Burnt trees and grass how to?
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:38 AM UTC
Gentelmen
Im looking to add a couple of burnt out trees and grass in my next dio, and wondering what techniques to use. For trees i will use darkened roots, but for grass, i have no idea. Any help would be great!
Cheers
-Chris ( Ziggy)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:56 AM UTC
Have you tried to burn them with a propane torch?

Outside of cause.

flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 03:28 AM UTC
As much fun as torching grass sounds, might I recommend searching for black static grass first.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC
You might check this site out and do a search. Tons of diorama related videos

http://www.plasticmodelsworld.com
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
I wouldn't try torching static grass as it's poly-something synthetic fibers. You'll either end up with a melted mess, or more likely setting fire to your entire diorama! Plenty of scenes of bush and forest fires on the news these days. When grass burns, first it dries from the approaching heat and then burst into flames leaving nothing but scorched earth in seconds. Just airbrush the ground matte black with a few burned ends of the odd bush sticking up.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:25 AM UTC
Chris,

I have used an acrylic charcoal paint thinned down for both trees and grass. Then dust with MIG smoke and ashes pigments. Then over all spray with Dullcoat to fix everything. Add a little more ashes pigment to the grass area to make it look freshly burned.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:28 AM UTC
Just not black! make sure there are plenty of ashy-greys in there!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:55 AM UTC
Not just black and grey but the ground is often still ground color and some grasses are just partially burned. There is a lot of color variation in a burned off area. Smoke grenades and dry scrub land in August don't mix.
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:12 AM UTC
Thank you all for your suggestions. Ill give it a shot and post pics when im done.
Again, thanks.
Chris
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not just black and grey but the ground is often still ground color and some grasses are just partially burned. There is a lot of color variation in a burned off area. Smoke grenades and dry scrub land in August don't mix.

And it can depend a lot on the terrain and the type of vegetation, too. Ravines can funnel fire up their length, scorching the ground in the ravine while leaving surrounding terrain untouched, and in drier areas where you have patchy ground cover, the vegetation-free terrain can be largely unchanged in color, with only a light sprinkling of ash, but where the undergrowth is heavier, the ash cover is more even.

For a small, localized fire, fleshier plants will survive better, because of their higher water content, but in the dry season, only succulents (like the ice plant used in SoCal as a fire break) will survive a fire without being burned to the ground. Remembering the times I've tramped over recently-burned-over hills back when I was in the Boy Scouts spreading seed to get soil cover in place to prevent erosion, though, you'll still find clumps that escaped the full force of the fire because of wind or terrain.
 _GOTOTOP