_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Looming
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
Over, on TL are two announcements[ http://www.track-link.com/forums/news_industry/34610 | http://www.track-link.com/forums/news_industry/34611 ] of Tigers from Trumpeter. The WWII, German type. Along, with the HobbyBoss Panther are we seeing a shift, into a new line?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
Just announced, on fb.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:47 PM UTC
Wow, finally one of all those manufacturers out there is offering us a Tiger I kit!

Just kidding, this is interesting indeed, considering Trumpeters focus the last ten years... But there's not to forget that they are having some decent WWII German beasts in their portfolio already for quite a while...
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:17 PM UTC
They finally ran out of Soviet/Russian subjects!!!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:26 PM UTC
With as nice as the HobbyBoss Panthers are looking, I'm sure these will be popular.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:46 PM UTC
These specific versions of the Tiger have been covered by, basically, everybody. I don't see why you would buy a Trumpeter version instead of the others. Can anyone explain?

David
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These specific versions of the Tiger have been covered by, basically, everybody. I don't see why you would buy a Trumpeter version instead of the others. Can anyone explain?

David

No need to be a jerk. I'm just posting my opinion and its' imminent release. Oh, and a: it's Trumpeter and b: it's a Tiger.
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They finally ran out of Soviet/Russian subjects!!!

I wish. A big hole is gaping in their catalogue where a T-72 Ural and a T-72A should be.

But since ye olde Tiger Is are always big sellers, who can blame them?

Jerry
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

No need to be a jerk. I'm just posting my opinion and its' imminent release. Oh, and a: it's Trumpeter and b: it's a Tiger.

What would make a Trumpeter Tiger intrinsically superior to any other? I can't understand brand loyalty if there is a superior product by another brand. It'll be hard to beat Dragon's Tigers. Unless Trumpeter did a variant Dragon hasn't done and this isn't it.

Panther A's on the other hand are a different story.

And as for Russian tanks? Maybe they could tackle T-34s.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

What would make a Trumpeter Tiger intrinsically superior to any other? I can't understand brand loyalty if there is a superior product by another brand. It'll be hard to beat Dragon's Tigers. Unless Trumpeter did a variant Dragon hasn't done and this isn't it.

Panther A's on the other hand are a different story.

And as for Russian tanks? Maybe they could tackle T-34s.

I don't look at it as "Trumpeter". It could be any of the popular companies. They they have more modern technology than a kit produced a few years, before.
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC
I would need to see four things for me to be interested.

1. Historically accurate representations of the equipment to include proper decals.
2. Fewer parts than Dragon who seem to want to inundate us with overly complex engineering.
3. better price point.
4. Properly scaled accurate molded on Zimmerit where proper.

If they hit those four, I'll buy.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
Unfortunately, some builders have lower budgets, so "price point" must be the major factor for them.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:03 AM UTC
It should be noted that I am not intentionally condescending to other manufactures or that I have a closer relationship, with others. I do not ingherently believe that one will be better than an other, based on merit. But, rather through progression of technology could and likely would fit in German market for different builders. The Tiger is a niche market and how many kits hit four bull's-eyes?
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:26 AM UTC
This is BIG!!!Hope we will be able to get some panzers or even better versions of panzer versions never available before(such as a Panzer III Ausf.A).
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David

Local market?
A pricing niche? Hey Boss, this is very popular subject, lets underbid the competition and make $$$$$
/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

Local market?
A pricing niche? Hey Boss, this is very popular subject, lets underbid the competition and make $$$$$
/ Robin

Not a "pricing niche". It's a "market niche". There are several people that build Tigers. I used to concentrate on Pz.III's and IV's. I would think some of them would purchase another Tiger to work off of or it may be more readily available.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David

You have to look at it as: Why didn't people buy one of those other kits? There are myriad answers:

It costs too much.
It has too many parts.
It's not detailed enough.
It has vinyl tracks.
It has indy-link tracks.
It has DS tracks.
It's the wrong version.
It has zimmerit molded on.
It doesn't have zimmerit molded on.
It doesn't have an interior.
It has an interior.
Their plastic is too brittle.
Their plastic is too soft.
They wouldn't sell me an extra part twelve years after the kit went out of production. I'll never buy from them again!
Some guy on the internet pointed out all the missing hoses, wrong brackets, and incorrect hatch pads on the interior. That took the fun out of it for me.

If a company can address some of those concerns that's customers they can get.

At least that's the thought.

KL
LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 06:52 AM UTC
People did buy one of those other kits. The people on here may well have bought several. If you like Tigers you've probably built several - why build the same kit over and over. I do it with Pz.Kpfw IVs and if I can get them at a decent price I enjoy building different companies offerings to compare the builds. So the more choice the better.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How is he being a jerk? it's the truth, and an honest question. You're the jerk with a reply like that...defensive much?

Jim
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:12 PM UTC
Yes, it was a straight question, expressing exactly what I thought. I didn't say it sarcastically or anything.

Now, with this reply

"Oh, and a: it's Trumpeter"

I don't know what is being said. I don't know much about Trumpeter. The reply is referencing information that isn't in my head.

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's the wrong version.

That particular reason doesn't belong in the list, anyway. Because these Trumpeter kits are the same versions as what's available.

David
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:20 PM UTC
I think people forget that the North American hobby market does not figure into kit manufacturers decision making.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:57 PM UTC
Outside of Dragon and Rye Field all the other myriad of Tiger kits date from the last century (or look like they do ) Maybe they're not aiming at Dragon but at those who would otherwise buy Tamiya or Academy or who still think the Italeri Tiger I is an option.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's the wrong version.

That particular reason doesn't belong in the list, anyway. Because these Trumpeter kits are the same versions as what's available.

David

Given the minute differences between some of the existing Tiger kits, it seems that "version" has a very narrow definition for this tank. Simply finding a post that says "You need a different fender to make this kit into Y" provides an opportunity.

KL
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Given the minute differences between some of the existing Tiger kits, it seems that "version" has a very narrow definition for this tank.

I'm talking about significant differences. For example, take the first "Mid" Tigers. How are they different to the end-of-run "mid" Tigers that every manufacturer covers?

- Different tracks
- Hull roof has S-mine fittings

There are many smaller differences that could be covered by including alternate parts. But I have not seen any Tiger kit supplying two sets of tracks or two hull roofs. The differences are large enough to force the creation of distinct kits.

Or, take the African Tiger that sits in Fort Benning right now. Why does no kit build it correctly, when there are two fine "African" Tigers from Rye Field and Dragon?

- Different hull roof (all cable clamps are moved)
- Different mudguards and side skirts

Once again, these are large pieces and they oblige you to release distinct kits.

My point is, three or four such "unavailable" versions do exist and Trumpeter are not going near them. They're releasing versions that just about everybody has covered.

Now, compare that to what Rye Field did. Their first release was an African Tiger; people had been crying out for an affordable one. They followed up with a version that nobody had ever covered (kit 5003), and a version that Italeri had botched (kit 5008). That's how to grab the attention of the Tiger builders.

David
 _GOTOTOP