_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tank Engine Painting
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:35 PM UTC
Long ago I found out here that engines on cars, jeeps, trucks, etc. were assembled onto the chassis on the production lines and painted along with everything else.

But what was the story with tank engines? Painted, or not?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:55 PM UTC
Everything I ever saw in photos and film footage was engines assembled separately ,often in other factories and put in as whole assemblies.

That also includes many accessory pieces all made in various places as subassemblies and installed on the chassis on the assembly line. So you'd have the unique maker specific engine colors like Chrysler blue inside of chassis painted in black primer and the body shells in the exterior color.

Remember that aircraft were assembled the same way and the research into various colors all in the same airframe are infamous. (Clear primer, zinc chromate primers, aluminum oxide, interior green, yellow chromate, black, gloss white and so on)

Modern power pack pictures are available online or even from veterans and they show various colors depending on materials. Steel, aluminum, filters in grey, pipes in primer white or wrapped in insulation give a whole gamut of color on power packs. And occasionally you'd see engine blocks in blue for Chrysler built tanks.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Long ago I found out here that engines on cars, jeeps, trucks, etc. were assembled onto the chassis on the production lines and painted along with everything else.

But what was the story with tank engines? Painted, or not?

It kind of depends on what engine and what vehicle you're talking about. The engine casing of an M60A1 is white. The Engine and transmission housing of an M113 is a mid-green color. I've seen them in shades of gray, red and blue for other vehicles. If you're talking about radial engines, that's a different matter, as the crank case might be one color but the cylinders are propbably going to be unpainted. A lot depends on who's manufacturing the engine.
VR, Russ
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:08 PM UTC
As it happens I have the Hobby Boss Pershing which includes the engine and transmission.

The kit directions say the engine is gray, but the museum display in my walkaround book shows a green-painted engine.
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:27 PM UTC
The problem you have there is a kit manufacturer will go with what they have seen, remember the old Airfix C130 Hercules kit they did,well they visited RAF Lynham to measure it all for the model, the one they used had just come down off sticks in the hangar and despite telling them repeatedly, the kit came out with the jacking pads moulded on the outside, anything that has been restored in museums as well I would take with a pinch of salt, the RAF BBMF were just as guilty in the past, the MK19 Spitfires were painted Photo Reconaisance blue, except they didn't have any, so for years they displayed in RAF Landrover blue grey with a splash of more blue added so you didn't notice it was Landrover blue grey!
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
Btw we have been having an interesting conversation on the subject here

http://armorama.com/forums/260337&page=1
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As it happens I have the Hobby Boss Pershing which includes the engine and transmission.

The kit directions say the engine is gray, but the museum display in my walkaround book shows a green-painted engine.

Ok-- the Pershing used a Ford GAF engine which was gray with black valve covers. This is how I found this information-- Went to Wikipedia and typed in M-26 Pershing. That led to the specs, which showed the engine was by Ford, made from 1940-50, and also led to the Bovington tank Museum, which has a real Ford GAF engine on display next to thier M26. Hope this helps!
VR, Russ
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:41 PM UTC
Might have a picture, I took loads at Bovington museum of various tanks, they have an awesome display of a centurion tank that has been split vertically down the middle and separated so you can walk through it and see a crew in their stations etc
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
Thanks! Immense help!
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:16 AM UTC
Google it, Bovington Pershing, lots of pics, eg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bovington+pershing&client=firefox-b&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuhrb58c_VAhVGCMAKHZ2OB5kQ_AUIECgB#imgrc=KPjLXbWHIax2jM:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bovington+pershing&client=firefox-b&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuhrb58c_VAhVGCMAKHZ2OB5kQ_AUIECgB#imgdii=eBXZ1h5D4uxcbM:&imgrc=KPjLXbWHIax2jM:
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 06:15 AM UTC
Beautiful engine reference!
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom