Hosted by Darren Baker
CMK 1/35 Kohlenkran DR (Coaling Crane)
Baldpate4
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:34 AM UTC
Although I realize this is a subject area that has all but died out LONG ago, I was wondering if anybody would have any information and hopefully detail photos of a Kohlenkran DR (Coaling Crane), especially the interior of the lower structure.

Now that I have retired from the military and settled down I am getting back into modeling and am working on my dream dio of a BR-52, BR-86, and Karl Gerat Moser.

One of the items I recently acquired was the CMK 1/35 Kohlenkran DR (Coaling Crane). It is a decent kit, but I hate the lower superstructure and plan on using some AKI Concrete effects and other detailing to improve the looks. I also have a huge issue of just having the thing sit there without making the scene look busy and want to convert it to an open door structure.

To date, I have not been able to find ANY information on the thing - especially what was inside. Obviously there was something - hence the door - but what?

I am imagining a shaft connected between the crane on top and the lower floor attached to several gears and/or counterweights and possibly an electric motor to control rotation of the crane but could be so far off base that someone out ther is laughing the back-side off at me right now. Thus my inquiry - if yoou have any info or especially photos - I would be gratefull if you would help out.

Thank you in advance
Robert
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:07 AM UTC
Sorry to say but I can offer no additional information other than to say this was an absolutely horrible way to refuel any sort of large steam locomotive.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC
I Googled "locomotive coaling crane" and found a number of various crane design photos (both real and model) but nothing much as to the mechanisms used to power them. Many cranes were manually powered so I suspect the lower base structure was fairly empty. The height of the base structure appears to varry relative to the size of the locomotives being serviced.
ardoe
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:31 PM UTC
I will support this - as far as I can see when googling "Kohlekran" or "Kohlekran Reichsbahn" in most cases the lower base construction just seems to serve as a heavy counterweight for the crane and had almost no interior...

Regards,
Arne
Baldpate4
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thanks all for your inputs. I am starting to agree and think I may be over-complicating this thing. Arne - I want to especially thank you for suggesting "Kohlekran Reichsbahn". I never tried that and that searc opened up a wealth of new information.

Although I tend to agree with your comments - my continueing searches have revieled 2 things - 1. almost all Kohlekran photos I have found have either a door or service hatch and 2. one photo in particular showed a Kohlekran with no crane attached on top, only a post extending upwards out of the roof of the lower structure.

This leads me to believe that the lower structure may have just been a reinforced connection housing with a simple pivot post attached inside to keep the loads the crane was lifting from ripping the crane off the top of the structure.

Anyway - Thanks all
Robert
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:01 PM UTC
I agree completely. A single metal column up the center of the tiny room which otherwise serves as a small storeroom.
 _GOTOTOP