_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What about the other M3 Lee?
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:27 AM UTC
In spite of a lot of self inflicted wounds I really like the Takom kit and will be doing their Grant and multiple M31' when they are released. Looking in my closet of doom I spied this

So I decided to give it a shot while I have M3' on the brain. This is a later boxing and has the corrected bogey towers. I will however be using the Asuka/Tasca running gear for this build.

Upper hull pieces laid out and the interior knockout marks filled since I will be doing the interior.

I'd read elsewhere of fit problems on the rear plates and this was a possible solution.

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi Chris!
I was lurking around your Takom Lee topic with interest, and now seeing that you also have Academy's rendition of the tank, I'm curious if you could do some sort of comparision between the 2 upper hulls.

Some people bash Academy's upper hull for having wrong angles in the area of front left corner, noone ever pointed his finger as to what exactly is wrong, but the mud have stuck.
Some people say it's allright and that there are no errors, and I tend to lean in this direction (checked academy hull against plans from Militaria M3 Lee/Grant book and found it to be spot on). Terry Ashley's review on PMMS says Academy is spot on dimensionally, so I was curious how the two compare.

Anyway I look forward to your progress with both kits!

Cheers and happy modelling,
Greg

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:09 PM UTC
Sometimes "experten" can really black-ball an OK kit with false or erroneous information. Must be a corporate conspiracy!
ironhull
Visit this Community
Venezia, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes "experten" can really black-ball an OK kit with false or erroneous information. Must be a corporate conspiracy!

I agree. I have the Academy Grant kit with new boogies and it seems a good rendition of the real beast with only some minor faults. I will buy the new Takom M31 but not the their Grant.
Really interesting in this thread too.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:45 PM UTC
Check out the Steven Zaloga article on his build of this kit, Academy moulded the joint between the left front plate and left superstructure side at 53 degrees when it was actually 50 and the front superstructure side plate to the inside of the 75mm gun was blatanty not heavily sloped enough. Really noticable errors.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC
Don't know about all that, it certainly looks like an M3 Lee to my eye. Following some of the info on PMMS I proceeded with the intent to minimize gaps and seams and see where that leads. I did hold this build up to the recently done Takom offering and they are close in appearance.

Prepping the interior

JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 03:39 AM UTC
Nice work Chris, you are in a unique position, building both kits at the same time. I'm really enjoying watching your builds, and seeing the differences between the two.
 _GOTOTOP