_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal Carrier kits
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:26 PM UTC
There are the old Tamiya kits and a few from Riich and what appears to be a new release from Tamiya as well as some really expensive Resicast versions.

So which are the better kits (low price) and is the "new" Tamiya kit just a rehash of the old ones???
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 03:02 PM UTC
The 'New' Tamiyas, 'Forced Recon' (eh?) are a rebox of the original Dersert markings box.

Not bad, considering their age..

The Riich kits are new releases, reviewed on PMMS, MK1, MK11, MK11 MG carrier & others.

Varieants also available from Riich, Bronco & others

Good luck in finding what you are looking for
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 03:15 PM UTC
If low cost is the criteria, Tamiya will build up to a good representation although not accurate or really that finely detailed. Tracks are poor and front panels are thick. If you plan to replace the tracks, the cost will jump and you may want to consider Riich.

Anther PMMS review on that one:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/models/vehicles/amtam35175.htm

Riich UC's are a better kit. More costly and with far more parts, but accurate and they come in various Marks and versions. Their tracks are link and length, and a better representation.

My 2 cents anyway.

So it really comes down to your own preferences

BTW. Lucky Model has the Riich UC Mk 2 on sale at the moment
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=RI-RV35027
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If low cost is the criteria, Tamiya will build up to a good representation although not accurate or really that finely detailed. Tracks are poor and front panels are thick. If you plan to replace the tracks, the cost will jump and you may want to consider Riich.

Anther PMMS review on that one:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/models/vehicles/amtam35175.htm

Riich UC's are a better kit. More costly and with far more parts, but accurate and they come in various Marks and versions. Their tracks are link and length, and a better representation.

My 2 cents anyway.

So it really comes down to your own preferences

I'd agree with Pete, but wouldn't pay top dollar/£/€ for the old Tamiya, when there are newer, much more detailed (c/f over-engineered ) kits which in their variety from Riich, Bronco, etc., may already cover the exact variant you are looking for.

Can't comment directly on the Riich, I haven't built one, but have a few Bronco's in the stash,
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:13 PM UTC
Aren't the Bronco and Riich kits the same molds?
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:10 PM UTC
Well I just ordered the Mk II from Lucky and I have a set of indy links already. Just couldn't see building another Tamiya kit of it since it seems the only thing that has changed is the box art and maybe the figures.

Thanks for the inputs and help guys!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Riich kits are new releases, reviewed on PMMS, MK1, MK11, MK11 MG carrier & others.

Guys, you don't have to go that far to get the 411. There's also my build feature on the Mk. II.

You CAN make a silk purse out of the Tamiya sow's ears, but it will take Resicast tracks at the minimum (unless you do the thing mired in mud). The Resicast suspension is waaaaay better than the original, and the stowage set includes the suspension and tracks IIRC.

I would recommend the Riich kits hands down over the Tamiyas. They really aren't in the same universe.
 _GOTOTOP