_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Adhesion Promoter
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC
Was out of the grey automotive primer I normally use as a base coat before applying acrylics so I went to the auto parts store to get some more. They were out of normal primer, but the guy there recommended some stuff called adhesion promoter:

It's clear (which is a bit unfortunate since it does nothing for tone leveling) and dries to a frosty matt finish.

Was wondering if anyone has heard of or tried this stuff before? I'll follow up once it's cured and I've started applying acrylics.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

I have not yet although I extensively use auto primers on my models. I've never used Mr Surfacer or the like.

Let us know how this works?
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:20 AM UTC
I always thought this was for flexible plastics and vinyl so that the color coat doesn't just crack off the material it's painted on. Yeah, let us know.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
So far it looks like it simply creates a rough surface as if I had lightly sanded the plastic.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hey Mark. How's it going? Here's my two cents worth...

I have been spending my very limited spare time of late with some commission work, painting hockey goal masks. In research and development of techniques and tricks to make them better, one of the things I've learned is that many people recommend using an Adhesion Promoter with all acrylics...

I haven't actually tried it yet, but I have also had some issues with my acrylics sticking uniformly over different types of masks. One thing I do know is that it is supposed to help in the event the surface isn't completely stripped properly, or not wiped of any grease or previous clear coating... something I've found out the hard way is sometimes difficult to do!

Hope this helps, and thanks for reminding me to go and get a can from Canuckle Tire!!!

Dave.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:35 AM UTC
Not much to go on from the Duplicolor site. Lets us know how it works.

Quoted Text

Adhesion Promoter

Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter improves adhesion of enamel and lacquer top coats to all surfaces, including plastic and chrome. Adhesion Promoter is an all-purpose clear primer ideal for both interior and exterior applications.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:03 PM UTC
Humm... Is it me or does it seem like every companies product is "ideal" for...
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Humm... Is it me or does it seem like every companies product is "ideal" for...

I know, right? And as soon as it fails under "ideal" conditions, the manufacturer always blames the end user.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:35 PM UTC
So true, that.

The adhesion promoter seems to be very firmly attached to the styrene. The question is how well the acrylic will adhere to the adhesion promoter. Hopefully I can get a coat on this week.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 03:03 AM UTC
Sprayed a base coat of Vallejo acrylic over my adhesion promoter-treated tank this afternoon. Two things became quickly apparent:

1) The clear nature of the AP means it takes several coats of acrylic paint to make sure you have good even coverage. A bit annoying if you are used to having a solid grey primer base to work with.

2) Some times I'd get a bit too much paint in one area (as I am wont to do), but rather than the paint rippling and puddling like it so often does, with the AP the paint stayed exactly where the airbrush put it. That was very nice, and I got a very nicely smooth finish.

The muffler (also sprayed with AP) needed to be a different color, and because I'm too lazy to clean the airbrush twice, I decided to do it with a fuzzy stick. This is where the AP seemed to really make a difference. I find applying acrylics with a brush can be tricky because I am impatient and tend to try to even things out before first coat is fully dried. In the past, that meant the paint-wetted brush tended to simply lift and move the first coat. Not with the AP; once the paint was down it stayed exactly where it was no matter how many times I went over it again.

I think in the future I will try using the automotive primer as a first coat to get a solid neutral surface and then follow that with the AP to really fix the acrylics in place.

For now, I'm reporting 'thumbs up' on the AP.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:59 AM UTC
Excellent info. I might have to pick up a can.

_GOTOTOP