_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
The Workhorses Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 10:39 PM UTC
So I was thinking (always dangerous), there hasn't been a Sherman campaign in a while and maybe it's time for one. Then I thought, well, not EVERYONE likes the Sherman (though why not is beyond me), so maybe a Sherman vs Panzer IV campaign. But what about our Eastern Front friends? This lead me to my current idea: a campaign for the M4, Pz,Kpfw. IV, and T-34, the true workhorses of their respective armies, they were there at the beginning of their country's participation in the war and were still in the front lines at the end.

This one has lots of potential, everyone who has a stash of armor kits has to have at least one of these hidden away (or, like me, several of each) and there's lots of variety. I'm envisioning allowing any version of any of the three that actually saw action in WWII. It could have been used by the country who introduced it or one of their allies.

What do you all think? Does it sound interesting enough to get it going? Let me know below!

Michael
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:14 PM UTC
Depending on dates, there's always room for another Shermie on the shelf! I'd be on board...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
Over committed already but if the end date could be late autumn 2018 I would consider joining. Got a few to choose from.

Is it strictly WW II or could a survivor soldiering on somewhere else be allowed (IDF M-50 / M-51, Pz IV's in Syria, T-34's all over the world) ?

/ Robin
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Over committed already but if the end date could be late autumn 2018 I would consider joining. Got a few to choose from.

Is it strictly WW II or could a survivor soldiering on somewhere else be allowed (IDF M-50 / M-51, Pz IV's in Syria, T-34's all over the world) ?

/ Robin

Robin,

I was thinking more along the lines of during WWII, since that's when they were the workhorses. But I'm open to changing my mind if others want to widen it out.

Michael
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Robin,

I was thinking more along the lines of during WWII, since that's when they were the workhorses. But I'm open to changing my mind if others want to widen it out.

Michael

We can make a poll when there are more volunteers
I have kits for both options so I just needed a clarificaton.

Gun tanks only I presume.

Maybe there could be a future campaign:
"Soldiering on" for all the tanks/chassis that kept on working after 1945 .....

/ Robin
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
I’m in! Always time for another Sherman!
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:54 AM UTC
I have a few panzer 4s and a couple of shermans
depending on the dates. I'm in.

Andy
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:22 PM UTC
Plenty of Panzer IV's.
I'm in.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
I have Pz IV's and Shermans aplenty. Count me in.

G
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:35 PM UTC
Im on board!

I also like Robin's idea of the Soldiering On campaign, count me in for that one as well.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC
Depending on when this runs to I am in. I am currently in 3 campaigns as it is

I have 4 variants of Sherman in the stash!

Question I have is would it have to be the traditional tank version of these vehicles or could we do derivatives i.e. tank destroyers based on the hull like the M-10 / JagdPanzer IV/70 / SU-85?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question I have is would it have to be the traditional tank version of these vehicles or could we do derivatives i.e. tank destroyers based on the hull like the M-10 / JagdPanzer IV/70 / SU-85?

I'd like to keep it simple and limit it to gun tanks, but again I'm open to convincing otherwise.

I like Robin's Soldiering On idea as well!

Meanwhile, if I'm counting right, we already have 9 interested in this one. Anyone else?

Michael
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'd like to keep it simple and limit it to gun tanks, but again I'm open to convincing otherwise.

I like Robin's Soldiering On idea as well!

Meanwhile, if I'm counting right, we already have 9 interested in this one. Anyone else?

Michael

My opinion, for what it is worth, only gun tanks this time. Save the 'Soldiering On' and 'Derivatives' for later, two campaign ideas for free

Soldiering On would be all the tanks and rebuilds that were kept in use long after their 'Best Before'-date.
A Sherman or Stuart chassis rebuilt with a bigger engine and used in tractor pulling contests would be possible.

I think it is a Stuart chassis

Pulls Britains largest plough, not exactly tractor pulling but close.Could that sign be correct? Was that type of transmission cover seen at El-Alamein ???

Working in the forestry business

Derivatives could be anything else that the chassis was used for in the time frame when the gun tank was still 'state-of-the-art': everything except the gun tanks. Prototypes, one-offs, paper-panzers, field conversions, anything goes as long as the "original" chassis is used. The Nashorn which used a combination of Pz III and Pz IV chassis would be just on the limit of allowed.

Just my opinion ....

I think I'll go with a plain gun tank this time and save the derivatives and "zombies" for later

/ Robin
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 01:32 PM UTC
Technically this could extend to the Matilda 2 as they were produced before the start of the war, were in the fighting from the outset and were still in use at the end.

They were the mainstay of the Australian army and saw service with Australia longer than you 'tardy to attend fellows' were in the war.....
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Technically this could extend to the Matilda 2 as they were produced before the start of the war, were in the fighting from the outset and were still in use at the end.

They were the mainstay of the Australian army and saw service with Australia longer than you 'tardy to attend fellows' were in the war.....

I guess you could call the Matilda a "workhorse"; when it was working, or this that a pre-requisite?

Count me in-there's plenty of Shermans, Mk. IV's and T-34's to work with. Got 'em all in my stash...

Take care,
Don "Lakota"

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter,

While I certainly don't discount the role the Matilda played, in terms of sheer numbers and variants produced as well as it's centrality in the service of its native country's military, I don't think it's in the same category as the Panzer IV, T-34, and M4.

Anyway, I think that's 10! I'll whip up a proposal and see if John will approve it.

Michael
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter,

While I certainly don't discount the role the Matilda played, in terms of sheer numbers and variants produced as well as it's centrality in the service of its native country's military, I don't think it's in the same category as the Panzer IV, T-34, and M4.

Michael

Sorry Michael, I realised that the numbers built was a key element on what was proposed.

My post was more in jest; a play on your "there at the start of the war" comment, as the Shermie was not around in 1939. I should have added a to highlight that.

I've a few other builds I enrolled for, but depending on timeframe and my progress, I would be interested here too. I have at least one kit of each of the 3 in my stash.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 09:25 AM UTC
I guess I am in with Academy's M4a3/76(W)"Battle of the Bulge" kit.

Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
Ok fellas,

You can read the regs & rules, and enlist: HERE!!!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok fellas,

You can read the regs & rules, and enlist: HERE!!!

I enlisted first, I enlisted first

Probably some kind of Sherman, I'll make that decision in March 2018 .....
/ Robin
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:34 PM UTC
Thanks, John!

Fine, Robin, you get to be first. Sigh.

Looking forward to this one, should be some great variety! I'm pretty likely to do some Sherman or another, we'll see what my mood is in March.

Michael
Kanguroo
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi,
Having not yet any kits, but I'll seek them.
Regards,
K.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:30 PM UTC
I'm interested in this one alright... But if I interprete the rules correctly, then the following "IV" variant is out on this campaign but better be on the still to come "Derivates" campaign!?

http://www.wehrmacht-history.com/heer/engineer-vehicles/brueckenleger-iv.htm

If so, I'll still have to consider a great deal if I'll order one of the gun tanks (I'm too much into engineer and recovery stuff here I guess)...

AND: Proposing mentioned "Derivates" campaign should be our next step somewhere in the near or middle term future I guess...
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC
Ready willing and able
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm interested in this one alright... But if I interprete the rules correctly, then the following "IV" variant is out on this campaign but better be on the still to come "Derivates" campaign!?

http://www.wehrmacht-history.com/heer/engineer-vehicles/brueckenleger-iv.htm

If so, I'll still have to consider a great deal if I'll order one of the gun tanks (I'm too much into engineer and recovery stuff here I guess)...

AND: Proposing mentioned "Derivates" campaign should be our next step somewhere in the near or middle term future I guess...

Marian,

I think gun-tanks are what we're looking for here, though your's certainly qualifies as a derivative! Let's see how this campaign goes before jumping into another one. Hope you decide to join in!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP