_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Dust on a Merkava
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have gotten a ton of books and magazines and watched many videos, but wondering if there is a particular method to employ to accomplish this: Actual photos of Merkava tanks show, on the front underside of the hull, many narrow streaks of dust from the edge of the top of the hull, down the hull. I suppose the best way to duplicate that would be simply to use a fine brush, and paint very thin lines using dust colored paints or weathering effects. I don't have a steady enough hand, so perhaps tape, used to make straight lines, and then letting the painted lines dry overnight, and use more tape after those lines have dried, to make dust lines close together, would be the way to go. I've just never seen any examples of this in any of the tutorials I've come across.

Anyone have any other thoughts on how to accomplish this effect?
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:33 AM UTC
You can buy some streaking stuff. various companies make it, read the mig items here, the Egyptian one shows it and how to use it. Heavier effect look at the truck one.

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/10-ammo-step-by-step
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:46 AM UTC
Thanks, Tony, that helps some. I just wasn't sure if there was some other way than just the 'brute force' method (i.e., dragging down steaks of dust 'by hand'). I suppose a look that isn't exactly straight down gives in something of a better look of reality. My hands are just not very steady. But the slight 'imperfections' in the Mig tutorial looks just fine to me!
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hi Curt,

If you don't want to buy new products you can try with oils or enamels.

With oils you could put a small dot of oil and with a clean brush move it downwards so the oil spreads downward. You could also thin the oil and draw a quick line and later use a clean brush to diffuminate the color until you get the desired effect you are looking for.

With enamels you can do the same as with oils.

Some people also use the airbrush to spray a very higly diluted dust color and afterwards use a clean brush in a downward movement to get the streaks. You have this technique in one of the files I sent you.

Maybe it would be a good idea to try the different techniques and try them with a dry clean brush or with a clean brush wet with thinner (you dip the brush in the thinner and afterwards touch a piece of paper or cloth so that you get a moistened brush) on an old kit firstly so you can see what kind of different effects you can get with them.

Regards,
Angel
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:28 PM UTC
I'll echo what Angel said about using oils. I've had pretty good luck with them when making rain/dirt/grime streaks, spots. Not that difficult as Angle described and the method is very forgiving. If you don't like it just wipe it clean with fresh thinner and start over.

BTW I'm taking the Merkava IV LIC that I finished to a show in a few weeks. The one you inspired me to put the PE grenade screen on around the rangefinder/sight.
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:17 PM UTC
Curt, uneven lines will be better, but if not that steady can you not use something like the edge of a book and use that as a steady to run the brush along the edge. I forgot to mention oils.

This will help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl-VOcWLk8
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:04 AM UTC
Thanks, all, for the thoughts!

@dvsand: best of luck in your competition! I would love to see pictures of your Merkava, if you are inclined!
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
Unfortunately I don't post pics. Combination of laziness and tech challenged. If you happen to get/see Fine Scale Modeler, the October "Spooktacular" issue has a section on the AMPS Nationals that was held in April of this year. One of my builds is featured- the Syrian/Iraqi T-62. Can't remember the page number but I think it's the only T-62 in the feature. Just look for the guy with the long last name from Camp Hill, PA.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:04 AM UTC
Will do, sir! I do happen to have a subscription to FSM, and will look you up!
 _GOTOTOP