_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
LMTV reference pics here
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:37 AM UTC
I’ve been working on updating an LMTV to the latest version. Aftermarket bumper, grill, and s few other details. I’m doing the unarmoured version. Maybe someday they will come out with the modern armored cab.

I’m at Ft Riley (1 ID) so I started taking pics of some of the details. It occurred to me that someone else might benefit from them so I thought I’d throw these pics out there.

(PS that’s my red truck parked there in a lot of the pics. The OPSEC concerns are high so a lot of the time I pretend I’m taking pics of my POV, ha ha)

salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi! First off, thanks a bunch for taking the time to take and post these images. They're fantastic.

I've got an LMTV and FMTV in the stash waiting for my skills to improve before I start the builds so I'm always interested in reference photos like these.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I had a few questions if you don't mind?

(1) Several photos depict something that looks like a mini-CIP mounted on the front or rear side(s?) of the cab. Has the text "This side off".

Can you tell me what it's for, or better yet, should I add it to my vehicles?

The WWP book "FMTV trucks" has a couple of photos of vehicles with what seems similar but they are black and pretty much cover most of the vehicle front. Is this the same thing?

(2) There are a couple of pictures of a water trailer. Is that something like the M1112?

(3) There is a single image of an LMTV that appears to have the bed removed and a shelter of some sort mounted in it's place.

Is that a standard piece of equipment?

Finally...

Quoted Text

I’ve been working on updating an LMTV to the latest version. Aftermarket bumper, grill, and s few other details. I’m doing the unarmoured version.

I'm also doing the unarmored version and am wondering what sort of aftermarket you are using? Perhaps the Legend set LF1303?

I picked up the Legend set as well as the Voyager PE and some of the old Pro Arts models sets (I have their interior set).

Is there anything else you'd recommend?

I'm wanting to build mine with a weapon on the roof (something like a .50 cal, another Pro Art set). As I'd like to detail the interior I'd like to have the roof open so you can see things better.

So along that note, do you have any photos of the interior? I was hoping for more info on the center folding "seat" the gunner stands on? Sorry, not sure what it's called.

Thanks again for the photos and I hope my questions weren't too annoying (or made you regret making this post :-) ).

Regards,

Brad.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:31 AM UTC
How old are these pics? last month or earlier?
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How old are these pics? last month or earlier?

I took these pics over the past several months.

The ID panels on the front are smaller. Like the ones they use in the sides of the pickup version of the HMMWV. Only a few have them around here because most of these trucks are pretty new. Only the older (usually NATO camo) that had been deployed and returned have them. The attachment bracket is simply a horizontal “I” fixture with little posts that stick through the panel. The ones on the sides slide into a holder. Note that they are neither Sand nor Green but a Coyote Brown so they supposedly can be used in Sand or NATO colored. They can be ordered in Tan, Brown or Green but they happened to choose the mid color.

I originally bought the armouted cab LMTV, but didn’t realize it wasn’t the current version so I bought the unarmoured one too.

I was able to steal the tire block holder (front rear fender on the drivers side) from the armored kit as well as replace the under seat brackets with the same single version on all the troop seats. Note though that the tire block holder isn’t present on all of them, but it’s on a random few and I liked the look. I also had to steal some more of the cargo cover tie downs from the other kit. Damn those are small and go airborne!

You can find lots of google pics about the fold down metal stand for the gunner. In garrison, most of the gun rings are removed and a big poofy vinyl cover is attached. You can see it in some photos. I think it’s the same gun ring that the old 5ton and Duce and a half’s used. You could instead install a CROWS II, but you still need the gun ring/hatch. Too much work for me.

The interior is horrible in this kit. (Needs dirty windows for sure!). But I added the radio/storage racks behind the front seats. It also helps to block the view from the rear side windows.

You also need a small strip of clear plastic behind the windshield Ali d the dash as a defrost deflector. Stenciling some names on the lower portions of the si shield will also help hide the crappy interior.

Also - I did away with the winch and hydraulic tank on the opposite side. Very few have this option installed.

I used the legended kit with the new bumper, grill, new rear lights, etc. I also got resin wheels.

I also bought an aftermarket cargo bed cover, but it’s really thick resin and not quite crisp enough so I’m not going to use it.

I have the cargo trailer too, special ordered some custom decals that are the strips of red and white DOT reflector tape that adorns the trailers.

You’ll also notice the vent that comes out of the side of the air cleaner comes from the from front side instead of the rear side as the kit has it. Also note that there is an exhaust connection that is visible into the tail pipe that’s not on the kit.

Unlike the kit instructions, those little metal clips that hold up the troop seats in the stowed position are one piece that forms an “H”. They have a cord attached and when the seats are down the just lay loose on the bed atrached by the cord.

Here’s a few pics at various stages.

salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:59 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks for the pictures and the information.

I need all the help I can get :-)

Regards,

Brad.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:32 AM UTC
I am working on the LTAS cab for two kits, M1079 and M1085. With proper reference no big problem. But the spare tire holder is a kit for itself. I recommend US Army TM 9-2320-366-24P2. It gives you very detailed breakdown of all components, extremely helpful for detailing and scratchbuilding. A shame that Trumpeter did such a poor job with the FTMV series, especially with these pricetag.
Agallegos
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 - 12:38 PM UTC
Man this all brings back memories. I worked for Stewart and Stevenson (and later BAE) where they built these in Texas.

I'd love to see a version of the kit with an LTAS cab (with and without B-kit), or the M1088 tractor, or M1148 with Load Handling. OH well, Still got my TMs and memories I guess.
 _GOTOTOP