_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpy SA-2
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 01:06 AM UTC
Greetings , All. I just got ahold of the Trumpy SA-2 kit, well, will be in the mail Monday ..... Not having the kit to look at, what version/ time frame of the missile is the kit? I also have questions about the colors for the missile. I have seen some that are light grey/ dark blue grey. The scheme looks neat. What time frame is it? Most of the photos I've seen are Middle East but I did see one that was PAVN. If I go the PAVN route any suggestions on the colors for the mottled camo they used? Also, was that field applied or factory? And was the stenciling painted over, around, or re-applied? And, last but not least, what scheme were the SA-2s on Cuba in 1962? Where they Russian operated or Cuban? Thanks.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi;

The SA-2 was first fielded in the 1960s and is produced in China also, and it has seen wide deployment around the globe. Almost all of the Client States of the Former USSR were equipped with the SA-2 and its Fansong Radar. The Missiles can be seen in many colors and scemes; Cuba even went and produced A TEL based on T-55s for there SA-2s. As for the NVA there were A Few Photo's from the Time-period that depicted SA-2s that had all the Stencils over painted and Vietnamese painted in several different colors.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC
On the SA-2 launcher there seems to be connector between the launch rail and a bracket at the front of the control box in the middle of the unit. From the photos there doesn't appear to be a rod or piston between the two points in ones that are clearly operational, but is there on museum pieces. On the kit there are spots to attach a piston or something. Trumpeter's imagination? Were using a museum piece for reference and added a feature for display purpose (Seems to brace the rail in a raised position) or is something for transport mode (not a logical answer, but ..)
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC
I believe it is a travel lock. I made mine from styrene strip - not much to it as the dimensions can be calculated from the kit parts and from photos.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC
That is kinda what I thought. Though the ones I saw are holding the launch rail at about 50 degree angle.Not conducive to transporting.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:51 AM UTC
Finally photoed my NVA SA-2.
Used a little artistic license on the paint job. Due to the shortage of missiles in 1972 I could imagine off loading the missiles from Soviet ships and rushing them to the launch sights with a quick camo job. u
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:53 AM UTC
Figure is a WW2 Soviet artilleryman, just for scale.
 _GOTOTOP