_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best route for an accurate M1A2 SEP v.2
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hello all,

what is the best route for an accurate M1A2 SEP v.2?

There is the Dragon M1A2SEP v.2 kit and the DEF Model M1A2SEP v.2 conversion set, which is for the Dragon kit, but I read somewhere, it would also work on other Abrams kits.

Or are there better options to get an accurate model?

Many thanks.

Thomas
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:11 PM UTC
Academy also has a new tooled V2 out. From what I hear it's really nice.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:17 PM UTC
Dragon actually makes a SEP v.2 kit, which is great. I still think Dragon makes the best Abrams. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/551555-dragon-3556-m1a2-sep-v2

The Academy kit is new tool and also actually nice. My only complaint with it is the clear parts in both my copies have wavy flow marks on all the glass.

Ryefield kits are great kits too, but you would need a conversion for them. The bonus is you can buy the M1A1/A2 kit with the full interior and use that.

Mengs are nice too, but again you need the conversion
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:12 PM UTC
I went with the Dragon M1A2 sep kit and the DEF models V2 conversion. Both kits together are excellent. I also have the Rye Field complete interior M1A2 which is also an excellent kit. If I were to do it over again I think I'll go with the Rye Field kit and the DEF V2 conversion. I'll post pics later today.
DJ
Darkin
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC
On Armorama is Grzegorz and he is working with Rye Field Model ane Def model conversion
http://armorama.co.uk/forums/260680&page=1
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:43 AM UTC
In my opinion, Academy M1A2 SEP v.2 (13298) is the best one of all. Has all the necessary parts w/out the need of AM stuff. Dragon one is good for its age but needs some updates.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my opinion, Academy M1A2 SEP v.2 (13298) is the best one of all. Has all the necessary parts w/out the need of AM stuff. Dragon one is good for its age but needs some updates.

if you say so, I've got all four kits, the academy kits doesn't even come close to the "old" dragon kit and even less to the Rye Field kit, that's just my opinion. The academy kit to me is too toyish, soft details or lacks them completely, tracks suck I hate rubber band track, just me though, sink marks all over the kit. It's a great kit for someone not concerned with the little details.
I have no problem shelling out a bit more for a lot more detail like DEF's v.2 conversion which to me is the BEST v.2 kit, it's even better than Dragon's v.2 kit. Again that's just my 2 cents is all.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Concur. With the Academy kit, you get the full TUSK 2 package, the new "turbine" style roadwheel hubs, the CROWS 2 RWS. The crew served weapons are a bit weak but that is where brass barrels and Live Resin fill the gap.The kit builds nicely and looks the part. I added DEF M1A2 update, with resin and PE parts, and T-158LL tracks to mine.

Just a note, the M1A2 SEP V2 designation has nothing to so with the addition of the CROWS 2 RWS. SEP V2s have the .50 Caliber MGs still mounted on the flex mount of the Improved Commander's Weapon Station (ICWS) as well as having the flex mounts removed and the RWS added.

John
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

if you say so, I've got all four kits, the academy kits doesn't even come close to the "old" dragon kit and even less to the Rye Field kit, that's just my opinion. The academy kit to me is too toyish, soft details or lacks them completely, tracks suck I hate rubber band track, just me though, sink marks all over the kit. It's a great kit for someone not concerned with the little details.
I have no problem shelling out a bit more for a lot more detail like DEF's v.2 conversion which to me is the BEST v.2 kit, it's even better than Dragon's v.2 kit. Again that's just my 2 cents is all.

Strange how people's perceptions differ! I have all four too and thought the surface detail on the Academy kit is sharper than the others - especially Dragon. Not sure what missing details you mean. Didn't find any sink marks, although there are some annoyingly-placed knockout marks on the inner faces of the hatches.

Pretty sure that DEF was involved in the development of the Academy kit. The rubber band tracks are a bit meh for sure, although there's supposed to be a new edition coming out with the DEF tracks and some other new parts.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 07:15 PM UTC
I like the Academy Tusk kit, #13298. They also have another Abrams, #13201. I don't have this kit so I can't comment on it. But could that one be the one that's getting the bad reviews?
I also have the Dragon kits#3535 and #3556. Enjoyed #3535, #3556 is still in the stash.
Yesterday, the Ryefield Abrams with the interior hit the door from Lucky Models. They offered free airmail on it.$60 total if I remember right. But this looks like it will be a top notch kit also.

It's great to be modeler now a days ! So many new companies with new ideas and molding technology breakthroughs. We are pretty darned lucky !
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strange how people's perceptions differ! I have all four too and thought the surface detail on the Academy kit is sharper than the others - especially Dragon. Not sure what missing details you mean. Didn't find any sink marks, although there are some annoyingly-placed knockout marks on the inner faces of the hatches.

Pretty sure that DEF was involved in the development of the Academy kit. The rubber band tracks are a bit meh for sure, although there's supposed to be a new edition coming out with the DEF tracks and some other new parts.

I must agree that we do have differing opinions. I have all 4 newest Abrams kits as well (Academy, Dragon, Rye Field, and Tamiya) and while all 4 have their goods and bads, Academy one is the best bang for the buck when it comes to M1A2 SEP v.2 in my opinion. You need the AM stuff for RFM and Tamiya to make a v.2 version. Dragon's ICWS needs some work to make it look accurate. I did not find many sink marks on my Academy kit and the fit was great, too. As to the rubber tracks, some people like myself prefer them over indi. tracks b/c it's so much less work. Plus, for M1, half of it is hidden so improvising needs to be done only on the visible part.
At the same time, with so many AM track choices out there, you can easily replace the tracks with the extra money you have from getting the cheapest kit.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:30 AM UTC
Having different opinions is a good thing, when i said sink marks I meant the push out plugs there's a bunch of them in the Academy kit, Don't get me wrong it's a good kit, i just really like the dragon kits probably because I've built a few and know their shortfalls. The Rye Field M1A2 kit with complete interior is just freakin awesome! The details are crisp and there is no flash which would be expected from a new kit i guess. Rubber band tracks I know most of it is hidden behind the side skirts but i still can't stand them I really don't mind taking a day and building up indy tracks a good youtube video and a couple beers and it goes by pretty quickly. It's good having several M1 kits to choose from.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
I like the rubber band tracks on Abrams kits. Some of the newer Abrams kits I've seen built up with workable tracks, don't look right to me. There is a weird sag in the front that hangs down by the top of the first return road wheel to the first road wheel on the ground. It should be tight.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the rubber band tracks on Abrams kits. Some of the newer Abrams kits I've seen built up with workable tracks, don't look right to me. There is a weird sag in the front that hangs down by the top of the first return road wheel to the first road wheel on the ground. It should be tight.

Depending on whether the last movement of the tank was forwards or backwards be sag will be in the front or rear from the front idler or drive sprocket to the ground. With indy link track you can pull the track so it hangs ever so slightly.

The track can sag elsewhere when the tank is in motion depending on the resistance of the tracks motion from the sprocket.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi guys. I'm the one who is working on sep v2 right now. I'm using RFM kit and DEF Model conversion. I have to be honest with you and say, that the DEF conversion is not a good idea for Rye Field kit. Why? Simple reason. Some of the parts from DEF got the wrong measurements, and doesn't fit to RFM. I was lucky, and I get all the left overs from Academy 13298 and i'm replacing incorrect parts. It's a lot better idea. I don't have much time right now, but later, if somebody would be intrested in, i can explain what's going on.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys. I'm the one who is working on sep v2 right now. I'm using RFM kit and DEF Model conversion. I have to be honest with you and say, that the DEF conversion is not a good idea for Rye Field kit. Why? Simple reason. Some of the parts from DEF got the wrong measurements, and doesn't fit to RFM. I was lucky, and I get all the left overs from Academy 13298 and i'm replacing incorrect parts. It's a lot better idea. I don't have much time right now, but later, if somebody would be intrested in, i can explain what's going on.

It would be nice if you did a build feature on this kit and your corrections.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
HI guys. Like I promised, i`ll show you why DEF conversion is not a good idea to mix it with RFM Abrams kit.

First problem is the commander's cupola. Maybe it`s good for Dragon kit, but definitely NOT for RFM. Why? Because is to small, to narrow. Let`s have look:

I think the difference is clearly visible. That`s why I have decided to use RFM cupola, after little surgery , and instead of this:

I`ve got this:

I just add a skratch ring at the bottom of RFM cupola

Second thing wich is incorrect is this part:

I`m guessing that is some kind of cover for cables or something like that. This element is to short. It should connect this part

with this one

If somebody will try to connetc these two parts, he will not be able to do it, because this thin part is about 1 cm short. I had to use the part from Academy 13298

The last problem is this part

This must be some kind of shield for loader. This is to short for RFM kit as well. And again I had to use the Academy replacement.

The rest of Def conversion is ok for RFM. So if somebody wants to have a nice SEP v2 model using RFM Abrams as a base, DEF MODEL is ok, but not the entire conversion. Is good to have some spare parts from Academy 13298

P. S. PLease mind then I`m using RYE FIELD kit as the base, and I have no idea how DEF conversion will be working with other Abrams kits available on the market.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:42 AM UTC
I'm using the dragon M1A2 sep and the DEF v.2 conversion with no trouble at all all the parts fit good. I will post pics later.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm using the dragon M1A2 sep and the DEF v.2 conversion with no trouble at all all the parts fit good. I will post pics later.

DEF conversion is ok for Dragon, because its been created for Dragon 3536. For other kits? May not be so good.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
Many thanks for all the replies so far. I am interested in more infos and pictures, especially from DJ using the set on a Dragon kit.

Thomas
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks for all the replies so far. I am interested in more infos and pictures, especially from DJ using the set on a Dragon kit.

Thomas

I'll get some for you later today.
DJ
Removed by original poster on 09/21/17 - 17:28:37 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/21/17 - 17:30:22 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/21/17 - 18:47:54 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/21/17 - 19:12:28 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP