_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Color ammo 8 inch
bankmannl
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I have a set of AFV Club 175 mm and 203 mm ammo and the colorguide says a band of coppercolor around the 203 mm ammo.
But on the Net I rarely see this option, most are just painted green allover.
What is the right way to paint them ?
The setting is around the mid-eighties.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hi Ge,
I think the copper band, which act as guide in the barrel, is covered in the AFV Club kit. Soy you paint it Olive Drab, or whatever color do you prefer.
bankmannl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi H-H,

Do you mean is covered up during transport on the pallets as shown and then removed when used for firing ?

I want to put 8 pallets in the back of a M-925 truck.
So that means i can paint them green ?

Ge

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you mean is covered up during transport on the pallets as shown and then removed when used for firing ?...
So that means i can paint them green ?

Yes, below is a standard 8" (203mm) HE round ready for firing. It has a fuze at the top (aluminum color) as opposed to the shipping plug/lift ring as in the AFV Club kit. It also has the protective cover removed from the soft copper rotating band. As stated, the rotating band makes contact with the lands and groves of the tubes rifling to impart a spin on the round.

When stored on pallets, as in the AFV Club kit and how you want them, there is a protective cover over the rotating band and a shipping plug/lifting ring in the fuze well. The whole round is dark green to include the rotating band cover with the shipping plug/lift ring a bare metal/gray color. Standard markings are in yellow.

bankmannl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:48 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Both many thanks for your fast replies !

Ge

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:54 PM UTC
Yes, my thanks also. This answers several questions I had had.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, below is a standard 8" (203mm) HE round ready for firing. It has a fuze at the top (aluminum color) as opposed to the shipping plug/lift ring as in the AFV Club kit. It also has the protective cover removed from the soft copper rotating band. As stated, the rotating band makes contact with the lands and groves of the tubes rifling to impart a spin on the round.

That's a thing of beauty, Gino!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC
Those copper bands were very popular after WWII in the South Pacific. I was involved in the recovery of abandoned WWII 8" Mustard gas rounds near Gaudalcanal in 1989. We found 126 rounds, and the copper rotating bands had been chiseled off all of them sometime between 1945 and 1989. When we did some investigating, we learned Phillipino and Maylasian salvagers had canvassed the Pacific after WWII looking for any kinds of munitions they could find to just to salvage the brass and copper. But it was some risk to chisel off the bands on chemical munitions, let alone HE. Besides the Mustard gas rounds, we found many other conventional rounds on Guadalcanal, but the rotating bands were all missing. I wonder how many of those salvagers died trying to get those bands off.
VR, Russ
casailor
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:21 PM UTC
HE should be OD green with yellow markings, WP should be a light gray with (if I remember correctly)purple markings. Color is important on ordnance, it all means something.
casailor
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
U.S. rounds should be fairly safe if unfired, even after all these years. Japanese rounds, on the other hand, are not. The Japanese used Picric Acid for explosive filler in their shells and over time it creates explosive crystals that are nearly as sensitive as nitro.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

U.S. rounds should be fairly safe if unfired, even after all these years. Japanese rounds, on the other hand, are not. The Japanese used Picric Acid for explosive filler in their shells and over time it creates explosive crystals that are nearly as sensitive as nitro.

Chemical rounds are never safe, especially after exposure to the elements. But consider this-- those rounds required some effort to chisel off the bands, and in some cases we could see they had been torched off with an acetylene torch. Not something reasonable folks would do. We left 800 Japanese Mustard gas rounds laying in the jungle, requesting the Japanese Goernment remove them, for exactly the reason you mention.
VR, Russ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HE should be OD green with yellow markings, WP should be a light gray with (if I remember correctly)purple markings. Color is important on ordnance, it all means something.

You are close. WP is light green with red markings. Light gray with red markings is for chemical rounds (chemical smoke).

WP round

This site gives a good run down of US ammo markings. Artillery shells are near the bottom of the page.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
Gino,
Just a caution on using the chart provided-- it's a post-Korean war marking system--during WWII, US 8" Chemical rounds were painted OD, just like the HE rounds-- but had narrow bands at the top of the round, delineating the type of fill, and were marked with the letters "HD". The chart you referenced is for modern US ordnance markings, and gray might not have been used during WWII, and in many cases even long after, as gray is a more modern color designating smoke munitions. The only incapacitating Chemical agents the US weaponized during WWII were Mustard--HD and Phosgene. The later Chemical agents Iike VX and G (developed by the Germans and largely unknown to the rest of the combatants until after WWII) were still marked in OD green, with yellow bands to indicate they were lethal agents-- the number of bands indicated the type of agent fill. Even as late as 1990, US Chemical Weapons were sometimes still found in OD green with the yellow bands-- I have photos of this stuff being un-loaded at Johnston Island for destruction. I only mention this because some here may use the chart you provided to mark WWII and Korean War munitions, but using the modern chart may be incorrect for those periods.
VR, Russ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:55 PM UTC
Good points. Yes, I am referring to modern US markings.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:46 PM UTC
Does anyone have similar info on the WWII rounds markings and paint colors?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope some one comes up with this chart-- I can really only address the HE round, and the Chemical filled WWII rounds. Gino posted a photo of the 8" HE round which is pretty darn close to a WWII marking scheme at the very top of his photos. The 8" round pictured is actually an inert training round re-painted to look like a live HE round, as the real fuze would have been a different shade of metal or black for A proximity fuze. The rule of thumb during WWII was all rounds with HE fill or HE bursters would be OD with yellow markings (hence why WWII and later Chemical rounds are OD) The number and type of yellow band at the top and the data stencil are what tells the gunner what's in the round (For WWII). The more modern markings chart that Gino posted were changed from WWII standards to clearly prevent an ordnance officer or gun crew from issuing or firing a lethal chemical or non-lethal round by mistake, which would be bad if you had a non-first use policy like many countries did during the Cold War, or if you were firing smoke when you wanted to fire HE. Somewhere I have an old EOD chart for WWII munitions-- I'll try and find it. Bombs used similar HE OD and yellow markings, although the yellow band on the nose was usually wider. Solid blue rounds today indicate training munitions, which are usually solid aluminum without any HE fill-- but they were unpainted in WWII I believe. Pre WWII, the US used aluminum rounds and even solid weapons for training, as units seldom were at 100% authorization. I had a pre-WWII solid aluminum .45 until I gave it to my neighbor who's a big gun collector a couple of years ago. I guess this is way off topic-- let's hope someone has a chart out there, or I can find my old EOD guide.
VR, Russ
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You are close. WP is light green with red markings. Light gray with red markings is for chemical rounds (chemical smoke).

WP round

This site gives a good run down of US ammo markings. Artillery shells are near the bottom of the page.

In late 1967, all 155mm, and 8" HE rounds started coming with a white nylon wiper band near the brass driving band. On the otherhand, I don't remember ever seeing the wipe band on the Cofram round, or any others as well. None of the 175 rounds I shot had this wiper band.

We always kept a few white smoke rounds on hand for registering the piece. Can't remember what color these rounds were, as we only used them when we moved the pig. W.P. are rarely fused up prior to shooting because you used a time fuse 2/3rds of the time.
No rounds were ever fused with a time fuse prior to a fire mission coming down. The standard P.D. fuses were a bronze color with a silver tip. Illumination rounds look very different than HE or WP rounds, and are more of a blunt shape. Always shot with a time fuse, but once again never kept fused up.

The driving band comes to you covered with a sheet metal cove that pops off with a screw driver. In heavy shooting they become a PIA. Your always tripping on them! That's why you get rid of them as soon as you restock the ammo bunker. Our ammo crew removed them unless the ammo was delivered to us on a pallet. S.F. often reused the nose plugs and sheet metal covers for the driving bands.

gary

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I hope some one comes up with this chart-- I can really only address the HE round, and the Chemical filled WWII rounds. Gino posted a photo of the 8" HE round which is pretty darn close to a WWII marking scheme at the very top of his photos. The 8" round pictured is actually an inert training round re-painted to look like a live HE round, as the real fuze would have been a different shade of metal or black for A proximity fuze. The rule of thumb during WWII was all rounds with HE fill or HE bursters would be OD with yellow markings (hence why WWII and later Chemical rounds are OD) The number and type of yellow band at the top and the data stencil are what tells the gunner what's in the round (For WWII). The more modern markings chart that Gino posted were changed from WWII standards to clearly prevent an ordnance officer or gun crew from issuing or firing a lethal chemical or non-lethal round by mistake, which would be bad if you had a non-first use policy like many countries did during the Cold War, or if you were firing smoke when you wanted to fire HE. Somewhere I have an old EOD chart for WWII munitions-- I'll try and find it. Bombs used similar HE OD and yellow markings, although the yellow band on the nose was usually wider. Solid blue rounds today indicate training munitions, which are usually solid aluminum without any HE fill-- but they were unpainted in WWII I believe. Pre WWII, the US used aluminum rounds and even solid weapons for training, as units seldom were at 100% authorization. I had a pre-WWII solid aluminum .45 until I gave it to my neighbor who's a big gun collector a couple of years ago. I guess this is way off topic-- let's hope someone has a chart out there, or I can find my old EOD guide.
VR, Russ

you are most correct about the colored band on the ogive of the round. It was still in use in the sixties to a certain extent even though the round colors had changed. The fuse painted black is a standard P.D. fuse. You can tell by the screw driver slot on the side (used for half second delayed explosion). You mostly saw the colored band on white smoke and a few other rounds not shot a lot. I have shot 155 ammo made in 1944, and it was identical to new manufactured stuff other than the nylon wiper. Even the data was identical in concept to the new stuff.

gary
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a caution on using the chart provided-- it's a post-Korean war marking system--during WWII, US 8" Chemical rounds were painted OD, just like the HE rounds-- but had narrow bands at the top of the round, delineating the type of fill, and were marked with the letters "HD". The chart you referenced is for modern US ordnance markings, and gray might not have been used during WWII, and in many cases even long after, as gray is a more modern color designating smoke munitions.

Russ, the OD = chemical was never the standard US color marking for chemical munitions as far as I can tell. I've got a 1927 Technical Regulation (precursor to Technical Manuals) for the 155mm howitzer and it gives the color coding as:

High explosive - yellow
Chemical (gas or smoke) - blue-gray
Low explosive (shrapnel) - red

The minor markings on chemical were:
WP - one yellow band
FM - two yellow bands
CN - two green bands

This system was in place since 1925 according to the TR, and before that (1918? - 1925) the only difference was with changes in the number of bands and the stenciling color.

The 1942 edition of TM 9-1900, Ammunition, General, lists the same color scheme with the addition of other band colors. The base chemical munition color was simply called gray.

The band colors were:
HS, M1 (Lewisite, before they coded it L) - two green
CL, CG, PS - one green
CN, DM, etc - one red
WP, FM, etc. - one yellow
TH - one purple

This is the 1945 chart from TM 9-1900

The 1956 edition kept the same system. (This was before nerve agents were standardized.)

Also, neither the 1944 edition of TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition or the 1943 or 1945 editions of the SNL P-1 (Heavy artillery projectile catalog) lists any 8-inch chemical rounds.

I wonder what those rounds were?

KL
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just a caution on using the chart provided-- it's a post-Korean war marking system--during WWII, US 8" Chemical rounds were painted OD, just like the HE rounds-- but had narrow bands at the top of the round, delineating the type of fill, and were marked with the letters "HD". The chart you referenced is for modern US ordnance markings, and gray might not have been used during WWII, and in many cases even long after, as gray is a more modern color designating smoke munitions.

Russ, the OD = chemical was never the standard US color marking for chemical munitions as far as I can tell. I've got a 1927 Technical Regulation (precursor to Technical Manuals) for the 155mm howitzer and it gives the color coding as:

High explosive - yellow
Chemical (gas or smoke) - blue-gray
Low explosive (shrapnel) - red

The minor markings on chemical were:
WP - one yellow band
FM - two yellow bands
CN - two green bands

This system was in place since 1925 according to the TR, and before that (1918? - 1925) the only difference was with changes in the number of bands and the stenciling color.

The 1942 edition of TM 9-1900, Ammunition, General, lists the same color scheme with the addition of other band colors. The base chemical munition color was simply called gray.

The band colors were:
HS, M1 (Lewisite, before they coded it L) - two green
CL, CG, PS - one green
CN, DM, etc - one red
WP, FM, etc. - one yellow
TH - one purple

This is the 1945 chart from TM 9-1900

The 1956 edition kept the same system. (This was before nerve agents were standardized.)

Also, neither the 1944 edition of TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition or the 1943 or 1945 editions of the SNL P-1 (Heavy artillery projectile catalog) lists any 8-inch chemical rounds.

I wonder what those rounds were?

KL

Kurt, The rounds I mention were Distilled Mustard, HD, which is of the Sulfer Mustard Family. But I did make a big mistake-- they were 155 rounds, not 8", as I was thinking about the 8" projo cans we recovered them in-- it was 1989 so it was a while ago. Distilled Mustard was developed by the British, but was weaponized by the US during WWII. I did work with the later gray and green banded 8" rounds depicted in the chart during Operation Steel Box-- the transfer of chemical munitions from Germany to JI in 1990. As to the 155 rounds found in the Solomon Islands, they were definitely OD with a yellow banding method, and clearly marked "HD"--in yellow. Proof of toxicity was detected with a CAM and an M256 kit. But difinitive proof is the Australian EOD team that discovered them mistook them for HE (maybe because they were OD colored?) and tried to detonate eight of them. When they didn't go high order, they investigated and were burned quite badly and later MEDEVAC'd to Australia. When we got to the scene a few months later (in full TAP protective gear-- not just MOPP in case anyone is wondering) we found 118 rounds in three neat stacks, just sitting in the jungle (plus the eight detonated rounds). The rotating bands had been removed, and the topside of the rounds were rusty and completely pitted from the base to the ogive with no markings or paint visible whatsoever. But when we rolled them over, the bottom sides on several were painted OD green and clearly marked "HD" in yellow, with what appeared to be remnants of multiple yellow bands at the tip. Having worked at Dugway and Aberdeen, I've seen a lot of modern Chemical munitions, and have spent quite a bit of time on Johnston Island with 105mm, 155mm and 8" munitions, among others, going through the disposal process. I can only say although the colors were supposed to be standardized during WWII, it seems some WWII Chemical munitions were the exception. I suspect the charts weren't always followed by manufacturers, or weapons were repainted at depot level for maintenance reasons (My Father-in-law was in charge of a chemical Air Depot in Calcutta during WWII, and when I questioned him, he reported they routinely remarked bombs because the humidity and poor quality of lead based paint used during the war often caused rusting, and OD was the most prevalent color available). As a side note, during the same mission in 1989, we were summoned to Guadalcanal to consult with the SI government about how to dispose of nearly 800 75mm Japanese Mustard gas rounds. The Japanese used the color tan as a designator for thier chemical rounds. Surprisingly, the paint on those rounds held up much better than the paint on similar US munitions in the same area (Fortunately, the Japanese Govt. agreed to remove those rounds for disposal). It's pretty amazing to think thousands of Chemical munitions were stockpiled in every theater, but even during the darkest hours, no combatants used them. If I can find it, I'll try and post a photo of some 8" Chemical rounds at JI.
VR, Russ
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:48 PM UTC
If these are 155mm rounds I guess my question then is really, How did they get that way? It's a bit too much to think that the US chemical-loading plants would use something other than gray as a body color when that's all chemical rounds had ever used. The explosive and chemical shells weren't even at the same plants as I recall, so a mix-up seems unlikely. I'm going to check later when distilled mustard HD was standardized and loaded, it might have been post-war, which would be another oddity. The multiple nose bands are non-standard for any US artillery. The only thing I can think of marked that way were aircraft bombs with a particular explosive filling. If these were the result of field reconditioning, it was an awful, and exceedingly dangerous incident, as those poor Diggers found out.

KL
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:15 PM UTC
Kurt,
There were perhaps hundreds of thousands of of 155 and 8" stockpiled and left in the Solomons at the end of WWII-- we simply walked away from the stuff. Some of these items were deep-sixed in entire shiploads. Australia had been detonating rounds in two large pits since the end of WWII at Hell's Poiint (appropriately named) just to the east of Red Beach on Guadalcanal. I personally walked with my team on a courduroy path made of nothing but 155 and 8" projos for about a quarter mile, which was part of the massive depot at Hell's Point. The US Navy and Marine Corps used another huge ammunition depot on Pavuvu island 60 NM north of Guadalcanal-- the rounds we found may have been removed from that island and simply dropped off in transport as they were found on Mbanika island, just across the Sunlight Channel form Pavuvu. Pavuvu had been a training center and Ammo depot, and Mbanika was a PT boat base with an airfield from 1943 onwards. How these rounds came to be at Mbanika is lost to the ages, and Pavuvu is uninhabited and largely unexplored today-- at the time we were there, the natives avoided the place. After spending 4 years in the Pacific area looking for Chemicals weapons, we came to the conclusion many strange things happened during WWII. Pavuvu and Mbanika were abandoned in 1945 and since HD was developed by the British and weaponized prior to WWII, these had to be WWII munitions , there is no other plausible explanation. There's a good 1987 Nat. Geo. article on "Ghosts of the Pacific" which details the abandonment and dumping of war materials in this area at the end of WWII.
VR, Russ
casailor
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC
Thanks, either my memory is bad or the color code for WP has changed in the 47 years since I went to EOD school. If I remember correctly back then WP was considered a chemical round and color coded as such. Perhaps with the changes to the Geneva Conventions WP may have been moved to it's own classification for political reasons.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
This may or may not add to your SA - ADHD kicks in on a regular basis so I haven't read through every thread: Prior to Feb 1943 HE rounds projos were yellow with black markings.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This may or may not add to your SA - ADHD kicks in on a regular basis so I haven't read through every thread: Prior to Feb 1943 HE rounds projos were yellow with black markings.

I'm not so sure about colors now, I went back looking for my original report, but haven't found it yet (I have a pile of 30 years of documents I kept while I was in the service). I did find a follow up report for four Chemical rounds found in the same area in 2003 by a second Australian EOD team (the place is a dense Copra plantation, with a very thick jungle covering on ancient coral heads-- very difficult marshy terrain). I did find some of my original December 1989 photos which vaguely show "GAS" and "HD" or possibly "HG" (But the HG codes don't make sense for WWII chemicals) with two distinct colored bands on the ogive. Unfortunately, I only have BW photos of the munitions on that site, as we were using a "de-conable" film camera system. I do have some other BW photos of unknown, clearly dark colored 155 rounds next to some clearly light colored 8" rounds in steel boxes on Johnston atoll. These were unidentifiable chemical rounds that came with the steel box shipment. I can't verify the color of those rounds for 100% sure, but they are definitely not gray, and appear darker than the forest green boxes they came in. They are right next to clearly identifiable gray ethylene glycol filled 8" rounds. We didn't have conventional rounds on JI, so these are not conventional rounds. We collected all kinds of unknown chemical "junk" from all over the world for destruction on JI, and there were many outliers and deficiencies in color. These were kept separate from serviceable rounds. I'm going to try and figure out a way to get these photos into digital format and post them, but it's a daunting task for this old Luddite. I might just pick one of you smart guys to send the photos to and see if you can copy them digitally and post them! The Nat. Geo. article I was referring to in my previous post was entitled "Ghosts of War" from the April 1988 issue- it has a sunken Japanese FM1 Pete on the front cover - a good read about all the stuff we left behind--and the author is none other than Peter Benchley of "Jaws" fame. Well worth the read on the stuff we left in the Pacific. In 1989, Because so little was known about the area and how it had changed since the war, we actually used this article as background info for planning the recovery-- it's one of the most remote places on earth, although I understand there's a tourist hotel there now!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP