_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M48 AVLB vs M60 AVLB
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 10:03 PM UTC
With the forthcoming Dragon M48A5 AVLB, I have a question. It looks to me like the mechanism, mount, crew cupolas, etc are the same on the M48A5 AVLB as on the M60 AVLB. Can anyone confirm this? How hard would it be to adapt the AVLB parts/mechanism to an M60 to make it an M60 AVLB?

New Dragon M48 AVLB

rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:35 AM UTC
I don't know the answer, but want to find out too as I would like to do the same (or very similar) thing, except the IDF version, with Merkava tracks and suck.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:44 AM UTC
One foreseeable problem is with the difference in the shape of the front hull of both tanks, rounded as opposed to angular. Academy has a M-60 'dozer, but it would be difficult to adapt it to a M-48 hull. Read a book about the TC of a M-48 'dozer in Vietnam, always wanted to build one. Still hoping for Dragon to do one. Al
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:51 AM UTC
Man Gino we had one in Korea back in 1976 but heck if I remember, helped pull the power pack a few times to change the oil, but then again , heck if I remember if on the M60 , which I think it was, I guess could look at my picture book we had from there. I am leaning towards a Diesel one. Was not the M48 Gas?I remember a lot of heat behind it.Fry some hair quick.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Gino,

Yes - as far as I'm aware the mechanism was the same on both the later M48 AVLBs and the M60 AVLB. I've seen a couple of photos of ARNG M48 AVLBs with the original launching mechanism and crew hatches but with the A5 hull mods. However, most M48A5 AVLBs were upgraded to be mechanically identical to their younger brothers. ('48s were sometimes issued when '60s weren't available - even within the last 15-20 years IIRC).

Many years ago I started on a scratchbuilt M48 AVLB so I did a lot of photo research and chose an ARNG vehicle with the original launching mechanism and hatches, but upgraded to A5 standards - the model never got finished but that's life.

Changing the mounting geometry to fit the '60 hull might be entertaining, but certainly achievable.

Regards,
John
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gino,

Yes - as far as I'm aware the mechanism was the same on both the later M48 AVLBs and the M60 AVLB. I've seen a couple of photos of ARNG M48 AVLBs with the original launching mechanism and crew hatches but with the A5 hull mods. However, most M48A5 AVLBs were upgraded to be mechanically identical to their younger brothers. ('48s were sometimes issued when '60s weren't available - even within the last 15-20 years IIRC).

Many years ago I started on a scratchbuilt M48 AVLB so I did a lot of photo research and chose an ARNG vehicle with the original launching mechanism and hatches, but upgraded to A5 standards - the model never got finished but that's life.

Changing the mounting geometry to fit the '60 hull might be entertaining, but certainly achievable.

Regards,
John

its is the same for late M40a5 and M60 AVLB to mee all you have to is just modify the assembly to fit the hull of the M60
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I thought the parts looked the same to me.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 08:27 AM UTC
Does anyone have a release date
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC
Gino I would like to do that too. I have the Hobby Fan resin kit and its a M48 chassis. I used the Tamiya M60A3 chassis to put the whole upper on it. The turret is smaller and the brace in the front has a big gap. I hope Dragon or another company makes the M60 AVLB.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 08:45 PM UTC
I do not know what hull they are using but its not a 48A5. AFAIK 48A5s had 5 support rollers. The picture shows 3 which would indicate an A2 hull. Many upgrades were made to 48s with A1s up graded to A3 and A5 and A3s up graded to A5. It could be that some A2 hulls were modified into diesel bridges. I remember hearing some where that M48 based bridges were used in M60 units since they were automotively identical. That could be the bases for this kit since it has late model crew hatches. Early model bridges on both hulls used Sherman vision cupolas.

Tom
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not know what hull they are using but its not a 48A5. AFAIK 48A5s had 5 support rollers. The picture shows 3 which would indicate an A2 hull. Many upgrades were made to 48s with A1s up graded to A3 and A5 and A3s up graded to A5. It could be that some A2 hulls were modified into diesel bridges. I remember hearing some where that M48 based bridges were used in M60 units since they were automotively identical. That could be the bases for this kit since it has late model crew hatches. Early model bridges on both hulls used Sherman vision cupolas.

Tom

The Bundeswehr used M48A2 AVLBs.

This appears to be a U.S. M48A2 AVLB...

http://svsm.org/gallery/M48Bridge

This link below is labeled as an M48A5 ALVB but it has three return rollers...some with the older Sherman cupolas.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m48a5_avlb.htm

Perhaps it is an assumption by modellers is that the Dragon kit is an M48A5 AVLB even though the release information has only stated it as an M48 AVLB.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With the forthcoming Dragon M48A5 AVLB, I have a question. It looks to me like the mechanism, mount, crew cupolas, etc are the same on the M48A5 AVLB as on the M60 AVLB. Can anyone confirm this? How hard would it be to adapt the AVLB parts/mechanism to an M60 to make it an M60 AVLB?

This page seems to have most of the TMs for the launchers and the bridge. It can be figured out, at least.

KL
Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:03 AM UTC
I saw that Dragon USA has it out for February 2018!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tom

The Bundeswehr used M48A2 AVLBs.

This appears to be a U.S. M48A2 AVLB...

http://svsm.org/gallery/M48Bridge

This link below is labeled as an M48A5 ALVB but it has three return rollers...some with the older Sherman cupolas.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m48a5_avlb.htm

Perhaps it is an assumption by modellers is that the Dragon kit is an M48A5 AVLB even though the release information has only stated it as an M48 AVLB.

It looks like M48A2s were brought up to M48A5 standards. A2s were gassers and did not have fender mounted armored air cleaners. Early M48A5s did not have armored air cleaners either it looks like it was an addition to the late builds. My guess would be surplus M48A2s rebuilt as bridges with 48A5 hulls.

Tom
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 06:41 AM UTC
We've had M48 and M60 AVLB Launchers in the 178 EN BN, SC Army National Guard up until at least 2014 when I retired, but I think they still have them in service. (these pictures are from Prime Portal, which I provided to them). Unfortunately, I didn't happen to take an up close picture of the Vehicle ID / NSN Plate.

178 EN BN M48 AVLB:

178 EN BN M60A1 AVLBs:

If I remember correctly, we used to have old M48A5 AVLB Launchers in the '80s (with 5 support rollers), but they were so wore out that if you released the cylinder controls, it would keep going. It was so bad we had a main bridge cylinder drop and push out the brace of one of the bridge sections, causing over $80k in damage.

HTH.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We've had M48 and M60 AVLB Launchers in the 178 EN BN, SC Army National Guard up until at least 2014 when I retired, but I think they still have them in service. (these pictures are from Prime Portal, which I provided to them).

Many of the "M60A1" AVLBs are actually built on M60A2 hulls.

KL
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:04 AM UTC
Here at Ft Riley (1st ID) we’ve got a bunch of M60 bridge layers.

I’ll get some pics, but in the mitorpool they are parked without the bridge and the big front piece is removed. So pics will be of the parts - some assembly required!
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We've had M48 and M60 AVLB Launchers in the 178 EN BN, SC Army National Guard up until at least 2014 when I retired, but I think they still have them in service. (these pictures are from Prime Portal, which I provided to them).

Many of the "M60A1" AVLBs are actually built on M60A2 hulls.

KL

Kurt

now my question is
does anyone make a resin M60A2 rear hull piece with out having to buy a entire M60A2 kit?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ll get some pics, but in the mitorpool they are parked without the bridge and the big front piece is removed. So pics will be of the parts - some assembly required!

Images of the front hull, upper and lower, will be useful to show the differences between the mounting points. The "braces", or whatever they are called, on the lower front are different, two beams on the M48 vs two triangles on the M60.
The attachments on the glacis could be similar or almost the same.
/ Robin
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 01:21 AM UTC
M60? (USMC.mil picture)

Thumbnail:
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Images of the front hull, upper and lower, will be useful to show the differences between the mounting points. The "braces", or whatever they are called, on the lower front are different, two beams on the M48 vs two triangles on the M60.
/ Robin

Do I need to use a M60A2 hull for the M60 AVLB or can I use a M60A1 hull?
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
An interesting location for the smoke grenade launchers. I had missed seeing them in the first few pictures since they had the covers over the launchers.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Do I need to use a A2 hull for the M60 AVLB or can I use a M60A1 hull?

I don´t know if the question was aimed at me. Since I don´t have much of a clue about the M60 AVLB I asked Google about it.
This article on Wikipedia could provide some guidance, assuming that the article has got the facts right ....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_AVLB

This web-page has similar information:
http://www.military-today.com/engineering/m60_avlb.htm

" The chassis of the M60 AVLB is almost identical to that of the M60A1 main battle tank, though the turret has been removed and replaced with a bridge-launching system. Driver's position is located further back. Some bridgelayers were converted from the M60A2 Starship MBTs, that were withdrawn from service."

/ Robin
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 12:45 PM UTC
In case of the german Bundeswehr M48 AVLBs:

Those where AFAIK all using the petrol engine since all Bundeswehr M48A2 "gun tanks" where using it. There where talks about using a diesel engine and even prototypes but even the last M48A2GA2 where using petrol.

Leopard equiped units had a Leopard based AVLB so they where "all diesel"
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 07:46 PM UTC
Nit-picking point, but I don't believe there were any M60 AVLB. All the chassis were either M60A1, A2, or M48 variants.

Hunnicutt has several pages on the AVLB in 'Patton'.

This may be pertinent: In the late 1970's, a project was started to upgrade the M48 series AVLBs to the diesel powered M48A5 configuration. This made use of the earlier vehicles in the inventory and was considerably less expensive than procuring new M60A1 chassis. Such a conversion gave the earlier AVLB performance essentially equivalent to the new vehicle based on the M60A1. An improved vision cupola was introduced with the M48A5 conversion and it was planned to retrofit this item on AVLBs already in the field.
 _GOTOTOP