_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy M1151
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 05:11 AM UTC
My father gave my this Academy M1151 as a gift. I found it to be a fun and easy build, similar to a Tamiya kit. I'm building it straight out of the box. I'd recommend this kit to anyone who wants a modern and accurate HMMWV family kit. I might have to pick up another one of these and it was so fun and easy to build.

A few months prior to starting my build, I took some photos of 2 USMC M1151s at an Air Base Open house. I have to say Academy did a good job in regard to accuracy. At first I confused with the choice of 2 half plastic tires, versus the traditional "rubber" style. Having looked at my reference images, the only option to pull these off would be the 2 piece ones or resin. You cannot capture that level of detail in "rubber".

It is about 95% complete at this point. I used a combination of Tamiya, Vallejo and the new AK Real Color line of paint. I found the AK Real Color to have excellent colors and very easy application. It thins well with Tamiya thinner or lacquer thinner.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hello
while you can be happy with the Academy kit, it is not as accurate as you think. The main issue is the suspension being too high.
I remember Vodnik stating the angle of the hood being wrong as well.
However, the most important is to have fun and, yes, the plastic tires are better than rubber/vinyle ones.

You've done a nice job with it.
Olivier
MakiWawa
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:08 PM UTC
I will wait for the final effect, but there are still many alterations and corrections to painting.
pattesmaq
Visit this Community
Haute-Alpes, France
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hello
super model, AK REAL paint gives a good rendering. I mounted this model a while ago, it is true that the suspension is a little high. I liked the editing, I just changed the wheels for those resin. Good luck for the future
patrick
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 - 02:25 AM UTC
I should have probably written "pretty accurate", instead of accurate. I was aware of the suspension issue, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. As most of us are aware, or should be, there are no perfect kits. Each has some accuracy issues.

Thank you for the compliments Oliver & tesolat. Hopefully, I can finish it by this weekend.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello
while you can be happy with the Academy kit, it is not as accurate as you think. The main issue is the suspension being too high.
I remember Vodnik stating the angle of the hood being wrong as well.
However, the most important is to have fun and, yes, the plastic tires are better than rubber/vinyle ones.

You've done a nice job with it.
Olivier

Looks great!

One of the accuracy issues is that the M1151 doesn’t have the elevation stand for the gunner to stand on. Could just leave it off and all is well.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 08:45 AM UTC
Looks good! Thanks for posting.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the accuracy issues is that the M1151 doesn’t have the elevation stand for the gunner to stand on. Could just leave it off and all is well.

Thank you for the info Bruce.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP