Hosted by Darren Baker
Elefant Diorama
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:51 PM UTC
This one I finished about a month ago, only took two years off and on to do Dragon's Elefant kit, an old Verlinden building ruin, and various figures. Figures are a little rough, I'm trying a different way of painting them, to try and improve them, especially the faces. I've tried oils on them for some time, and I just can't get it to work for me, so I've been using acrylics, and I think I'm improving on them, just have to practice and practice! Water was made from layers of Mod Podge Gloss, I did try using the Vallejo Still Water effects, added in layers, but it just seemed to keep peeling up when it dried? So out it came and I used the Mod Podge, I seem to have decent results with it. Fence was made from cut up coffee stir sticks and spare balsa wood. The ivy is laser cut paper from Jay Works, first time using it, was kind of hard to get it to sit naturally without breaking it when trying to lay it. If anyone has ideas on how to do this, please let me know!

j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:00 PM UTC
Nice Job . great details
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:02 PM UTC
Looks very nice Kelly
Kind regards
Steven
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC
Nice work Kelly,
Your figures look good.I've been trying for years and still not great at them.I use Woodland Scenics foliage stretched into long,thin strands for vine and it works well.

Tom
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC
I like that you shot this under natural light. One could almost believe this was a full-scale exhibit outside of a museum.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:38 AM UTC
Kelly -

Outstanding as always and details in abundance. Always have liked your figures, not only their workmanship, but how you use them in the dio. For having some problems or not being sure on some things, you sure manage to bring it off well. Great stuff.

Mike
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC
Really well done scene, Kelly! Plenty of interesting details and the building & groundwork look great. Thanks for sharing.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thanks everyone! Tom, I usually try and take pics outside on my back deck, I don't have a proper shooting area in the house, I am going to be constructing a portable photo booth, saw a few on Pintrest so I can do inside if the weather is crappy out.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 06:12 PM UTC
Lots of nice work here with many nice details. I use another paper leaf company for the ivy but the technique is the same I think. I glue the vine on with white glue and when it is almost dry I use a tweezers to pull the leaves out from the wall and bend them slightly at the same time. Tedious but effective !
J
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
Jerry, that sounds like a good idea, it does sound tedious, but I think in the end it may be worth it! A friend in our club suggested soaking them in water first to see if they'll curl up any, but I'm not sure if this stuff will, it almost seems like it's a stiffer type of paper and looks a little glossy, next time I use them I will def. try both methods!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:59 PM UTC
You’ve sure got talent Kelly, particularly for composition & narrative. I’d usually say your base is too small for the scene but it actually emphasises the bulk of the Elefant so I’ll just shut up. Great work and nice down-low pics too
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 02:04 PM UTC
very nice dio !! great job
 _GOTOTOP