Hosted by Darren Baker
Bosnian diorama building questions
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 - 09:38 PM UTC
I'm building Academy's Warrior in Bosnia in this scheme - according to Concord book, page 40, year is 1996 1st battalion The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment near Banja Luka in March.

I originally was going to place the model on a dirty, wintry road for a simple vignette but I've been looking at other's posts and perhaps will place it with a building in the background.

Do you know of any resin, ceramic or plastic buildings (1/35 scale) that would work for this scenario? I've looked at (for me) international sites and googled others but nothing describes structures from that area.

Any help is of course appreciated.

Thanks,
Felix
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:06 PM UTC
Been there in 1994 as an ECMM member I can recall the area as mainly a Serbian area.
Since Yugoslavia during the war split into a Bosnian, Kroatian and Serbian part, three different groups, spread over hundreds bigger and smaller areas, most of them started a horifying war.
The Bosnian Serbians formed the Republika Srpska with Banja Luka as its political hearth. So mainly Serbian features could ( and still can) be found there.
Before the war yugoslavia belonged to the so called East block states and thus quite some Russian influences could be seen. The flats were build in the same style as in the DDR, Poland or Hungary, roads were either tarmac (which was not seldomly ruined by heavy tracked traffic) or cobble stones in a regular pattern.
For your notice: in general the single houses showed typical features in the way of roofing, distinguising them between Muslim, Kroatian or Serbian.
Banja Luka showed, as mentioned before, mainly the Serbian style. So looking for 'Serbian architecture' will give you sufficient ideas, I guess.
Please, remember, before the war quite some families built their own homes, with reference to some common community rules (form of the roofing being the most important, though not for 100%), you can easily build your own one. Just google around for Serbian, Bosnian or Kroation buildings and you find inspiration for a whole town in your dio.

P.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:13 AM UTC
Another great place to try would be YouTube.There are plenty of video that shows buildings in Banja Luka along with the rest of the country during and after that horrible war.
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:15 AM UTC
Thanks Jason and Paul - you've given me great information and I have a plan now. I will look on Youtube and Google the places you both mentioned for ideas. Much appreciated.
 _GOTOTOP