airlifted into position so artillery support would be in range and could support the maneuver elements participating in an operation. Since the Delta region was pretty wet and it would be quite difficult o set up artillery positions in such terrain, it was necessary to develop these platforms, and use barges, to provide artillery support. If I end up with some spare money, I might get one of these as I have been wanting to do a diorama of Delta Artillery Support and my current modeling skills are not up to snuff to scratch build one of these.
a10phan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 06:27 AM UTC
Been waiting for this one.

You can see the making of the master here: http://www.brownwater.net/Index.asp and on their FB page.

The site also has a book on the subject, "Guns Afloat" as well as other books/videos on Army/Navy brown water operations.

The 1/35th Scale Hurricane Aircat Airboat they also mastered for Hobby Fan is selling for $115 from Jaguar Models so I expect it will be expensive. Hobby Easy finally got the Aircat for $80 so I'm hoping the platform will be cheaper from them too.

Rob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:04 AM UTC
Looking good. Good to see that these are being done by Jack Carrico of Brown Water Enterprises. This and the Aircat should make some really interesting Riverine dios. Hopefully they will come out with more Riverine Force subjects. Between these and the different boats from Tamiya (PBR), Dragon (LSSC), and Brown Water Enterprises/Masterpiece Models (ATCs, Swift Boat, etc.), the 9ID Riverine Forces are being covered pretty well.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:45 AM UTC
food for thought:

I saw a couple of these platforms during a fly over while rolling up a rive near the coast line. They had no guns or anything on them, and were used as helipads. The M102's mounted on tem are interesting, but they had to be locked down solid. I see no way to do it. There's no way to take up the recoil otherwise. Any piece using trail spades wouldn't work. Otherwise your gun will go for a swim with you right along. I kind of wonder if they had a different one for arty use.

As for being unprotected while shooting off one. Might as well paint a bulls eye on your noggin. Probably better in the rear for show & tell.
gary
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hmmm...a helicopter could carry one as it's own landing pad??
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 02:35 AM UTC
The platforms and artillery pieces were slingloaded separately. The platform would be emplaced and then the arty would be placed upon them. The artillery positions were only in place for a short period and were used quite successfully by the 9th Infantry Division in the Delta.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The platforms and artillery pieces were slingloaded separately. The platform would be emplaced and then the arty would be placed upon them. The artillery positions were only in place for a short period and were used quite successfully by the 9th Infantry Division in the Delta.

I can see the platform with a four duce or 81mm mortar on them, but not a 105 howitzer with some very major alterations.
The M102 in the photo would have been best, but still has to be locked down solid before firing. The older gun tends to bounce a lot due to the way it's designed, and also renders itself useless with an azimuth shift. You shifted azimuths almost as often as you did fire mission. I'd almost bet the farm that the platform used with a howitzer was dedicated to that purpose alone.
gary
 _GOTOTOP