_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DOT reflector Tape for Modern US Vehicles?
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 05:06 AM UTC
Seeking source or ideas for the DOT reflector tape... the 2 inch tall, alternating 6 inch Red/White stripes that are mandatory on all US based large vehicles that can travel on the highway.

I got some white 3mm masking tape that I plan to paint the Red over, but it's a real pain and I was hoping there'd be an actual source out there.

I've tried but Google failed me in finding any sources that are near 1/35 scale. Any ideas?
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 05:34 AM UTC
Bruce, try looking for Scotchcal, Scotchlite or Gerbercal reflective tapes and films. They should be very easy to find. Scotchlite comes in narrow rolls. We use it in the Air Force for all kinds of applications.

Regards,

Eric
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bruce, try looking for Scotchcal, Scotchlite or Gerbercal reflective tapes and films. They should be very easy to find. Scotchlite comes in narrow rolls. We use it in the Air Force for all kinds of applications.

Regards,

Eric

That looks like good stuff. I'm looking for it in 1/35th scale which means 1.5 mm tall... with alternating Red and White bands about 4.3mm wide...

I have some 2mm tall masking tape (white) and thought about using some 5mm masking tape to cover what should be white and just spraying the red. My problem is it's a pain to do all that in such a tiny scale and then handing the tape after it's painted has usually not been successful.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC
These are HO by Microscale for Florida East Coast Railroad.

You could slice the large ones at a diagonal so you get vertical stripes. Search Walther's catalog. There may be others that are already exactly as you need.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi

Maybe this: http://www.jbot.ca/cars/trucks/stripes.shtml

HTH

Tom
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was just about to use the Licomitive ones, but this site has the exact ones I need!

You guys are great. Thanks so much.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 06:40 AM UTC
I first emailed Jimbo on Nov 9th and got an email today, Dec 5 that the order has shipped. Very excited to see what these decals for truck DOT reflector tape, and state car plates look like! Patience is a virtue as Santa is keeping a list!
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:03 AM UTC
I’m waiting on mine too.

Unfortunately, when I eagerly go to the mail box, all I have are bills...

Mine shipped 24 November from Canada so I’m on pins and needles waiting!

The proofs looked really good!
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m waiting on mine too.

Jim responded to my email saying the delay in my decal order is probably due to the Canadian post during the holiday season. I am still waiting as of Jan 6, 2018. Will let you know when things show up. Jim did respond quickly to email to give status.
salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 01:54 AM UTC
Strictly FWIW...

When I first read this thread I immediately went to the site and ordered a couple of sets.

About 30 days went by before I got an e-mail that said my order had been processed and was going to ship.

Honestly I wasn't impressed at the long handling delay but really I understand these are done as a labor of love and it's not like I was holding a model waiting for these decals - they went straight in my "just in case I need them some day" drawer.

I'd already thought I wasn't going to see anything so I was pleased to get the mail.

It took at least another 3 weeks or so before I got them.

So I opened the package eagerly only to see what appeared to be stripes that to my eye were WAY over-sized and not to scale at all (*). I figured no big deal - just another ill-advised purchase and stuck them in the drawer and forgot about them.

Then I saw the update to this thread and thought I'd add my comments. I finally did sit down to do the math and look at the DOT requirements only to find the decals were PERFECT (I believe that DOT says 12" +/- 6" and these are about 10 scale inches).

Plus to my eye they look really amazing. They capture the look of the reflective tape nicely.

So I can't say enough good things about JBOT Decals - a fantastic company that delivers a great product.

However... don't be in a hurry. And if you live in the US (at least), expect a significant delay during shipping. At least I did.

Best Regards,

Brad.

(*) I also opened the package of container decals from MinimanFactory and thought how horrible they looked so I again just stuffed them in a drawer (yes I have more drawers than models right now :-) ) and about a week later a thought popped in my head about how any decal would need to adapt to the container's corrigation so of course they looked a bit odd.

So add a mea culpa to MinimanFactory as well - very nice decals and 25GBP for a pair of sets shipped to the USA wasn't too bad.

PS I really regret missing the fact that JBOT sold state license plates as well - I'm going to have to place another order

BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m waiting on mine too.

Mine arrived after some delay. Patience grasshopper.

Very impressed! I could never have duplicated these DOT strips as well with masking and painting.

He also did an awesome e job on al my custom bumper codes, even all the 1inch markings I asked for like “CARC” “PANNEL STOWAGE” etc.

I haven’t applied them yet, so curious to see how they turn out with thickness and stuff. Fortunately he sent me lots of spares so I can experiment.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 08:56 AM UTC
Update. Still waiting. Jimbo is very good about responding to my emails. Since the order was originally placed last fall, we decided it was lost in the Canadian post. He agreed to try again with the tracking postage which I would gladly pay when time to ship. Wish I had done that up front last year. Guess I moved to the back of the line for a reprint of the decal order. Just waiting and trying to be good. I travel by road with work a lot lately and see trucks with this reflector tape all over. ISO containers with the tape all over. Would like to do a 1/35 scale 20 foot box with some of this tape decal, but much in the stash so easy to wait I suppose. Just saying. Wishing good things to all.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 02:02 AM UTC
Not Sure of the size you need, but maybe this is an option to consider
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR35359.html

The decal sheet is red stripes with clear film intended to be placed over white painted parts, so you would need to do the white full strip section first.

The US stripes are about 2.5mm wide and 2.5mm apart x 15mm long, so you can cut to thin strips whatever size you need.

You could even cut the German one into red rectangles and place individually over the white stripe if you are keen.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:37 AM UTC
Last note from Jim:
"Hey, I am sorry but I got sidetracked by a computer hard drive failure. All my
data is safe; it is on a separate hard drive. But I lost my fonts, some photos
and some personal documents.

I have been trying to get that system fixed and cannot do any more printing
until it is fixed."

Wishing him well.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 02:52 AM UTC
The decal order came in March 30, 2018 from Jim Botaitis in Canada. Looks great so far! Have not yet applied to kit but the printing is excellent.

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 02:11 AM UTC
Tried my second with Jimbo order placed early April 2018. The decal order was ready to ship on May 14, 2018 so I requested and paid for the special shipping from Canada. Had the decal in hand on May 19! The express shipping is well worth the money based on how long the regular mail took for the first order. Thanks Jimbo for these decals!

_GOTOTOP