_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
looking for suggestions for a new airbrush
jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:41 AM UTC
I have had a couple different Paasche airbrushes that I have used over the past couple years. The first one is a single action model H, which has been rather easy to use, and works well for larger subjects. The other airbrush being a double action Paasche VJR. I have had mixed feelings for this airbrush, as it works decently, though has some issues with spattering and clogging and it struggles to form crisp lines when doing finer work for camouflage schemes,thus sometimes making painting a rather frustrating experience. As having to clean the tip every 5 minutes, and thinnning paints has given disappointing results even at a lower pressure. I am looking into getting a Badger or Iwata gravity fed, double-action airbrush in the price range of $100-$200. I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice for a decent airbrush, that could be used for both detail work, and for larger stuff such as a base coat for models. Most of my work is in 1/35th, though I do occasionally 1/72nd stuff.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC
I just bought a H&S silverline 2 in 1,it has the .4 needle and the .2 and I truly love it.I got it from Hobby easy for 149$ shipping included.
jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just bought a H&S silverline 2 in 1,it has the .4 needle and the .2 and I truly love it.I got it from Hobby easy for 149$ shipping included.

That looks like a good deal I may have to get that, and it comes with both needles. What type of air hose does it use, as it doesn't appear to come with one. As I will be connecting it to a quick connect with 1/4" NPT.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:35 PM UTC
I have 4 air brushes For general work you cant beat the badger 150. its reliable comes with 3 needles and Ive never had a problem with it . and they guarantee it for life ! I have a badger patriot for close fine work. and a iawata.i recommend the badgers
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:06 AM UTC
I just use the standard type hose and adapter.I'm very very happy with it so far,it just feels right in my hand and sprays great
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:09 AM UTC
Krome
Ramanathan
Visit this Community
Pest, Hungary
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:16 PM UTC
I strongly recommend H&S Evolution. Mine is an Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 and I'm fully satisfied with it. High quality airbrush and the 0.2 + 0.4 needles are perfect for all kind of airbrushing.
cheers,
Zsolt
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 02:02 PM UTC
I got a Grex TS3 last winter. Very nice, the pistol grip and trigger is intuitive, it's ambidextrous which is great as I'm a south paw. But it's at your $200 limit and maybe a few bucks more.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:00 PM UTC
if you have a Hobby Lobby around you, I STRONGLY recommend getting a 40% off coupon and going there and picking up an IWATA NEO. Its a cup gravity airbrush with a pistol grip design..... I paid 106 for mine with the coupon and it is my go-to airbrush!
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi, I recommend too the NEO TRN1 the pistol grip one. With the .35 tip.

Cheap, but works very well.

HTH

Alvaro
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 06:20 PM UTC
I don't know anything about your skill level so there is no disrespect implied of any kind. A good airbrush artist can take a POS and do great work. Some of the issues you mentioned sound like thinning/mixing issues and tip dry. In that case more experimenting with technique might be helpful. If it is really the brush where the problem is, then I would recommend trying out several if at all possible. You want one that works for you and sprays like you expect. I have an Iwata Hi Line with a Mac valve for my detail bursh and an Iwata revolution for my base coats. I use both with a CO2 cylinder. I had a Badger 200 for 20 years and it was an excelent mid level brush. Never had a complaint with it. The Iwata does everything I expect from it and have been happy with it.

jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered it, any idea how long it takes to ship from Hong Kong? I also ordered a separate air hose and tip cleaner, those parts were sort of expensive, but I think the tip cleaner will be a good investment, as that part is always rather difficult to clean when paint builds up there, even with solvents, it can be a challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
 _GOTOTOP