_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Ammo Acrylic Thinner Substitutions?
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 01:55 AM UTC
I have on order some Ammo by Mig Acrylic paints (Dark Green Modulation Set) This will be my first time using the paints, and watching some vids from Mig using his paints, he suggests using his acrylic thinner for his paints as their designed to work together (well of course ) but I'm wondering if there are substitutions that can be used, currently I just use some rubbing alcohol 70% to thin my Tamiya and Vallejo paints for the airbrush. Not sure if this will wreck the Ammo paints if I mix it in? Anyone else in the same boat?
Gore_X
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 07:00 PM UTC
Not really in the same boat,but why don´t you use not necessary parts of a kit as tester for a tryout on thinning Ammo-Paint with alcohol?
I usually get a pack of 2cl plastic glasses for a few cent and mix up a bit of color.Just drop in a bit of the paint and thin it like you´re used to and try it out.
Hope this is a bit useful....
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
Actually, that is a pretty good idea testing out on unused parts to see how the paints will react with alcohol as a thinner, will give that a go for sure, now I just have to wait for the paints to arrive in the mail!
 _GOTOTOP