German concrete gun emplacement questions
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:47 AM UTC
I'm working on this gun emplacement

What I need to know is how camo nets were used and where to find some in 1/35th scale.

Also I camo painted the gun emplacement since a bare concrete emplacement would easily be spotted from the air.

What single barreled gun would be best for this emplacement? I have a Flak 30 20mm but am thinking a larger 37mm might be better.

Thanks for your help will be posting pic's later in a WIP post.

Ron
Lawyer1
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hi Ron
Surgical gauze is a very cheap option. You will need to paint/dye the net but otherwise it looks exactly like the real deal.
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What single barreled gun would be best for this emplacement? I have a Flak 30 20mm but am thinking a larger 37mm might be better.

Hello there

Is the emplacement based on an actual structure, or just kind of "generic". In the former case, that would dictate what goes in there, in the latter, I guess it's up to you, whatever looks best. How large is the platform?

Cheers

Sean
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hi guys!

1) I tried the gauze thing and it may be alright rolled up on a vehicle, it doesn't look right spread out on this structure.

2) I cannot find any reference to a real emplacement like this. The gun pit measures 3.5"wide x 5"long. This is not the "typical" type of beach defense more of something protecting an airfield or factory from low flying planes somewhere inland.

Then again in war time you throw the rule book out and go with what works best for the circumstances so anything is possible.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:37 PM UTC
you could comfortably stick a Flakvierling in there.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:07 AM UTC
You have to stretch the gauze out a bit ,
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:43 PM UTC
Bunkers for anything that is towed usually provide space to get the weapon in and out so that it's not a permanent fixture. Unless there is a crane to hand, anything in there is staying. Also, you'd generally want somewhere to store ready use ammo that the crew can access without blocking traverse. That's going to limit the weapon's footprint.

Cam nets on a bunker like that will commonly be spread from the wall down to the ground at a fairly shallow angle so that the exterior vertical wall is less visible. It is commonly secured to the bent over lengths of rebar which project from the top of the wall.

In the case of German bunkers, there was a standardised series of designs which you can find illustrated with dims in various books. I suspect that some can be found on the web too.
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
bunkers with original paint
http://www.bunkerart.nl/camouflagepaint_outside.htm
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats very interesting !!
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:23 AM UTC
It looks only large enough to fit a 2cm flak. As for the net, maybe check the net (lol) for tutorials. It may be an old method, but Verlinden's way of draping the net while it was still wet works. You just have to be careful and then remove any residue by spraying dullcote or weathering it out.
 _GOTOTOP