_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bradley help
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hey all
Have been thinking about adding some Bradley's to the stash but am a little confused with the variant system in use i.e. M2 vs M3 platforms & their sub-classes. I'm thinking of a fairly basic ODS vehicle & an OIF vehicle (possibly up-armoured) but certainly with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at it. I have a couple of the Academy kits - whereabouts in the ball park does this kit place me?
Is there a website which will help me with details about this vehicle, or is someone able to give me a 'soldier's 5'?

Thanks heaps people....
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:58 AM UTC
Of all places, Wikipedia has a pretty good rundown on the Bradley, its development, and versions.

Bradley on Wiki

In a nutshell...

The original M2 IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle) and M3 CFV (Cavalry Fighting Vehicle) were fielded in the early '80s

In the mid '80s came the M2A1 and M3A1 versions which included the larger turret bustle stowage rack, guards around the driver's and commander's periscopes, an NBC system for the crew (not the troops in the back), and some other minor changes.

During Operation Desert Shield (Aug '90 - late Jan '91) the upgraded M2A2 IFV and M3A2 CFV with armored side panels and some other upgrades were introduced. Most units received new M2A2 and M3A2 versions in the deserts of Saudi Arabia before kicking off the ground war (Operation Desert Storm).

Following Operation Desert Storm, lessons learned led to the updated M2A2 ODS and M3A2 ODS versions, which were the versions used during the invasion of Iraq. Externally, it looks pretty close to a standard M2A2 or M3A2, but had more armor, improved seating, and other improvements.

During the war in Iraq, about late '04, additional armor, known as BUSK (Bradley Urban Survival Kit) was added to give them more protection and make them more survivable.

Around '07, the latest version M2A3 and M3A3 were introduced. These include individual blast survival seats for the troops in the back, digital instruments and commo systems, a thermal viewer for the commander, camera for the driver, and a few other improvements.

As for the Academy kit, It depends on which one you have. The original Academy M2 and M3 are from before Operation Desert Storm ('90-'91).

Their later M2A2 OIF kit is a new build M2A2 ODS from about 2003-2004 as used in Iraq.

Hope that helps.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

During Operation Desert Shield (Aug '90 - late Jan '91) the upgraded M2A2 IFV and M3A2 CFV with armored side plates and some other upgrades were introduced.

Basic M2A2 and M3A2 were introduced a couple of years earlier before ODS, in late 80s.
Contrary to popular belief the so called ODS was not a result of ODS lessons, but a result of trials conducted in and after 1987 (if I remember correctly) and it was introduced shortly before the ODS. Actually some units received their first Bradleys in this version shortly before the start of ODS in Saudi Arabia to replace their A0/A1s and they used them in combat during ODS. Those early ODS Bradleys still had a swimming barrier installed, but most other modifications were already in place. Further modifications, like the elimination of the swim barrier were indeed introduced after the ODS.

Also you didn't mention A1 versions, which were important step in evolution from M2 to M2A2, but unfortunately are not available in a kit form...

BUSK was first used around 2004, but it was designed and trialed much earlier and A2 variant was designed to carry it from the very begining.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 04:56 PM UTC
Agree with all you said Pawel. That is why I generalized years and didn't give definite dates on anything. When versions were trialled and actually fielded can be years apart. Also, I noticed I left off the A1 version after I posted and added it to the list. As to the ERA blocks, yes M2A2s were designed from the beginning to use them, but they were not used operationally until Iraq in about '04.

As far as Bradley models go, there have been quite a few versions, most trace their lineage back to Tamiya's original M2/M3 kits from the early '80s. They are pretty decent models of the basic Bradley. The M2 version also came with a partial interior (hull only, no turret interior nor engine).

Tamiya M2

Tamiya M3

Academy directly copied Tamiya's kits. Their M2 still included the interior sprue as well, w/their M3 not including it. They messed up the tracks and molded them incorrectly though, with the triangle pad 180 degrees reversed from the metal track parts. They are also not as crisply molded as the Tamiya originals.

Next, shortly after Operation Desert Storm in the early '90s, Tamiya introduced their M2A2 kit. This version included the necessary upgrades to make an M2A2, but deleted the interior sprue, which was still applicable to this version.

Following the invasion of Iraq, Tamiya introduced the M2A2 ODS. It represents a rebuilt ODS version as used by 3 ID and has many of the ODS upgrades included. It also does not have the interior, which was still used on many of these vehicles.

About this same time, Academy also updated their Bradley and made an M2A2 ODS as well. It is a little different than the Tamiya one and represents a new-build M2A2 ODS with just about all the ODS upgrades included. It is also a type that was used by 3 ID in the initial invasion of Iraq and other units that followed. No interior is included in it either and the tracks are still the incorrectly molded, out of date triangle block tracks.

The newest versions are available from Meng model. Within the last few years, they introduced two excellent kits of the M2A3 and M3A3. The M2A3 comes with a full interior in the box (hull, turret, and engine). It also includes BUSK with ERA panels and commander's armored glass, and A/C units that were used in Iraq on the rear.

The M3A3 does not come with an interior in the box, but they do have a separate M3A3 full interior kit. It also includes a different BUSK ERA layout and has standard stowage boxes on the rear as opposed to the A/C units on the M2A3 kit.

Orochi (now out of business) also offered an M3A3 w/o interior. It was a pretty nice kit, but not as nice as the Meng one. It also included the BUSK. There were two versions offered, one as a Standard Edition (all plastic) kit, and the Deluxe Edition kit with a few resin and metal pieces added in.

That about covers it.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:59 PM UTC
Orochi molds were taken over by Kinetic and their kit will soon be rereleased in a slightly improved version with T161 tracks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Orochi molds were taken over by Kinetic and their kit will soon be rereleased in a slightly improved version with T161 tracks.

Depends on what you consider soon. I didn't mention it since I haven't seen them yet and we have been promised this by Kinetic for a couple years now. They may eventually release an updated version(s), but I am not holding my breath.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:05 PM UTC
I seem to remember one being tested, so I don't know if it was ever fielded, called the M6 Bradley "Linebacker". Instead of a TOW launcher it had a four-pack of Stinger anti-air missiles.

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:17 PM UTC
If you plan on building the Tamiya/Academy M2A0 kit, you need to update it to the M2A1 for Desert Shield/Desert Storm
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I seem to remember one being tested, so I don't know if it was ever fielded, called the M6 Bradley "Linebacker". Instead of a TOW launcher it had a four-pack of Stinger anti-air missiles.

A few of them were used in OIF, but not in the AD role.(Photos can be found on the internet). Later on, they were rebuild/backdated into IFV.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are/were a couple other Bradley variants.

The M6A2 Linebacker ADA vehicle was fielded and served in 3ID during the initial invasion of Iraq. Shortly after that they were taken out of service and were all converted back to standard M2A2/M3A2 ODS.

Before the M6, there was the BFSV (Bradley Stinger Fighting Vehicle). It looked like any other Bradley from the outisde, but had a modified interior layout to hold two dismount Stinger gunners and extra Stinger missiles. The idea was that the gunners would jump out and engage targets as they presented themselves.

There is also the M7A2/M7A3 BFIST (Bradley Fires Integration Support Team) vehicle used by artillerymen to plan and execute FA and mortar fires for an Armored or Mech Infantry company. The A2 version looked just like any other A2 Bradley with the rear of the TOW box blanked off as it held targeting electronics. It also had a couple added antennas on top of extended rear light guards and a cable reel holder on the right rear sponson box. The interior is also different with a large operator's chair and computer console and more radios, along with other FA gear in the back.

M7A2 BFIST

The M7A3 BFIST has all the other features of an M2A3, but with a new targeting box in place of the TOW box and the modified rear cabin. This one also has the new T161 tracks on it.

The M270 MLRS is also based on a lengthened Bradley chassis.

Lastly, the USMC AAVP-7A1 RAMS/RS has Bradley running gear and automotive parts.

GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:53 PM UTC
When I was leaving active duty in December '91 there was talk about putting the intel system I was on (TRQ-32V2) on a Bradley chassis! That would've been far out! Might've even been enough to make me stay in! Better to drive a Brad than a Chevy 5-quarter ton truck.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:32 PM UTC
Gino has done an excellent overview of the kits. I consider the Meng Bradley M2A3 the best armor kit I have ever built.

You didn't misread that: best armor kit EVER.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Depends on what you consider soon. I didn't mention it since I haven't seen them yet and we have been promised this by Kinetic for a couple years now. They may eventuall release an updated version(s), but I am not holding my breath.

T161 sprue pics were posted a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/photos/a.226570047510114.1073741828.129238860576567/857872277713218/?type=1&theater
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino has done an excellent overview of the kits. I consider the Meng Bradley M2A3 the best armor kit I have ever built.

You didn't misread that: best armor kit EVER.

Yeah, I've got one of those Meng Bradley kits on my To-Do list... Oh look! An email from Squadron...they're having a sale! Looks like my To-Do list is getting longer!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Missed that. Have a link? I hope it does come out soon and sells really well. I gave Raymond at Kinetic the dims and pics for the M7A3 BFIST as a future release as well. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Disregard, I found them. Looks like they also have detail parts for the TOW and some other parts on the sprues as well. Hopefully they are a good sign and it comes out soon.

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Missed that. Have a link? I hope it does come out soon and sells really well. I gave Raymond at Kinetic the dims and pics for the M7A3 BFIST as a future release as well. Fingers crossed.

I edited the post above with a link.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:15 AM UTC
Gino,

Can you tell what type of Bradley this one is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/pOJDj
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
I can't tell the difference between the M2 and M3
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC
IIRC, the M2 series (infantry fighting vehicle) had the gun ports in the back so the pic posted earlier is that series. I may have them confused though. We'll see what Gino says. I've got a 50/50 shot!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC

Lets see. It looks to have guards on the driver's and TC's periscopes, angled turret basket rear, no side armor, separate grenade ammo can storage box straps on the front of the turret like an M3A1, but the top rear hatch does not have the M3A1 periscopes.

It could be one of the transitional M2E1. These were improved vehicles that later morphed into the M2A1.

From the M2E1 Basis of Issue Plan:

DESCRIPTION: THE M2E1, INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE (IFV),
IS A FULL-TRACKED, LIGHTLY ARMORED VEHICLE THAT PROVIDES
CROSS-COUNTRY MOBILITY, VEHICULAR-MOUNTED FIREPOWER, MOBILE
COMMUNICATIONS, AND PROTECTION FOR MECHANIZED INFANTRY UNITS.
THE M2E1 ENHANCES THE M2 WITH THE ADDITION OF THE TOW-2
SUBSYSTEM, THREE-MAN, GAS PARTICULATE FILTER UNIT WITH VENTILATED
FACEPIECES, IMPROVED HATCH/WEAPONS SYSTEM INTERLOCK SYSTEM, AND
MINOR PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS APPLIED AS A BLOCK MODIFICATION.

Here is a good way to tell the early M2 IFV and M3 CFV apart.

M3 CFV w/plated over gun ports w/bolts and plated over periscopes on the right rear to allow for the placement of a TOW ammo rack inside,

Interior w/right side TOW ammo rack.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:57 AM UTC
Thanks Gino.

Looks like I'll look for a Tamiya M2.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC
My secondary MOS was in-flight TOW/Dragon repairman!

Feel the love, Gino! You're the Man!

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino,

Can you tell what type of Bradley this one is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/pOJDj

Where did you find this picture?

That is C-22 a 2nd plt Bradley from my company (C 3-15 Inf. 24th ID) that was one of three hit on 2-27-91 during our fight at Jalibah Airifield. You can see where the round hot just below the turret.

My friend Andy Alaniz was the driver and killed.

GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC
I was thinking that was a hole I saw in the hull.

I'm sorry, man!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
David,

My Dad took these pictures when he was over there. He told me the story behind them. I later read more about the incident. Im sorry about Andy, sir. I have a couple of other pictures I could post. I didn't mean to bring up any bad memories but these were the only pictures he took of that particular variant of Bradley and I wasn't sure what they were.
 _GOTOTOP