_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
when is too soon to be frustrated?
imnewtomodels
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:50 AM UTC
Im on my third kit, a tamiya 1/35 panzer II. I've painted it panzer grey and did a pin wash over a coat of future. Not sure it looks ok....hard to pin wash such a dark color.

I'm trying to use oils to apply a filter to give it some contrast by using white and a blue that has a coral look to it. Well, to be blunt, it looks like dogsh*t. I'm using the dot filter approach and its looks horrible.

Im thinking of attending a workshop at a local shop because I feel like I have no clue what im doing. All thess youtube videos make it look so easy but im lost when it comes to how to choose the right oil colors for filtering and in what sequence things are to be done.

I know 3 kits in isnt enough to master anything but the lightbulb will go off soon, right?
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi John,

If there is a club nearby you could go there with your kits and ask the people there. Modellers like helping other modellers.

You can also post photos of your kits so people can help you. An image is worth more than a thousand words.

When we start painting there are some stages were the kit looks horrible but after some more paint stages starts looking good.

Also with new techniques you need to learn how to apply them. There are many variables and you need to test them to learn how to get the results.

Just keep going and you will learn.

If you post the photos people will be able to help you since most of us have gone through that stage.

I am trying to learn how to use the pigments and the first attempt looked horrible to me. Still bad at them but improving a little.

Reading articles about the techniques can help since we might have an idea on how to do it which might be wrong.

IPMS Toronto Barbakan youtube channel have some helpful videos about different techniques (washes, filters, streaking) done with different materials (pre-made, oils, etc) which are worth studying.

Regards,
Angel
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:08 PM UTC
Not saying its good or the best way but thought I would show you 2 threads of mine. You might find something useful or you might not. Clubs are a good place to start, I myself find YouTube vids great.

http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/forums/251819&ord=&page=2

http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/forums/181904#1526921

I also find this thread very useful

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/140764&page=1

And a nice new video I just watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcUJ0BACO4

BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:44 PM UTC
Not sure where you are in the U.S., but there are conventions going on with workshops with some of the best. Check the AMPS and IPMS websites for local and national clubs and shows
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:47 PM UTC
Since you are new to modeling I would suggest the following approach. Forget about trying to achieve the results you see on some of the builds on modeling forms, at least for now. Focus on the basics, cleaning up the parts, ensuring proper fit/alignment, no large obvious glue splotches, etc. Not saying that you are not a good builder but like anything else, sports, job, other hobbies, you need to master the basics before worrying too much about the more advanced things. Painting and weathering are much more an art than a science and can take years of practice/trial and error to master. Nowadays there are so many products and different techniques that it can be intimidating and daunting, and yes frustrating to someone new to the hobby. Not all of us use the same techniques and products. Eventually we "settle" on what we are comfortable with and what works for us.

You should also focus on only one or two methods at a time rather than trying to do everything at once on your initial builds. Trying to do everything at once generally leads to less than desirable results in all aspect and increasing frustration when you fail to see any improvement over time. By concentrating on only one or two techniques you will develop proficiency in those areas and see improvement much more quickly. Once you are happy with those results then move onto the next.

Unless you are especially talented, are a professionally trained artist, or have natural artistic ability the learning curve can be quite steep. Don't be discouraged. Most of the outstanding results you see on the forms are the result of years if not decades of modeling experience. Then there are the three rules of modeling: 1-have fun, 2-have fun, 3-have fun. Build for your own pleasure, enjoyment, and satisfaction not for others.
acctingman1969
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

That Michael Rinaldi guy does some amazibg work and he's easy to follow and understand. Going to look at more of his videos. Thanks for the links.

Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Michael Rinaldi has a series of books called Tank Art which are good investment.

Some more Youtube videos from Rinaldi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlntGqRgcBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJX3BN56EY

Regards,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP