_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting headlights?
KingOfTheDesert
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:10 PM UTC
I'm wondering what paint and technique are best for painting headlamps, as well as other glass parts (e.g.: optics, periscope, etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 04:09 PM UTC
The reflectors are painted silver before being covered by the clear lens. Colored parts are painted with a 50-50 mix of clear gloss and the base color (i.e. green yellow, etc).

This is what works for me...

Here's an example:
RussianArmor
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm wondering what paint and technique are best for painting headlamps, as well as other glass parts (e.g.: optics, periscope, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

I paint the markers, turn signals, brake lights, armored glass, etc with the correct Tamiya clear color (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green or Orange) and then glue them on with micro krystal klear after painting and sealing the model
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:19 PM UTC
For clear lenses (like vehicle head lamps), I paint the insides silver then glue them to the vehicle. This was the advice given to me some years back, and it works the best.

As for amber, red and green lights; Tamiya makes these in clear orange, red and green. I usually paint the light silver, then give it a coat of clear orange/red/green thereafter. Sometimes follow up with a second clear coat of the colour I used.

Good luck.
zedhol
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 06:38 PM UTC
My technique is the same as everyone above with a new twist. I have used the new Molotow Chrome Ink pens that have recently come on the market to paint the silver. They produce an effect that is about as close to the real thing that you can imagine. I quick dab with the pen fills the headlight.
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:13 PM UTC
I agree but will recommend a new model car product as an improvement; they have these new chrome paint markers; the paint really looks like chrome plating. Even if you're using clear lenses paint the inside with this stuff and the results are amazing.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree but will recommend a new model car product as an improvement; they have these new chrome paint markers; the paint really looks like chrome plating. Even if you're using clear lenses paint the inside with this stuff and the results are amazing.

You didn't bother reading the other posts, did you? Especially the one right above yours?
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... a new model car product ...

You didn't bother reading the other posts, did you? Especially the one right above yours?

He said "a new model car product". The Molotow paint pens are a general painting/drawing product. Actually the company targets mainly Graffiti artists. Yes, I know they can be used on our models.

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... a new model car product ...

He said "a new model car product". The Molotow paint pens are a general painting/drawing product. Actually the company targets mainly Graffiti artists. Yes, I know they can be used on our models.

Okay then. All the videos I've seen of that pen in action have been showing it used on kits, so I stand corrected.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:53 PM UTC
For clear headlights ill paint the interior silver as others have mentioned but ill also apply a wash or two of tamiya smoke over the lens. The smoke helps tone the headlights down a little bit to better match the model.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
I picked up a Molotow pen at the AMPS nationals works fantastic, and one less brush to clean.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:56 AM UTC
Another method I use; especially on larger lights; is to glue some tin-foil (shiniest side out) inside before gluing on the clear part. Can be a bit fiddly but looks not bad.
 _GOTOTOP