_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to stop losing airbrush nozzle?
Markov41
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:38 AM UTC
I'm using an Iwata HP-CS airbrush which has a small brass nozzle that rests in the opening at the end of the airbrush. There are no threads holding it in place or anything... Sometimes I can easily slide it out of the opening, or inserting the needle will push it out, other times I need to pull out the pliers to remove it and clean it.

Does anyone have a solution regarding how to properly and reliably secure the nozzle? I've already washed two of them down the sink and its getting expensive replacing these parts.

This is the part I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/a/2EQiu
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:43 AM UTC
Sorry for not being more informative, but (1) just be careful when taking apart your airbrush,(2) don't take your airbrush apart so often. You can do a quick cleaning between colors without taking it apart.

You don't want to use pliers on the nozzle.

Markov41
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC
Got it, thanks. I figured it was a case of just being less careless. Ever since switching away from spraying Vallejo Model Color which would dry up in the nozzle after three minutes of spraying I typically only do a thorough cleaning after completing an entire model, or before a complicated camo pattern.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi,

What I have learned in the past few years is if you hold your finger (just pick one..) on the nozzle cap and slightly blow some air with some cleaner in the cup while holding your finger on it. This results some air bubbles in the cup but the whole "tunnel" is cleaned out resulting that you won't have to dismantle your airbrush. The last thing you have to do is to spray the cleaner in a bottle.

Sometimes you want to dismantle the airbrush for cleaning in a ultrasonic bath. But when you use the fingermethod that has to be done occasionally.

Hope this helps.

Hilbert
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:04 AM UTC
Get a drain basket so that when you drop it,it doesnt go all the way down.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Get a drain basket so that when you drop it,it doesnt go all the way down.

That's a good idea Anthony. Maybe use one of those drip baskets for cleaning carburetor parts.

I take apart my AB over a large deep serving tray lined with paper towels so parts don't bounce if dropped.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 05:56 PM UTC
A cookie sheet with a paper towel works also as your dissassembly mat.
 _GOTOTOP