_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best Tamiya spray paint colors for the M1?.
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:32 PM UTC
I'm finally getting back into model building after taking a 30 year break from this hobby... Both my military and civilian careers where very demanding of my limited free time. But, after retiring from both fields, I'm now working in a less demanding field which leaves me some more free time. Plus, winter is right around the corner!!

Since I don't own an airbrush system yet, I'm now in the process of building two Tamiya M1 kits (1/35th scale). Assembling the kits are not an issue, but painting is the part where I'll have some problems since for the next few builds, I'll be using rattle/ spray paint cans for the main finish.

That is why I'm picking both Tamiya's first M1 kit released in the early 80s and their current M1A2 kits due to the fact that they had either the solid green factory finish or the later solid sand finishes for OIF duty.

With that said, what is Tamiya's spray paint codes/names... Or another popular, yet common brand, that's the most correct looking early 1980s "green" factory finish that the first M1s came in when deployed to Germany? But prior to these tanks receiving the new NATO camo scheme towards the end of the 80s. Also, what Tamiya's spray paint can color/code would best match the current desert factory "sand" finish... Before being faded by the Iraqi sun?

I know it's not the right area, but again, using Tamiya's spray paint cans, what would be the best matching "green" shade for Soviet armor from the 1970s, up toward the mid 1980s?

I only plan to do very light weathering for each kit since they will basically be on static display in my den at the house.

Thank you for any advice relating to the proper colors of Tamiya's spray paint for these projects!!
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:47 PM UTC
I actually think Krylon "Italian Olive" is a pretty close match.

G
 _GOTOTOP