_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building an M113 ACAV for a local veteran
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 07:03 AM UTC
I met a local vet who wanted a model of the vehicle he served on in Vietnam. He already had a copy of the Tamiya M113 ACAV kit, but health issues meant he'd never gotten to it.

I'd long been a M113 fan and built the kit way back when, so I jumped at the chance.

We emailed back and forth a bit and he mailed me the kit.

I have to say I have not had so much fun working on a model in a very long time.
First night progress

At first I was just going for an ootb build, but then I realized I had a set of the old Quartermaster Depot placards in the stash, so those came out tonight. More pics as the build progresses.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 07:11 AM UTC
Nice start Mike. And very nice of you to offer to make one for a vet.

One of my club members is doing the same for a daughter of an Aussie Vietnam Vet who was a M113 driver; she wants to give it to her Dad.

Hope it all goes well for you.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:25 AM UTC

Some more progress, Form chatting with him, the rear hull was filled with three layers of ammo cans I've got the AFV Club ammo cans set in the stash.
The placards are from a Quartermaster Depot M113 interior decal set I had stored away as well.

Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi

I think your ammo cans need to be painted and weathered a bit more ... :-P

Kudos for doing this, it likely means the world to him.

Tom
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 08:14 AM UTC
latest update, some exterior bits, all the hellacious Tamiya e-pin marks in the inner side of the front hull, and some soon to be invisible when posed open exterior rear ramp details.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

I think your ammo cans need to be painted and weathered a bit more ... :-P

Kudos for doing this, it likely means the world to him.

Tom
Thanks for the heads up on the ammo cans, I'll look into that. What is this 'weathering' you speak of? ... and I hope so.

I was hoping to have it done for Christmas, but it is not looking good. I've got some Archer stuff on the way for the build. I was looking over the ancient Eduard set and will probably not use much of it. 50 cal grips and ammo box holder, exhaust guard, drivers scope cover..

Lots of AMPS-level 'show details' are going to be left right the hell out in the interest of finishing in a decent amount of time(ramp pulley? bilge outlet, light wiring) but I do still plan to source markings for 'his' ride.

Mike

_GOTOTOP