_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
World War Toons Meng Tiger
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
Morning all, it's been quite a long time since I've posted any builds, so I am going to try and rectify that, I'll be posting some dioramas over the next little bit on some of the stuff I've built over the last several years, but I thought I'd start with my most recent build, Meng's World War Toons Tiger I kit. Needed to do something fun after taking two years to finish my latest diorama (wayyy too long to spend that much time on a small dio, will post pics later on it) so I picked up this little kit from Meng. Being a fan of the video game, I thought the kits looked really cool. Didn't do too much to the kit, I thinned out the exhaust covers as they were pretty thick, ground off the moulded on tow cables on the sides, applied zimmeret, and a fire extinguisher. Tried using Vallejo Mud Effects, which is a pretty cool product, and dusted with pigments. The Cammo is a bit rough, as I am using a new airbrush, an Iwata Eclipse, 20 years of a Aztec, I've had to re-learn how to use this new airbrush, but I've been practicing.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hmmm...didn't know the Tiger l came in a compact model!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:28 PM UTC
That would scare and Elefant. These look like fun builds. Your's turned out quite well. How does it compare to other builds(35/48) armor?
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:37 PM UTC
LOL I think the Tiger rammed itself into a wall to make itself shorter and more compact!
Matt, I only have the Tiger (so far) it was a fun build for sure, just nice to not have to worry about correctness and stuff haha. Its a snap together kit, but I glued anyways, it's fairly detailed, and some 1/35 stuff looks fine on it, but it's funny because these kits don't really have a scale! Maybe like 1/40th? The tracks are kinda cool, they're rubber band, but actually already pre-assembled if you will, so once the running gear was in place you just stretch it over the wheels and your done! I did glue them down to the wheels though as they did sit quite high over the wheels when on.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't do too much to the kit... applied zimmeret,

Yeah, that's nothing really!!
Looks good, agree it looks like it crashed into a very strong wall.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well....maybe I did a little more LOL I was thinking initially on taking out the rear vent screens and putting some PE screen in, but one of the tow cables was moulded right over a couple of them, and underneath the upper hull there are some thick plastic re enforcements right where the screens are above, so I just said to heck with it too much work
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 04:32 AM UTC
Great job with the zimmer. The one I built was fun also. Are you think of getting the rest of the set also?
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 08:04 AM UTC
I'm sure I will, the King Tiger, new Panzer IV and T-34 do look really cool
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure I will, the King Tiger, new Panzer IV and T-34 do look really cool

I have the king Tiger on order. Its seems the Sherman has about half the parts as the Tiger does.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:11 AM UTC
From what I've seen of the Sherman, it is super tiny, like half the size of the Tiger
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 03:11 PM UTC
These toon tanks (and planes!) look like so much fun! I really like the fact that you can build an interesting subject without getting too wrapped up in the details. Sort of a getting back to basics fun building experience. Personally, I plan on purchasing a couple of these. Looks like just the thing for those of us who have almost no time to ever build anything these days.

Jim
LSA
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC
I'm buying one or two of these for my niece and nephew. They love seeing what I'm working on. Hopefully, I can bring some new blood, into the fold.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:03 AM UTC
Andy did one of his typical awesome build reviews on both the Sherman and Tiger on youtube. here you can see size difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1vynqGbn0
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 03:13 AM UTC
Nice comeback KellyZak. This is the best build of this kit I've seen so-far.

_GOTOTOP