_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Info needed for European SAS Jeep
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi, I picked up an Italeri "Commando Car", I've been searchng for reference and I found this pic:

What's this thing inside the red circle? An extra fuel tank? This is where the exhaust muffler should be, like this one:

Any further reference about this "tank"? If it is fitted, what happened to the muffler and exhaust? It looks like the more modern Dragon offering comes with this part and its associated PE brackets, I'd like to have more walkaround pics of real vehicles, but couldn't find any. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José
bomber64
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:50 AM UTC
g'day jose, i have the information you require as i am a bit of an s.a.s jeep freak. The area you have circled in red is a extra fuel tank and you had to lift the seat to fill it.Not all jeeps had the same exhaust system, the jeeps with the fuel tank under the seat had the exhaust come out behind the rear drivers side wheel.
hope this helps mate.
Andy
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to have more walkaround pics of real vehicles, but couldn't find any.

Hi Jose

Did you see these ?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/4939

H.P.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hi Jose

If you are worried about this sort of detail, then the old Italeri kit has some other issues you might want to know about too. The fuel tanks in the kit for the rear area are way too wide. Look at built kits on line and check out the gap between them, then look at the gap in your reference pics.... the spare MG magazines affixed to the rear will give you perspective.

The front seat and fuel tank (driver's side) are moulded together, etc.

Detail is quite chunky and thick, etc.

Then there is the tyre and tread shown in the pic....

and yes the vehicle was conveniently backed up for the lovely staged pic... check out the tyre groove depression in front of the tyres!

If you are interested, if you wade through the numerous pics on this website, you will find pics of SAS jeeps showing just how varied they actually were:
http://www.specialforcesroh.com/gallery.php?sort=imagename&gal=gallery&catid=25&page=8
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:22 PM UTC
Don't forget the extra fuel tanks behind driver and gunner were wrapped in rubber sheet like the self-sealing ones used in aircraft (don't know but maybe these were just that)
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:02 AM UTC
Sorry for the late reply (I don't have Internet at home so I go to a cafe once in a while). Thanks a lot for the info and the links. It's true, the Italeri kit has lots of issues But I think I can detail it up a bit. Is there further info on the tank under the gunner's seat? Pics of a removed tank or piping? Couldn't find any. Best regards.

José
 _GOTOTOP