_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A new A41 Centurion Mk.1 kit?
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:44 PM UTC

https://hlj.com/product/PLZGP-39

That kind of came out of nowhere!

"The long-awaited 1/35 Centurion A41 from "Girls und Panzer: der Film" arrives from Platz! Based on AFV Club's kit with a newly molded upper body, it's slated to roll into stock late this year."
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
So is that a Mk I?
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:28 PM UTC
Aha, this answers my question from my earlier post.
Regards Jason
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:51 AM UTC
Interesting.... Our club, SWAMPS, is having a group build, Centurions. Anything based on a Centurion so we have lots of Israeli armor and more than one member is doing AFV's Australian version. Nobody will be doing this one I'll bet.
Thanks Matt for the heads up on this baby !
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
Are they making a version with historical markings?
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:14 AM UTC
This would be fantastic, but I'm going to wait to see the kit, hopefully they don't just slap a new turret on a later hull. There is a lot of room to go totally wrong with this, I think even the tracks are different from later Centurions, weren't they narrower, or was that just the initial version with the Polsten gun?
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This would be fantastic, but I'm going to wait to see the kit, hopefully they don't just slap a new turret on a later hull. There is a lot of room to go totally wrong with this, I think even the tracks are different from later Centurions, weren't they narrower, or was that just the initial version with the Polsten gun?

Initial version only. As the owner of both the full and conversion Mk.i kit from Accurate Armor the good news is if they mess this one up I'll still be set. I'm really beginning to think I might get an A43 Black Prince in the near future.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Initial version only. As the owner of both the full and conversion Mk.i kit from Accurate Armor the good news is if they mess this one up I'll still be set. I'm really beginning to think I might get an A43 Black Prince in the near future.

Yes, the Black prince would be awesome also.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are they making a version with historical markings?

Why? The only reason anyone in Japan would want this is because of Girls und Panzer.

Besides Echelon is probably already at work on it and the historical markings were pretty simple. Let's give the am people something to do.

I predicted this kit over a year ago, the moment I saw the movie. When the Black Prince shows up in Girls und Panzer, then you'll get your kit. Until then, don't hold your breath. Anime and manga rule the market and GUP are the biggest selling kits in Japan after robots.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So is that a Mk I?

yup, Mk1. had a 20mm polsten cannon, which wasn't favorably looked upon by crews. it was replaced by a Besa, which resulted in a turret redesign, and then .30cal
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So is that a Mk I?

yup, Mk1. had a 20mm polsten cannon, which wasn't favorably looked upon by crews. it was replaced by a Besa, which resulted in a turret redesign, and then .30cal

Mk1 (A41*) already had Besa. Only some of the prototype/trial A41s had Polsten, but production Mk1 already had Besa, still the same turret though with separate mount for the MG.
Mk2 had uparmored hull and a new all-cast turret where Besa was coaxial in the large mantlet.
.30 cal Browning replaced Besa in Mk5.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think even the tracks are different from later Centurions, weren't they narrower, or was that just the initial version with the Polsten gun?

Only prototypes/trial tanks had 20" tracks and Polsten. Production Mk1 (A41*) had standard 24" tracks and Besa.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think even the tracks are different from later Centurions, weren't they narrower, or was that just the initial version with the Polsten gun?

Only prototypes/trial tanks had 20" tracks and Polsten. Production Mk1 (A41*) had standard 24" tracks and Besa.

That's good news, one less thing that could go wrong with the details in the kit. I found mentioned in reading about the A41 prototype, trying to find info about the track width, that some of the prototypes had a Besa mounted in the rear of the turret instead of the hatch. Was this true? I only read it in one place, and there was not a photo.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

some of the prototypes had a Besa mounted in the rear of the turret instead of the hatch. Was this true? I only read it in one place, and there was not a photo.

Yes, initially it was intended to mount Polsten at the front and Besa at the rear of the A41 turret. But only one or two test vehicles were built in this configuration as far as I remember and the rear gun was quickly removed as it proved very impractical.

I recommend Haynes new "Owner's Workshop Manual" book about Centurion - I read it now, that's why I'm so smart
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I read it now, that's why I'm so smart

DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:48 PM UTC
What ever gets us the kits...we're modelers we change Marking all the time. Just give us the base kit. So if Girls und Panzers gives me a Centurion Mk1 and maybe a Black Prince then so be it, I'll just get some aftermarket markings. Its not like we don't change tracks and barrels...so why whine.

Personally I think Girls und Panzers and World of Tanks have done great things for the hobby, even if some of the kits are flawed we get new vehicles, instead of what we've always complained about twenty new Panthers and Tigers, and two new Shermans...

So in short bring it, as long as we get it, does it matter why?

Derek
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 09:08 PM UTC
Ours is not to complain
ours is to fix and replace
ours is to buy aftermarket when we can't fix it ourselves
ours is to offer thanks to the gods of styrene for our daily fix
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
HobbyLink Japan has a show photo up of the kit:

ossie262
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi All

it is based on Bovington tank museums Mk 1.

its been a labour of love in getting this tank correct and it looks cool I have yet to see one in the flesh yet .
Ossie
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What ever gets us the kits...we're modelers we change Marking all the time. Just give us the base kit. So if Girls und Panzers gives me a Centurion Mk1 and maybe a Black Prince then so be it, I'll just get some aftermarket markings. Its not like we don't change tracks and barrels...so why whine.

Personally I think Girls und Panzers and World of Tanks have done great things for the hobby, even if some of the kits are flawed we get new vehicles, instead of what we've always complained about twenty new Panthers and Tigers, and two new Shermans...

So in short bring it, as long as we get it, does it matter why?

Derek

Have to agree, however bizarre the reason for someone making kits like this might be, at least they are making the kits. If online games, comic books (is it okay to call them that or is there a penalty for not referring to them as "graphic novels"?) and so on are the reason companies are releasing model kits and the reason kids are building those kits, it would be very odd for us not to be pleased by that. As the old saying goes, don't bite the horse that feeds you, or is it don't look a gift hand in the mouth? Now I just need to figure out how to explain to my wife why I'm watching a series about Japanese high school girls on YouTube....
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... Now I just need to figure out how to explain to my wife why I'm watching a series about Japanese high school girls on YouTube....

That'll be a hard one to explain .....
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:25 PM UTC
The angle makes it a little difficult to tell but it looks like the hull is an early long-hulled variant.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:23 AM UTC
Well if they've based it on the Bovington vehicle they have little excuse for getting it wrong. But how many times have we seen manufacturers mess up kitting vehicles that still exist?

However that is a very early Polsten-equipped vehicle (P9), IIRC one of the original Op Sentry vehicles. Looks like early narrow tracks in photos. It doesn't have the turret rear BESA. Yes, the upper hull is "long" - extending back past the trackguards but with a long overhang to the lower hull rear plate.

Some Mk1's were sold to Jordan and used in the '67 war. I've seen artwork of one in a book before, but can't find it now.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:29 AM UTC
I have the kit in hand and it appears to be a beautifully engineered kit. However, it appears to be a short hulled kit with the 24" tracks which will knock it out for an Operation Sentry tank without some aftermarket from Accurate Armor.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some Mk1's were sold to Jordan and used in the '67 war. I've seen artwork of one in a book before, but can't find it now.

Centurion in Action, Squadron/Signal Publications Armor No. 13
 _GOTOTOP