_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Upcoming radio tutorial,
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 03:41 PM UTC
A lot of my complaints with new modern USA armor kits has been the lack of radios and its equipment, only because I was a Commo SGT. I also told a few that I would put together an article on how to wire up radios for USA modern vehicles.

Jim and Darren has approved me to do the build review of the new Panda Models Maxx Pro. Along with that, I just purchased from Michael Goldberg, via Shapeways, his SINCGAR radio set, HARRIS radio set, and VIC-5 system. I will be adding the missing radios and FBCB2 and showing how to properly cable them. I will also add the missing DUKE system and DVE(Drivers Vision Enhance) system.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 04:43 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Pete

I have a MRAP radio set for my MATV and I'm sure your tutorial will be of great help.

Olivier
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 04:51 PM UTC
Olivier,
As far as connections to the radio themselves, it is going to be them same in all vehicles. What the difference is will be where the power cable is going to go and how all the cables are routed to the intercom system/ I will try and cover that because the battery is located on each vehicle and how the intercom is mounted on each vehicle.
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:23 PM UTC
That sounds like a great article Pete, and will be very useful later.. Looking forward to your maxxpro build log
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 06:33 PM UTC
I'm looking forward to this one myself. Workable comms are important in the 1/35 world, too - even if it's only simulated.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:36 PM UTC
Nice! As an old commo sergeant myself I’m looking forward to this also. I got out in 1992 so I have minimal experience with SINCGARS, the old VRC 12 and VIC 1 systems were my thing. Would be very cool to see someone do this to a M113 model, radios and VIC 1 all cabled up and looking pretty
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 10:07 PM UTC
Pete, I will be watching this one as well. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

Eric
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 11:21 AM UTC
Ok guys and gals, Jim has shipped the Panda Hobby Maxx Pro and these beauties from Mike's MS Productions via Shapeways are in production and will be here by the end of the week.

Before I do a review, I check out Hobby Search for the instructions to review and start my research process. The DVE and FBCB2 is missing from the kits interior, but camera and antenna are present. I managed to find a DVE screen and FBCB2 Screen and keyboard in my stash. I also have a resin CPU for the FBCB2 and a resin DUKE control box.

I will have color coded cable diagrams on the real stuff and in the build blog and final write up. So hopefully I will get started on this this weekend or at the beginning of next week.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:20 PM UTC
Before using the printed radios, you should put them under a UV lamp or some sun for a few hours to a day. When I got the set I ordered it still had some left over resin that didn't care fully. It also would need to be rinsed.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:05 PM UTC
Wow! Would have loved to have seen this when I was building my Kinetic MaxxPro, even though I know your stuff will be way beyond what I can do. I'll be watching the thread closely. Thanks!

Gary
 _GOTOTOP