_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
XM153 & M1 Abrams question
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hello to all.

I got a question on coupling of an XM153 with M1 tank. I am currently thinking on getting one of these kits: either M1A1 AIM (Meng TS-032), or M1A2 SEP TUSK (Meng TS-026), or M1A2 TUSK (RFM 5004). I can also get a Bronco XM153 addon (AB3571). But, as I can see from the internet, XM153 is only used on M1A2 SEP V2. So, here are my questions:

1. Was the XM153 ever used on any of the above listed M1 models? Or was it for SEP V2 only?

2. Could XM153 be sand colored on a NATO camoed tank? Or NATO green on a sand colored tank? Maybe other color patterns?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
The XM-153 CROWS 2 has only been fitted to the M1A2 SEP v2. It is the biggest part that makes the v2 version. It was not fitted to earlier Abrams versions.

It could be a different color, but is not likely since these are completely rebuilt tanks and repainted w/the XM-153 on them at the depot/factory level.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
Wouldn't putting the XM153 on an M1A1 AIM make it an M1A1 Situational Awareness???
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The XM-153 CROWS 2 has only been fitted to the M1A2 SEP v2. It is the biggest part that makes the v2 version. It was not fitted to earlier Abrams versions.

It could be a different color, but is not likely since these are completely rebuilt tanks and repainted w/the XM-153 on them at the depot/factory level.

Thanks a lot! It seems that as both TUSK kits are principally not rebuildable into SEP v2, I will make the AIM version by now and wait till someone hopefully releases a v2 kit.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks a lot! It seems that as both TUSK kits are principally not rebuildable into SEP v2, I will make the AIM version by now and wait till someone hopefully releases a v2 kit.

I haven't gotten around to building one yet, but Dragon's M1A2 SEP V2 (3556) has gotten great reviews!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:52 PM UTC
Academy M1 A2 SEP TUSP includes parts for the v2.

http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/1p/1p_plaview.asp?pView=PLA0000003&pCode=1412&pScale=SCALE00001
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:01 PM UTC
There is also the newer Academy M1A2 SEP v2/TUSK I/TUSK II kit (kit #13298). It can be built as a SEP v2 with CROWS II, not just a TUSK kit. I have it. I've only gotten around to stealing and using the TUSK parts from it, for an M1A1 TUSK conversion. Overall, it seems like a pretty nice kit. It has anti skid molded on. All new tooling. It is NOT that Frankenstein disaster, that their M1a1 OIF kit is. Worth a look. Pricewise, it is way cheaper then Dragon, Meng or RFM kits...I got mine for $40. Dragon does make a nice SEP v2, as Rich pointed out. It tends to sell for around $55-60, when you can find it. I'm not sure how long it will be available. It contains a lot more parts. Some aspects of the Academy kit are better than the Dragon one and vice versa. Bear in mind, no M1 kit on the market currently, is perfect, but I think the Academy & Dragon offerings are very well done and both worth considering. I'm planning on building my Academy kit as the straight SEP v2...this was my original plan. I hope to pick up one of the Dragon kits, before they disappear from stores and the price goes up. Good luck.
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm a fan of Meng. And I can get the just-released Meng M1A1 AIM here in Saint Petersburg for $47.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wouldn't putting the XM153 on an M1A1 AIM make it an M1A1 Situational Awareness???

No. M1A1 SA has SCWS - Stabilized Commander's Weapons Station - with .50 cal machine gun, not CROWS.
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 01:21 AM UTC
The NEW Academy M1A2 is a beautiful kit. Think the bad name the brand got with other kits is shadowing a lot what is a really great offering.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 06:57 AM UTC
While I haven't built either of the two M1A2 V2 Dragon kits that I have, I've opened one of the boxes, and the basic kit is the same as the Dragon M1A1 AIM and M1A2 V1 SEP kits, which, until I actually have one of the Meng or Ryefield kits in my hands, still reign as the best M1 kits out there, to me, anyway. I am anxious to one day build one of these guys and see how cool the CROWS II hardware looks. Looking at the sprues, the CROWS parts look fantastic.

Are these Dragon M1A2 V2 kits hard to come by these days? If so, glad I have one still factory sealed!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are these Dragon M1A2 V2 kits hard to come by these days? If so, glad I have one still factory sealed!

You mean "distributor sealed" Dragon kits leave factory without any seals or shrinkwraps
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:55 PM UTC
A hobby shop I frequented in my youth had a very simple machine that would heat seal and then shrink plastic around any new kit that came from a distributor without wrap on it. The owner would often let me remove the wrap, glance at the contents, and then reseal the kit. At the shop I visit occasionally now, there is no wrap on any kit save those by Tamiya and the old school car kit manufacturers like AMT.I

Regards,

Eric
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The NEW Academy M1A2 is a beautiful kit. Think the bad name the brand got with other kits is shadowing a lot what is a really great offering.

I actually think Academy did a better job on the V2 than Dragon did, with details Dragon missed like the late roadwheel hubs and later loader's MG mount - although I'm not sure if these are features of all V2s. Maybe somebody can clarify?
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would address the first statement, but a edit would likely come into play.

As far as the second....

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as the second....

The reason for it is that it was originally CARC tan tank overall when it was converted to v2. It was later repainted to NATO camo, but CROWS was omitted - probably was removed from tank when it went to paint barn and remained in its original color. You can see that the inside of the commander's hatch is left tan as well.

But yes, the end result is that the CROWS (and many other parts of such tank) are in a different color from the rest of the tank.
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No. M1A1 SA has SCWS - Stabilized Commander's Weapons Station - with .50 cal machine gun, not CROWS.

The SCWS is part of the USMC Firepower Enhancement Program - nothing to do with the "SA" program. Australian Abrams' are M1A1 AIM SA (as are th Moroccan Army's): neither are fitted with SCWS.

BTW, the XM153 was type-classified by the US Army a couple of years back (trying to find the link): now it is the M153.

ETA: https://govtribe.com/project/58-crows-m153-protector/activity
From at least 2011.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi. First of all, I would like to say that BRONCOs CROWS II, is not intended for the Abrams tank. Broncos CROWS is slightly different, And it`s suitable for humvees or other MRAPs

Bronco:

Real Abrams

In Broncos kit, there is no mounting base for Abrams. Something like this:

So if you are interested in building an Abrams V2,the best solution is Academy 13298, or you can do something like this

Best regards

Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As far as the second....

The reason for it is that it was originally CARC tan tank overall when it was converted to v2. It was later repainted to NATO camo, but CROWS was omitted - probably was removed from tank when it went to paint barn and remained in its original color. You can see that the inside of the commander's hatch is left tan as well.

But yes, the end result is that the CROWS (and many other parts of such tank) are in a different color from the rest of the tank.

Or the CROWS was added/fitted to the tank after the tank was painted...
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The SCWS is part of the USMC Firepower Enhancement Program - nothing to do with the "SA" program. Australian Abrams' are M1A1 AIM SA (as are th Moroccan Army's): neither are fitted with SCWS.

US Army (National Guard) M1A1 SA are equipped with SCWS. They are obviously not part of any USMC program... Maybe export SA configuration differs from the US Army SA configuration.

U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
I have built both the new Academy and Ryefield kits. I love the interior parts of the Ryfield kit but would recommend the Academy kit. The only real problems I found with the Academy kit were the tracks and the clear parts, which were evidently taken out of the molds too fast and have semicircles in them. The Academy kit went together with fewer issues then Ryefield's and looking at the two side by side, i just think the Academy kit looks the part better than the Ryefield kit. I built the Academy kit as a TUSK ll and am using the spare parts to make a V2 with the Ryefield kit. I have to thank Vodnik because I almost started to replace the Academy kit parts with a spare Bronco CROWS ll. Also, I don't know if anyone else had this problem with the Ryfield M1A2 w/interior but the sprue with the APU ( or is it an air conditioning unit ?) used on the M1A2 was missing from my kit.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As opposed to playing "I have a secret" why not give us whatever info you have? Sharing info is what makes this site great.

No clue what the "edit" part is talking about. First of all, I didn't/don't edit my posts, and you can't edit after an hour anyways. Sorry if you misunderstand what some post, but mine have not been edited, neither this post nor the other Abrams post you implied it in.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As opposed to playing "I have a secret" why not give us whatever info you have? Sharing info is what makes this site great.

No clue what the "edit" part is talking about. First of all, I didn't/don't edit my posts, and you can't edit after an hour anyways. Sorry if you misunderstand what some post, but mine have not been edited, neither this post nor the other Abrams post you implied it in.

The other post was definitely edited. As it stated none were around until the upgrade process was to be started. You added test stage. Because 'test stage" wasnt there, I asked so none exited?

Your view was as "like this one form two month earlier". That v2's were the only ones.

It seems you like to touch both bases like above with "could be, but not likley"

And to follow up with statement that one cannot edit after an hour. That is rather confusing, because as of 08/26/2017 I can edit any of my posts. I find odd I would be the only one able to do that on this site.

This site IS a good site to learn info. Just a bummer that when you give correcting info, the ability of the other posted to change their posting and then play the "no one said that card" is interesting. but lesson learned. Just need to make sure screen shots are taken of incorrect statements before responding to them.
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

US Army (National Guard) M1A1 SA are equipped with SCWS. They are obviously not part of any USMC program... Maybe export SA configuration differs from the US Army SA configuration.

Rechecking my refs - the SCWS is separate to both FEP (a USMC program) and SA. My apologies for incorrectly linking SCWS to FEP. Equally, however, SCWS is not linked to the SA configuration. SCWS can be fitted to both FEP & SA tanks, its presence doesn't denote one configuration or the other.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 02:54 AM UTC
You can think what you want, but I didn't change a thing. My post is the same as it was from the beginning. You still haven't given us any of your vast knowledge that you still want to keep to yourself. So be it.

Maybe the settings have changed, but the edit function used to be only available for an hour after your original post.
 _GOTOTOP