_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Importing Paints in Canada?
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi all,
So, I recall reading a while ago that there's some 'issue' with trying to get enamel paints in Canada?
It's been a while since I saw that, but I've been starting to shop online a bit, and I'm honestly curious about trying some of Mig's (Ammo's?) paints / washes, So I'd like to know if there's anything I should expect with buying some online.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but yeah... Better safe than sorry IMO.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
You will find it a little difficult, some online vendors will not ship enamels out of the country. You can try some of the Asian vendors, but they will only ship via ground, hence you could wait up to 3 months for them.

The biggest issue is there is not a full online vendor in Canada for Ammo by Mig, which I wish there was. I am a big fan of Ammo by Mig, but find it difficult to find. I usually stock up when at AMPS shows south of the border.
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You will find it a little difficult, some online vendors will not ship enamels out of the country. You can try some of the Asian vendors, but they will only ship via ground, hence you could wait up to 3 months for them.

The biggest issue is there is not a full online vendor in Canada for Ammo by Mig, which I wish there was. I am a big fan of Ammo by Mig, but find it difficult to find. I usually stock up when at AMPS shows south of the border.

Thanks for the quick response.
But what exactly do you mean by 'difficult' in this case? I'm admittably planning to place a rather decently sized order from a German site (MBK, I've got reasons, lol... VERY expensive shipping otherwise though!), and it doesnt seem like they have a stock issue. And I dont SEE anything saying they wont ship it outside of Germany.
And good to know someone's got a good opinion of them! I'm just curious as the LHS here only stocks Vallejo... No issues with their paint, but options are nice.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 03:58 AM UTC
By difficult, there are a couple of stores in Canada that carry Ammo by Mig, but they don't have their inventory online, and you have to email back and forth to be able to place an order.

What I would like to see is a Canadian online vendor with inventory online that I can pick from and it ships from inside Canada.
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By difficult, there are a couple of stores in Canada that carry Ammo by Mig, but they don't have their inventory online, and you have to email back and forth to be able to place an order.

What I would like to see is a Canadian online vendor with inventory online that I can pick from and it ships from inside Canada.

Ok, that makes sense. I pretty much had to do that when getting kits at the LHS (That and prices being why I'm happier ordering online.), So I'm fully aware how tedious that gets.
So, just making sure... There's no absolutely silly import laws with enamel paints? Ex: Needing to pay extra fees for it, taking longer to deliver due to checking, Or some nonsense like that.
As thats what I was mostly curious about with this post to be honest.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hi

Have you tried asking Cdn shops who carry the line, to see if they can order for you?

http://www.hornethobbies.com/supplies/paints

Tom
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:03 AM UTC
We here in Winnipeg have a guy that deals with Ammo MIG, on line - Raptor Hobbies:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/raptorhobbies/photos/?tab=album&album_id=488988421300680

Luis is a good guy to deal with. As is Trish at Hornet Hobbies in TO.

I have ordered Tamiya enamels from Australia, the only issue being that they are restricted to sending only 6 or 8 bottles per shipment.

And remember, acrylics don't like being frozen - so I never order them online during a Winnipeg winter.
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:41 AM UTC
I havent tried simply asking someone in Canada about getting them ordered yet, as I'm currently getting a few things ordered from Germany TBH (Admittably for the silly reason of getting an exclusive kit and a few other things I want. ). Cheaper on shipping to get everything at once honestly.
I just had to make sure there werent any issues with getting enamel paints imported, but I'll keep those links in mind if my first try goes well!
Thanks all.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:55 AM UTC
I've ordered directly from Ammo by MIG. so far had no issues.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Have you tried asking Cdn shops who carry the line, to see if they can order for you?

http://www.hornethobbies.com/supplies/paints

Tom

I have ordered from them before, but since their site is not set up for ecommerce I find it hard to order from them. Have to exchange emails, and payment not the easiest.

_GOTOTOP