_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What is the best OOTB kit you've made?
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 05:47 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
After discussing the merits of building out of the box versus using AM, PE or scratch built parts the next question that has been floating around in my mind (it hurts) is
"What is the best OOTB armor kit you've built?"
Please let us know your actual experience, not something you've read about in a review or a friend told it is so. The best OOTB armor kit I've built:
Tamiya's 1/35 Char B1 bis
I may have used a little bit of PE on my build but it didn't really need it.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:08 AM UTC
Made or are making?

If making then the GWH P-61 "The Last Shoot Down." Kit number L4810
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:33 AM UTC
Maybe the Tamiya Leo 2A5, only used AM mesh for the turret baskets and radiator screens. Close behind, the Tamiya IS2, only added Friuls and a metal barrel.
I see a pattern already....
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 07:29 AM UTC
So far, the smoothest OOTB build for me has been a Hasegawa aircraft kit. There have been some relatively easy armor kits, but overall for me it was the 1/32 Ki61-I Hei Hien Imperial Japanese Army fighter. I did scratch some extra wiring inside the cockpit, but beyond that I added nothing and everything came together so well. No gaps to fill, no uneven fuselage seam to sand down, no rescribing...just great. I am looking forward to the dozen other Hasegawa kits I have accumulated. So far they beat the ass off of any other aircraft kit I've built.

Maybe except Bronco's V-1 kit, but it had less than two dozen parts (most of which were the transport dolly).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 22:03:53 (GMT).
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 07:53 AM UTC
I think a few years back, many armor modelers said it was the Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF Type 90 MBT closely followed by the Tamiya Leopard 2A6. The fit on those kits are near perfect.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Best as in...??

The most fun?
The most accurate?
The most easiest to assemble? (that's not proper English me thinks, oh well...)

As the starter of the OOTB thread, I like the start of this thread, also. But, unlike my thread, I do think that this one DOES require some qualification, such as was identified in the quote above. I believe that the truly analogous question with respect to 'best', as compared to my thread, would have to be, which is the most accurate OOTB build. The reason I say this is because the reason that most of us do aftermarket parts, primarily photo etch, is to make the model more accurate, possible better detailed, but really, in essence, more accurate. This isn't my thread, of course, but I might prevail upon the starter of this one to clarify that the intent of 'best' in this case is, which is the most accurate (and throw in to a lesser extent, detailed) OOTB build you've ever done. If Lakota disagrees, please chime in!

One point I want to make, though. Unless you happen to be the often disparaged 'rivet counter' type of person, most of us would have a hard time being able to really say how accurate a model is. I know I can't. I can say what I think LOOKS most detailed, but that's opinion, whereas, most accurate should have some level of objectivity to it, in terms of dimensions, how many smaller parts are there to represent detail ( for example, I just learned this last week, from a post in Armorama, that Tiger 2 tanks had 2 fuel tank vent lines with tubing that ran over the side of the hull, which I'd never heard of previously, so a lack of those details wouldn't have been something that I even knew was adding to inaccuracy).
clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
My vote for best OOTB kit would be the Tamiya Cromwell, a real gem.

Cheers,
Rick
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:08 AM UTC
For me it's the chieftain mk5 from takom! Beautiful kit!

Greetz
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:10 AM UTC
The Airfix 1/32 M3 Lee. For a 40 year old kit it even had the light wires, the proper taper on the M2 gun and other things. So you have to rebuild the storage boxes. Every other Lee kit got them wrong too. And modify the tracks but Airfix bothered to put the end connectors in the right place a dozen years before Tamiya figured it out. And it went together like a dream. Academy sort of copied how the superstructure went together, except theirs didn't.

Really a pity Airfix never did any other large scale armor.

Please Hornby, if reading this re-issue the 1/32 Lee and Grant!

Up until about a handful of years ago the Italeri Crusader, M47, Leopard 1A4, M4A1 Sherman were beautiful too. All the hand holds were seperate, the Sherman had details Tamiya still has yet to put on any of their Shermans and outside of stiff tracks joys to build right out of the box. Their Pzkpfw IV F/G is also a personal favorite.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:27 AM UTC
Tamiya 1/35 B1 bis. Beautiful kit. Great detail, great fit, instructions easy to follow, tracks snap together perfectly.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:48 AM UTC
Without taking the accuracy of the kit into consideration:

Zvezda T-90, went smooth and easy
Italeri Stughound kits, except the AA version
Hobbyboss M26 Pershing kits
Zvezda MSTA-S

Accuracy considered:
Takom Chieftains
Tamiya Leopard 2A5
Meng Leopard 2A4
Trumpeter Tiran 6 (needs fuel lines and some research)

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:29 PM UTC
I built that trumpeter bmp1 OOB although I did replace the tracks and there were no real issues.

I also recently finished the bandai 1/144 scale uwing and it went together perfectly although I didn't use the decals: I chose to paint the exterior with my airbrush
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:47 PM UTC
It's still in the box ......
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe that the truly analogous question with respect to 'best', as compared to my thread, would have to be, which is the most accurate OOTB build.

Completely agreed. Nevertheless, the kit I had the most fun with it is the Tamiya 1/48 Komatsu IJN bulldozer: an ingeniously engineered, well detailed, perfectly fitting little gem that can be built with one hand looking excellent OOB.
I admit, I do love those Tamiya 'Shake N'Bake' like kits, even if they're sometimes not the most accurate and a bit soft on details.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:19 PM UTC
For me, it was Tamiya's 1/35 French Armored Carrier UE. It was my first kit with link and length tracks. No problems with the build, painting, or decals.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best as in...??

The most fun?
The most accurate?
The most easiest to assemble? (that's not proper English me thinks, oh well...)

Howdy Y'all,
I'm leaving the definition of "best" to you. As you can read in the post, some of us still add AM to the "Best" OOTB kit they've built. No problem, it's your "Best" kit. Interesting posts, thank you and keep it up.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
eoin666
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:52 PM UTC
AFV Club's 1/48 Tigers, beautifully engineered gorgeous well thought out detailing which rivals and often surpasses many 1/35 offerings
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:13 PM UTC
I must say that my most recent OOTB build that was both fun and accurate was the Tamiya Mk. IV Male WWI tank. It was a very enjoyable build, no putty needed whatsoever and the parts are included, but not mentioned in the instructions, to change the inaccurate motorized version into an accurate static version. A very nice model, I highly recommend it.

Stephen
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:37 PM UTC
Tiger Models Nagmachon. It practically fell together, great build enjoyed it alot.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:39 PM UTC

Takom Maus so well engineered that you can assemble the running gear without glue & it will work without falling apart, (not the tracks)!

It is so well engineered that if you pre-paint like I tend to do it the parts won't fit untill the paint is scraped off.

At 650 parts for the track (300+!!!) & running gear alone, & about 20 for everything else, it reflects the German prototype well!

I only replaced the barrel becouse of user-error clumsiness though... so 99.5% OOB!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My vote for best OOTB kit would be the Tamiya Cromwell, a real gem.

Cheers,
Rick

Forgot about that one, I built it almost 10 years ago, only added Friuls recently. It IS a gem, zero fit issues, and as far as I know, accurate. And gee whiz, add Tamiya's recent Tiger2 kits, both the Henschel and Porsche turreted versions, once again only adding Friuls, and maybe a barrel on one of them.
And I've built several Tamiya Pershings, one OOB except for a barrel, which wasn't needed and the kit part is excellent.
Matt, more Tamiya kits. Hmmm.....
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC
I have to throw in the Hobby Boss M1070/M1000. It has to qualify as the most complete OOTB kit I have ever built. Thousands of plastic parts, 11 frets of photo etch, vinyl tubing and wiring, and did i mention, lots of insanely small parts? Despite the high parts count everything fit and it was a really fun build, and my metal bending skills are better for it. As far as kits that are detailed, accurate, easy and fun to build I have to go with any of the Tamiya 1/32 scale aircraft kit, especially the newer ones, the zero, spit, mustang, corsair, mosquito. Anybody who has built one knows what I'm talking about. High level of detail OOTB, fit like a glove. The decal are usually the worst part of the kit being too thick.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:46 PM UTC
I really enjoyed Mengs T-90 excellent well designed kit that I added nothing to.loved the workable tracks

Also Dragon's original King Tiger with zimm #6303
The original kit had mesh screens plus other PE,metal barrel,Magic Tracks,mold on zimm,I didnt add anything.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Also Dragon's original King Tiger with zimm #6303
The original kit had mesh screens plus other PE,metal barrel,Magic Tracks,mold on zimm,I didnt add anything.

It's so funny that you mention this particular kit, as I am working on this exact model right now, and I have started another thread about the problems/concerns I am having in finishing it, but only because of the aftermarket items, primarily photo etch fenders, and their delicacy. I'm wondering, after that model gets painted and weathered, whether all the painstaking I have given the aftermarket stuff, will really have added to the model in the end. I guess I won't know until I'm done with it. I agree 100% that if I'd have built the model OOTB (save, perhaps, for the tracks, which I almost always think are worth upgrading, just my personal opinion, of course), it would have been a relatively quick and easy process, and I'm sure it would have looked great, too!
 _GOTOTOP