_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
paint tone consistency
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hello !

Needed to do some touch up on a model and prior to begin applying the paint on the model; did some tests on a white piece of paper :

Which is less than ideal. I don't know what causes these splatters besides the main line of paint, so I added more thinner and the result was better. But upon painting the actual model, there was now a tone difference between the original layer of green, and the layer added for the thouch-up :

As you can see on the front part of the hull, there is a difference in tone. What's causing this ? Too much thinner ? What can I do to cover this up ?

Any help would be appreciated as I have no clue what's happening to my model
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 03:03 AM UTC
Is the paint from the second application from the same bottle as the first? There can be differences between different lots of the same color. Is the paint properly mixed? If not than get a shaker to mix it, best way to go. For the splattering check your air supply, too much or too little can cause this and make sure your nozzle is properly cleaned. From personal experience with the vehicles in our units, paint repairs often didn't match the factory applied CARC. Up close our humvees were about 6 shades of green 4 different shades of black and brown could range from milk chocolate to baby poop.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 03:23 AM UTC
There is a difference but I wouldn't worry about it too much as once you begin the weathering process most if not all bill be blended and will pretty much disappear.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:02 PM UTC
Once you give it a wash or two it will blend it all together.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:33 PM UTC
The only person the tonal quality will bother is you. You intended an even tone. However the real vehicles had tonal differences modelers try to emulate. We preshade then use filters and washes. So don't worry, you are just a step or two farther down the road. Just weather it and it will look great.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:51 AM UTC
The "tone" or hue of matt/flat paint depends to some degree on the surface structure, if you change the amount of thinner, air pressure or distance from the air brush nozzle to the surface then there will be differences.
See other posts above about washes. If you add a layer of clear lacquer before doing washes et.c. the tone will change slightly again.
/ Robin
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thank you all for the kind answers !! Will keep you updated on my "Leclerc" thread !
 _GOTOTOP