_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Tamiya M3 Stuart
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:46 PM UTC
New Tamiya M3 Stuart,seems like new molds, with two figures and decal options for US and Soviet versions. It also seems that Tamiya have new sets of corrected tracks for the M3. Here is the link along with the pictures: http://www.detailscaleview.com/2018/01/tamiya-m3-stuart-360-review.html
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:48 PM UTC
It is totally 100% new.
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:03 PM UTC
I as hoping for link and length tracks on this one. I guess vinyl is final.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:36 AM UTC
Timeline???
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Timeline???

Built up, sprues already at the Nuremberg show, and box art is out-- so I suspect it's right around the corner. Knowing Tamiya and the way they announce, I'd say it wouldn't be long now. But I'm going to wait and see if Hobby Lobby will carry it, like they did with the Easy 8 Sherman, so I can use my 40% coupon! By the way, I compared the sprue shots to my old Tamiya kit and the two unbuilt Academy kits I have. This is definitely a whole new kit. I can now graft the interiors of the Academy kits into my AFV club M5 and this new Tamiya kit! whoopee! What I didn't see in the Tamiya kit is the North Africa drop tanks-- but Academy can provide those too-- and maybe the Academy separate block link tracks will work-- I'm a happy man.
VR, Russ
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC
In Hobbyeasy is in pre-order,relase date 2018-04-30...

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/6afrzzlvrrqiyfuj9ovs.html?t=1520034174
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:03 AM UTC
So how much in USD are 200 Hong Kong Dollars? Never-mind-- I did the conversion myself. A HKD is .13 USD today. Therefore, Hobby Easy wants $26.00 USD for this kit (200 HKD at Hobby Easy x .13 USD = $26.00 USD. I figure with mark up, the kit will cost about $32 bucks here in the US, give or take a few dollars. If Hobby Lobby carries it at $32,that will be about $20 with a 40% coupon (rounded up, give or take a few pennies and some tax depending on where you live) Whoopee! (that is if Hobby Easy has the price right).
VR, Russ
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So how much in USD are 200 Hong Kong Dollars?
VR, Russ

USD 25.64
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So how much in USD are 200 Hong Kong Dollars? Never-mind-- I did the conversion myself. A HKD is .13 USD today. Therefore, Hobby Easy wants $26.00 USD for this kit (200 HKD at Hobby Easy x .13 USD = $26.00 USD. I figure with mark up, the kit will cost about $32 bucks here in the US, give or take a few dollars. If Hobby Lobby carries it at $32,that will be about $20 with a 40% coupon (rounded up, give or take a few pennies and some tax depending on where you live) Whoopee! (that is if Hobby Easy has the price right).
VR, Russ

Holy Christmas Russ ! Between this math and your WNW Gap Table I think you may have been an Actuary in a past life - now my brain really hurts !
Ha ha - Richard
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:24 AM UTC
Call me a Grumpy Old Modeler but it looks like they are still using the old tooling to me.

Top deck still a one piece moulding with separately detailed side plates that must be apliqued onto the main casting just like before. No multi-part slide molds here. Then a multi-piece turret build up; front, left, right and top - rear seam to deal with. Again here was the chance to show some new technology but no.

Finally rubber band tracks. Would have been an opportunity for Papa Tamiya to have really outdone himself there but again no.

Still all and all it builds up into a nice sharp looking model, own a couple myself, and sells at a reasonable enough price.

Oh well, replacement tracks are available elsewhere if you feel so inclined.

One man's opinion - worth every cent you paid.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Call me a Grumpy Old Modeler but it looks like they are still using the old tooling to me.

And you would be wrong.

"New tooling" is not shorthand for "The company has changed its philosophy of kit design and engineering." It's a Tamiya armor kit. Your expectation should be that you will get a Tamiya kit.

KL
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And you would be wrong.

"New tooling" is not shorthand for "The company has changed its philosophy of kit design and engineering." It's a Tamiya armor kit. Your expectation should be that you will get a Tamiya kit.

KL

Agree-- I carefully compared the provided sprue shots (I agree also with Michael that they look "similar" to the old sprues), but they are not the same. The new upper hull has cut-outs for the grill, drivers compartment hatches and air cleaners whereas the old Tamiya hull does not. The rear of the upper hull looks like it has a cut out for the rounded hull plate, and grills, so maybe they'll eventually have "early and late versions" as the kit box said "late". The lower hull is at least 4 pieces where the old kit was a single piece. The turret is definitely larger than the old in-accurate turret. It also seems like there are a lot more detail pieces in the kit, and more sprues. Anyone note that the kit comes with a Russian and an America helmet for the commander?-- I wonder if it's the head thats different or if its an entirely separate figure, cant tell from the sprue.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy Christmas Russ ! Between this math and your WNW Gap Table I think you may have been an Actuary in a past life - now my brain really hurts !
Ha ha - Richard

Richard, I'm actually terrible at math, and age hasn't helped much, but I can do addition, subtraction, division and multiplication in my head pretty well thanks to my 1950's and 60's education (and a lot of "ruler knuckle beatings"). I'm also retired and spending a lot of time indoors this past week due to crappy weather and my unheated garage hobby bench, so I have nothing better to do but think of this stuff, and read posts on Kitmaker, and look forward to new kits! By the way-- if the math works out, most folks can afford to buy a couple of these at Hobby Lobby (over several days of course, since you can only use one 40% off coupon per day). Hmmm....imagine the possibilities....
VR, Russ

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:24 AM UTC
Kurt I did not really understand what you were saying except for the "your wrong" part. I got that OK.

However I will say that I am glad to be wrong if it means we have another modern engineered kit to enjoy!

I do see the points Russ is making about the cut-outs and perhaps the chance for an early version coming soon.

It's a happy day.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:03 AM UTC
On close inspection of the built up kits and the sprues, I do see some things to look forward to in this kit, and also some disappointments. Starting with the disappointments--

1)The engine intake grills are solid panels to be glued over the openings it seems, as is the exhaust grill underneath. It would have been nice to have some PE. On the other hand the Eduard set for the M3 has those PE panels, so all is not lost. K&S Engineering also has mesh material that will work if you want to make your own.

2) The North African (for lack of better terms) drop tank "mounting pads" are on this kit, but there don't appear to be any drums or mounting hardware. Again, Eduard has those in their Academy set.

3) There's no interior, so I don't see any periscopes for the turret. Might be able to source those through Academy.

4) I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't see the cast "rounded" rear hull piece. That's a must for a Late M3, with the "flat" turret I believe (I could be wrong, but I've climbed on a several of them and never seen a late one without the cast part). The very early ones had the flat plates.

There are some new things in this kit that look promising-- The turret is enlarged and has the two hatch openings of a late M3; The "pistol ports" in the turret all seem to be separate parts, which means they might be able to be posed open; As someone mentioned, it looks like the track has been corrected from the earlier Tamiya M3, since it's live action, it shouldn't look to bad in vinyl once it's together; It has a nice early commanders .30 cal./mount, and the barrel of the co-driver and fixed guns look really nice; and as mentioned before it looks like the commander's and drivers hatches are position-able, not sure about the co-drivers, but without an interior, it doesn't really matter (a pet peeve of mine, but not worth talking about at this point --why would the Cdr.'s be open, but not the driver?).

It still looks like a very nice little kit, Ill probably buy two if I can get them cheap!
VR, Russ
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt I did not really understand what you were saying except for the "your wrong" part. I got that OK.

This is a typical Tamiya kit. They haven't gone the Bronco/Miniart route and started issuing 1000 part kits, so at arm's length even a new tool kit is going to look like a lot like their old one.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

4) I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't see the cast "rounded" rear hull piece. That's a must for a Late M3, with the "flat" turret I believe (I could be wrong, but I've climbed on a several of them and never seen a late one without the cast part). The very early ones had the flat plates.

I think somebody said it looked like the formed cowl (not cast) *could* be included in the future, not that it was in there now.

The tanks you've seen were probably M3A1s, not M3s. It is not clear that late M3s (the so-called hybrids) used the formed cowl.

KL
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 06:10 PM UTC
As a young boy I was in love with the Stuart tank and no one made a kit of it .
Although I can't recall the title, there was a comic book series featuring the Stuart.
The premise was the crew of a Stuart was guided by the ghost of Jeb Stuart himself.
My Dad once took me to the Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds- this was in the early to mid 60's and at that time it was largely a lot of Ordnance parked outside.
I think I spent half the day ogling the Stuart and I recall my disappointment upon discovering that all hatches were welded shut and I couldn't look inside.
I built the Tamiya kit many years ago . I don't do much armor- softskins/ artillery seem to get my favor these days when I stray from 1/48 aircraft with red circles on them - but I think I'm going to have to give this one a spot in the stash .
Cheers - Richard
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 06:33 PM UTC
I believe that the title was " The Haunted Tank". It was amazing how every German tank they ran across was a Tiger..and knocked them out so easily with their 37mm gun!!!

That comic, plus Sgt. Rock and Fury's Howling Commandos were a mainstay of my youth.

PS..also The Unknown Soldier.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think somebody said it looked like the formed cowl (not cast) *could* be included in the future, not that it was in there now.

The tanks you've seen were probably M3A1s, not M3s. It is not clear that late M3s (the so-called hybrids) used the formed cowl.

KL

Kurt-- let's hope that's the case-- this kit looks like it might be set up to allow different releases of the early M3, late M3, and as you've said the M3A1. I guess we'll find out. I live not far from a couple of M3s but it's been several years since I've been to see them. I could swear the one at Ft. Lewis has the rounded cowl, but I really can't remember. I'll have to go look.
VR, Russ
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I could swear the one at Ft. Lewis has the rounded cowl, but I really can't remember. I'll have to go look.

I would be surprised if it didn't. M3A1s are far more common in the US today than M3s.

KL
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I could swear the one at Ft. Lewis has the rounded cowl, but I really can't remember. I'll have to go look.

I would be surprised if it didn't. M3A1s are far more common in the US today than M3s.

KL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the main outward difference between the M3/late M3 and the M3A1 the presence of a turret floor basket, the rounded "cowl", no cupola (late M3 and M3A1), and some angles and shapes in the front end? Also the late M3/M3A1 had the sponson guns welded over? The two that I'm thinking of at Ft. Lewis have no turret basket, but they do have the cowls. I understand from the museum curator that these two (and some others) were sent back from the Mediterranean in 1943/44 along with many others for use as training tanks, and found thier way to the National Guard and Ft. Lewis sometime in the early 50's. Both were rescues from the FSP. One is on display at the WA National Guard HQ in Tillicum, the other at the Ft. Lewis museum. The one in Tillicum has the front drivers hatch open with the driveshaft down the middle of the tank and no turret basket. Perhaps it's a hybrid.
VR, Russ
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 12:23 AM UTC
Do the idlers have rubber tires?

Regards,

Marc
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do the idlers have rubber tires?

Regards,

Marc

No- steel the roadwheels are rubber tires.
VR, Russ
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the main outward difference between the M3/late M3 and the M3A1 the presence of a turret floor basket, the rounded "cowl", no cupola (late M3 and M3A1), and some angles and shapes in the front end? Also the late M3/M3A1 had the sponson guns welded over? The two that I'm thinking of at Ft. Lewis have no turret basket, but they do have the cowls. I understand from the museum curator that these two (and some others) were sent back from the Mediterranean in 1943/44 along with many others for use as training tanks, and found thier way to the National Guard and Ft. Lewis sometime in the early 50's. Both were rescues from the FSP. One is on display at the WA National Guard HQ in Tillicum, the other at the Ft. Lewis museum. The one in Tillicum has the front drivers hatch open with the driveshaft down the middle of the tank and no turret basket. Perhaps it's a hybrid.
VR, Russ

The only real external difference between a "hybrid" M3 and an M3A1 is the registration number. The turret basket is what makes the difference.

That said, M3A1 tend to be welded hulls with the rounded cowl and have plugged or absent sponson mg's but that's not what determines the designation. Those were all just running production changes that came inline right around the same time as M3 to M3A1 transition.
 _GOTOTOP