_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Dragon: Sd.Kfz 251/1D
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 03:07 AM UTC

Jesse Spute builds the Sd.Kfz 251/1D mit Wurfrahmen 40 from Dragon Models in 1/35th scale.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
Looks Sweet. has anyone released an accurate kit of the crew, particularly the driver fitting properly in his seat?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 03:43 AM UTC
Doubtful, I always have to perform surgery whenever I try using the kit's driver.

HGBARNES
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 11:15 AM UTC
Love this series from Dragon and why I have 3. They build up well and EZ tracks are awesome. This will make a welcomed addition to my collection. Thanks for the review.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:46 AM UTC
So this one's a reissue of DR6284 kitbashed with a D series. Predictable and yet desirable. They should spend as much time finally issuing DR6227 so that we can finally have a 251 A or possibly a B release. I've been waiting some time...
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:32 PM UTC
me want. Dragon has an infantry set that includes these rockets...go together good.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:33 PM UTC
One thing I forgot to put in the review, the price. My local Hobby Town USA has it for $80. And considering that there is no new tooling, just a combination of previous kits, a bit too steep for my wallet!
Jesse
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 07:40 PM UTC
Tamiya & AFV Club offer the same vehicle...wonder which is better? Tamiya is probably simple to build....I would buy this .
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya & AFV Club offer the same vehicle...wonder which is better? Tamiya is probably simple to build....I would buy this .

The Tamiya one is quite old. So, it's a little less refined and comes with the 1970s era tracks that do not have inner detail. It goes together very easily and quickly and is pretty good dimension-wise. Surprisingly, AFV and DML both erred on the dimensions and some other accuracy issues. I built my Tamiya one with the old AFV "Tracks and Whells (sic) kit." I also have several AFV 251s...they are nice but the multi-piece hull assembly is a little annoying. I also like the old DML 3 in 1 kits because they come with a bunch of extras, and options like metal barrels, PE, huge decal sheets, extra parts etc.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 05:01 PM UTC
Good review, nice and detailed. It's a shame that DML still haven't sorted out their instructions for this series. I've got two of their earlier 251C 3 in 1 kits of this version to build that I still haven't got round to. Seeing this built up may be the shove that I need. I also bought a couple of the Tamiya version cheap off ebay purely for the rockets in crates for a dio idea. There really is no comparison between their 251D and the DML one as the Tamiya one's very light on interior detail. Somewhat ironically I used the spare parts I've accumulated from building DML 251's to upgrade their interiors after building them as straightforward SPW's instead of the rocketised version. I'd be quite tempted to buy one of these if it weren't for the price. Is it just me or does anyone else think DML's prices are over the top these days?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:06 PM UTC
I'm still not sure which I prefer, AFV Club or Dragon. The hull builds up easier on the AFVs but the tracks are rubber (although they are very good for their type) and you don't get the extras. AFAIK there is still no "fitting" crew figures for any of them. The easiest way to fit a driver is still to cut his feet off (this must have made being a SDKFZ 251 driver an unpopular trade!), but you can't tell when assembled.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone else think DML's prices are over the top these days?

I agree. There are several Dragon kits that I would care to purchase, but prices have jumped $20-30 almost overnight. The best chance is to wait, until DragonUSA runs a sale.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

does anyone else think DML's prices are over the top these days?

I agree. There are several Dragon kits that I would care to purchase, but prices have jumped $20-30 almost overnight. The best chance is to wait, until DragonUSA runs a sale.

________
I agree too. Better to wait for deals or buy older kits. It's a shame they don't release halftracks with all the bells n whistles anymore.
germanarmorfan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:16 AM UTC
Best way to get good prices on Dragon kits is to watch their sales. Look for their new promos on Fridays, whenever they have a % off sale you can combine them with the best deals section, but you have to be quick and do it Friday night. Just order this for 24 bucks during their 40% off super bowl sale. Got these 5 kits with a list of 304 dollars for just a 100 bucks. 6372, 6711, 6858, 6861, and 6901
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:54 PM UTC
My local Hobby Town USA just dropped the price from $89 to $64. They actually had two boxes, one marked at $89 and the other at $79. Either they had marked them way to high, or got the notice to drop the price. Either way, it's still pretty high considering there is nothing new here, just a mix of old kits. When I built it for the review, I used white glue or no glue because I knew I wanted to fix the errors before I put paint on it. Got it all together now and trying to get some paint on it.

Jesse
 _GOTOTOP