_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1917 All-Steel Idlers 1/35?
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hello all, I've got another question that I need help with.

Recently, I've been very interested in converting Meng's 1/35 Riveted turret FT-17 into an M1917, and I've been planning to order FC Model Trend's conversion for a 37mm armed M1917... But, on their site it doesnt seem to show the set having the all-steel idlers included, which as far as I can tell, all M1917s were equipped with.

If that's actually the case, and the set doesnt have the idlers, Does anyone have any suggestions for how to convert the idlers in Meng's FT-17 to work for it? I'm a bit clueless here, as it's my first time severely altering kit parts.

Thanks in advance.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 05:17 AM UTC
I would say that a reasonable representation could be obtained by filling/removing the wooden segment surface detail on the Meng parts to leave a smooth disc with just the rim and hub detail.

The wooden idlers were a bit thicker at the hub than at the rim, whereas the metal ones appear to have been a constant thickness. Hard to change the kit parts thus.
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would say that a reasonable representation could be obtained by filling/removing the wooden segment surface detail on the Meng parts to leave a smooth disc with just the rim and hub detail.

The wooden idlers were a bit thicker at the hub than at the rim, whereas the metal ones appear to have been a constant thickness. Hard to change the kit parts thus.

Fair enough, A quick double check at pictures makes it seem like filling the wheel between the hub and rim would be more accurate. I kinda assumed that was going to be needed, just wasnt 100% sure.
Atleast I have spares incase I mess up (I have the cast turret FT-17 aswell*).

It's certainly a shame that the conversion set doesnt include them, though!
 _GOTOTOP