_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Two questions: new airbrush/troubleshooting
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 06:32 PM UTC
I have been using the cheap airbrushes that came with my compressor so far, but one failed a couple of months ago (still can't figure out why), the other just got it's nozzle blocked, and I have no idea how to clean it out. (Tried... now it's soaking in isopropanol...)

Anyhow,I would like to finally get a new airbrush that actually works well. (This one is "leaking": the air started to run lately even when the trigger is not depressed, so even if I can fix it, it's still going to be crap.)

What would be the best option for a "general use" double action airbrush for around 100GBP? Are the Aztecs ones worth considering, for example? (The option of changing the heads looks pretty cool.)

Thank you
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 07:28 PM UTC
I recommend the Badger 150 . Its a great general purpose a b . It comes with 3 needles fine,medium and large. it has a lifetime guarantee . Ive had mine about 10 years with no problems or complaints ! It cost around $100 USD !
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 07:34 PM UTC
I had one of those freebies ( with compressor) too . they are garbage . Mine lasted a few weeks . I dont know anything about the Aztec , but heard their easy to clean !!
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 07:34 PM UTC
I have been using the top Aztec now for about 25 years. When seeing my models and asked what kind of airbrush I use the reaction is usually stunned silence or just an "oh." I am lazy so the low maintenance and ease of cleaning are a great appeal to me, especially as I use Tamiya acrylics. Just remove the nozzle place it in some Windex, shake, and rinse with water. It is also fairly light and fits comfortably and naturally in your hand, similar to holding a pencil. Many here do not particularly care for the Aztec preferring instead an Iwata or some other much more expensive brand. Using the fine tip nozzle I am able to achieve freehand cammo patterns with little difficulty.
As with all airbrushes it takes some time to get the right paint to thinner ratio and the proper pressure but these things are a matter of preference and style. I tend to use very thinned paint and spray at low pressure building up thin layers to achieve the degree of coverage I want. Their lifetime warranty is also very good as they replaced my airbrush even though at that time it was about 20 years old and I told them I had accidently backed over it with a chair when I dropped it. No questions asked and no hassle.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 10:15 PM UTC
Dear all,
Thank you very much for your response

Best,

Andras
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 03:40 AM UTC
Badger Patriot 105 or 105 extreme,cheap,very easy to use and clean,easy to find and cheap spare parts,you can buy the 3 set up,details,fine and general pourpose,you have life time garantee and the famous Badger custom service

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Patriot_105.asp
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:36 AM UTC
Aztecs are great or a disaster. I have no idea why they are so inconsistent. I am an Iwata guy but I used a Badger 200 for 20 years and can highly recommend it in the mid priced airbrushes. Easy to upkeep, reliable, parts are easy to get, and easy to clean. It behaves well and is consistent in how it sprays.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:55 PM UTC
Thank you all. It seems like Badger -or if I feel bold, Aztec There's a lot of info out there about how to handle Aztecs; perhaps those guidelines will help with avoiding disasters.

_GOTOTOP