Hosted by Darren Baker
mule
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:19 AM UTC
hi guys I have this old of the m274 mule ,it is made by glencoe it says 115 scale,i would like to know if the deck is metal or wood? any help in on this would be great .thanks .
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:23 AM UTC
The deck on the actual vehicle is metal.

bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:48 AM UTC
thanks Gino I thought you would have the anser .
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:59 PM UTC
first "mules" I ever saw came in with the 82nd Airborne in Chu Lai right after Tet in 68. They were nothing like the one in the photo, and maybe a bit smaller. They were told not to take them off base, and of course they did. A land mine stopped that from happening again. Later you saw them on some of the larger fire bases, but not way out west much. Seems like Khe Shan had some.
gary
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

first "mules" I ever saw came in with the 82nd Airborne in Chu Lai right after Tet in 68. They were nothing like the one in the photo, and maybe a bit smaller. They were told not to take them off base, and of course they did. A land mine stopped that from happening again. Later you saw them on some of the larger fire bases, but not way out west much. Seems like Khe Shan had some.
gary

???

The Mechanical Mule was introduced in the late 50s, so you shouldn't have run across any prototypes in 1968. The only real change was the engine, so it should have looked like the photo.

KL
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

???

The Mechanical Mule was introduced in the late 50s, so you shouldn't have run across any prototypes in 1968. The only real change was the engine, so it should have looked like the photo.

KL

When the 82nd flew into Chu Lai, my unit was doing strikes up and down Highway One. Fat City was still pretty hot when the sun went down, and things were tough south of Quang Nghai. We struck all the way to the Two Corp border, and we never saw or heard of a mule. Some units gutted Jeeps and even 3/4 tons to do the job done with a mule. Was into Chu Lai quite often, and never saw one. Hooked up out of DaNang (south end of the runways), and never saw one. Perhaps Saigon, or where they slept on warm mattresses, but not up north. Although Khe Shan was reported have had them at one time or another (82nd was there for an OP or two, as well as the 1st Air Cav)

The Mules the 8nd had were curved on the side and rear (perhaps 8"). Maybe eight feet long and 3.5 feet wide. Most probably went in storage like their washing machines.
gary
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi;

We had Mules at Khe Sanh with 106s & without !! Fox 2/1
67-69 USMC

CHEERS; MIKE.

bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:56 AM UTC
thanks guys for all your asweres ,I will be starting my kit pretty soon now ,thanks again .
 _GOTOTOP