_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best matching color paints for the M1 MBT?
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC
I put both my M60A1 and M60A3 projects on hold since I need to re-develope my camaflauge painting skills after a 25 year break from this hobby.

With that said, I'm building two M1 tank kits, Tamiya's first M1 tank kit from 1982/83 and their later "Iraqi Freedom" M1A2 kit. I chose these kits since both tanks deployed with a solid one color paint job from the factory or in the M1A2 case, at the unit or depot level.

I remember the first time "I" saw M1 tanks in the field, in Germany, back in mid/late 1982 they had a solid green base coat of paint. It wasn't an olive drab green and I don't believe it was the later NATO green either. And during the Gulf Wars, part one and two, seeing both M1A1s and later, the M1A2 in a sand/tan finish.... During the Gulf Wars, I was a MP Platoon SGT (E-7). For the first half of my career, I worked my way up to the position of Tank Commander, SGT/E-5 on both M60A1and M60A3 tanks. I really wished that I stayed a tanker!! I guess it really doesn't matter, I still retired from the Army.

Anyway!! Which manufacture(s) offers the closest matching green, in a spray paint can, if possible, that was used on the early M1 tanks from about 1980 to 1984 and the best matching sand color paint that matches the current shade still in use with the U.S. Army?

Since these will be basically "practice" they will only be weathered very lightly at the most, so the sand/tan paint I'm hoping to find a correct shade as if it's coming straight from the factory.... Not the worn shade after Several year long tours in the Middle East.

I'm hoping to gain the skills to finally take on the more complex camouflage finish used on the M60 MBTs back in the early/mid 80s. Btw, they will be straight kit builds... No super detailing for me.

Thanks for any tips!!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway!! Which manufacture(s) offers the closest matching green, in a spray paint can, if possible, that was used on the early M1 tanks from about 1980 to 1984

First M1 / IPM1 / M2 and M3 vehicles were painted in overall FS 34079 "Army Forest Green".

Model Master #1710 Dark Green FS34079 (enamel) is a good match to the official FS color chip, but it may require some tweaking to look good on a scale model. Model Master also have this paint in a spray can #1910, but I don't know if it is exactly the same color as their enamel.

Other paint manufacturers also offer FS34079 equivalents, but I cannot comment on their "accuracy", as I have not checked them myself.
 _GOTOTOP