_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stryker with Iron Curtain
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 02:05 AM UTC
First pic I've seen of the Stryker with Iron Curtain active protection system. While definitely a critical upgrade given how many ATGM's are out there these days, it seems to be a rather "clunky" installation. Looks like it would result in some pretty significant restrictions on crewmember visibility to the sides. Also not sure how all that gear would hold up if these vehicles are being operated in areas with dense vegetation.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/us_army_to_improve_combat_vehicles_with_aps_active_protection_system.html

knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
Yep, that is one ugly critter. Make for an interesting kit, though.
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:15 AM UTC
Looks cool, something out of ordinary
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:46 AM UTC

Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:14 AM UTC
Well, it's a huge start in adding more protection than just against 14.5mm AP bullets.

With the 30mm RWS turret, I wonder how the Iron Curtain configuration will be to protect the turret that now sticks up. I guess one doesn't really need to protect the turret since there's no one inside, but if the turret gets hit, would that mean a catastrophic explosion of ammo?
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it's a huge start in adding more protection than just against 14.5mm AP bullets.

With the 30mm RWS turret, I wonder how the Iron Curtain configuration will be to protect the turret that now sticks up. I guess one doesn't really need to protect the turret since there's no one inside, but if the turret gets hit, would that mean a catastrophic explosion of ammo?

Not sure but I'm assuming those countermeasures can be deployed upwards as well (to protect against top attack missiles), so the turret should be protected as well. The article mentioned that this system is being installed on Bradleys as well. Anyone have any pics of that installation? In theory, it might actually lessen the weight of the vehicle since you would no longer need all those ERA bricks.

This gear is long over due in my opinion, glad the Army is finally making this a priority (at least for a small percentage of Europe deployed vehicles).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it seems to be a rather "clunky" installation.

I'm not sure it looks better on a M-ATV

H.P.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:51 PM UTC
Video of Iron Curtaim tests on HMMWV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yz_ONZltA
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure but I'm assuming those countermeasures can be deployed upwards as well (to protect against top attack missiles), so the turret should be protected as well. The article mentioned that this system is being installed on Bradleys as well. Anyone have any pics of that installation? In theory, it might actually lessen the weight of the vehicle since you would no longer need all those ERA bricks.

This gear is long over due in my opinion, glad the Army is finally making this a priority (at least for a small percentage of Europe deployed vehicles).

I can see Iron Curtain being very useful for static defense such as Embassy and base security where the vehicle has to remain stationary and survive long enough to beat back any attackers. RPGs are what ruined a lot of defensive and stationary HMMWVs at FOBs in Afghanistan.

I would suspect that CROWS 2 would be needed for such situations as it might get dicey having a RPG or ATGM warhead detonating right next to the vehicle while the gunner is half-exposed firing away.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Video of Iron Curtaim tests on HMMWV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yz_ONZltA

Pretty impressive. Guess it's not a good idea to be driving with the windows down and your arm sticking out while this system is armed. Wonder if it works against EFP's or high velocity AP shots?
 _GOTOTOP