_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Wilder weathering oils
acctingman1969
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:51 PM UTC
I've read the review on this site, but has anyone here used them? I like the fact that they have specific colors...panzer grey, rust, etc...

cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:00 AM UTC
I just got some. Honestly, I was kind of expecting something like artist oils, which are very, very thick and require turp to liquify. The Wilder oils, on the other hand, are already very fluid, and don't need anything added in order to brush them onto your model. The colors are nice, but perhaps a bit less 'heavy' than other oils, meaning less thorough coverage than other oils, which may be a good thing for you, as long as that's what you are expecting. I also happened to get a red Mig Oilbrusher at the same time, and that oil paint, which is similar to the Wilder in being liquified out of the container, seems to have a far greater density and 'covering power'. I'm not sure I would get more Wilder oils, at this point. Hope this helps.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:44 AM UTC
I used one of his browns to make a wash and was disappointed. As noted above, very thin. I thought at first that the pigment had settled out from the solvent and I hoped more solid material would emerge. But it didn't. Using Abteilung matt thinner I found that the component pigments settled out, leaving brown liquid and black sludge needing constant agitating.

I've tried a couple of his enamel washes and found them quite densely pigmented compared to MiG or Vallejo, needing more thinning.
 _GOTOTOP