_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Set Survey NOW Live, Tru-Color Paint
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 05:09 AM UTC
Tru-Color Paint is pleased to announce that the survey to choose what initial paint sets (up to 6) should be manufactured for the IPMS Convention to be held on August 1-4, 2018 in Phoenix, AZ. has gone LIVE on our website as of today, 3/22/18.

The website address for survey is :

trucolorpaint.com/trucolor-paint-release-survey/

Please take the time to fill out the survey. The more information we have on what set(s) the modelers want to have, then those sets will be the first produced for the convention and for sales to your local hobby shops or online stores. Thank you in advance for taking this survey and we look forward to your input.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779

trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 09:36 PM UTC
Very nice response modelers ! After only 2 days of the survey being live on our website we have already received over 50 completed surveys for the most popular military sets YOU want to see manufactured for the IPMS National Convention to be held August 1-4 in Phoenix, AZ.

Keep up the good work ! The survey will remain on the website until May 18th. That is the LAST DAY we will take surveys into account for development of the sets. If you missed the survey website address, here it is again :

Your input matters - we will produce only those first 6 sets which garner the most votes in the survey. How about that, a manufacturer who listens to their customers. After the convention we will add more sets to the product line, but following what is most wanted.

Looking forward to your votes and comments on the survey.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 - 06:13 AM UTC
On several survey sheets we were asked what would be the finish of the paints in the sets. For all cases the finish would be what was called for in the appearance of the color chips we are matching our paint to, the Federal Standard call outs for more modern colors and the advice of experts in their fields that we are working with on developing our military paint product line.

However, we had a few respondents who stated we should release these sets with only glossy paint, regardless of what the specification, color chips and experts say. This way decals would be mush easier to apply and since most modelers seal the decals with clear flat this would eliminate a step on having to Gloss coat the paint for decal application. We would like to have YOUR OPINION on this subject. You can either reply to this thread OR add it to the comments section on the bottom of the set survey.

Do NOT forget to vote for your favorite sets on the survey - the more info we get, the better we like it !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 - 07:13 AM UTC
I think a happy medium would be to go with semi-matte. That way, you really have the best of both worlds. My favorite paint is Gunze Mr. Color, and it comes in a semi-matte finish. I have no problem declaring over it, or applying clear flat or gloss coats over it. Gloss colors are typically harder to apply, while flat coats tend to be more forgiving and dry much faster. Semi-Matte is the best of both.
VR, Russ
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 04:33 AM UTC
Interesting observation. Thank you for taking the time to reply to our query. Had not considered going in between gloss and full matte for the colors. Has possibilities, but we NEED MORE FEEDBACK before we make a decision on what the finish of the paints in the sets should be. Anyone else with an opinion ? Do we make paint that is accurate to the color chips or standards or do we make colors easier to decal ?

Would like to get more feedback on the survey as well. Still time to take the survey on our website:

Looking forward to meeting as many modelers at our tables at the IPMS National Convention on August 1-4 in Phoenix, AZ !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 10:38 AM UTC
Only 2 weeks left to enter your vote for what 6 military sets we should develop for the IPMS National Convention to be held in Phoenix, AZ from August 1-4. So far there have been 703 surveys received - well done modelers ! With that many responses (that we are thrilled with ) we have 4 leading sets way out in front.

TCP-10601 U.S. Air Force SEA Camouflage Colors (Aircraft)
TCP-10604 U.S. Army & Navy ANA WWII set (Aircraft)
TCP-10701 U.S. Army Olive Drab set (Armor)
TCP-10703 U.S. Army - NATO Colors (Armor)

It is too close to call the other 2 sets. There are 5 sets within just 6 votes of each other.

It is NOT TOO LATE for your input ! Here is the survey site again:

Looking forward to meeting with you at the convention.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: [email protected]
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:56 PM UTC
I still have your paints here Martin, been busy finishing up a diorama , for a show down the road. And the T-34/85 is already in so will be good to go when I get on it soon. But if I remember a lot of the paints I have gotten from you shift either way to dark , or not too close to the Green the Russians used.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 10:26 AM UTC
Jeff:

Thanks for update. Remember, we have no idea what color the Russian tanks are so we sent a selection of lots of greens for you to try. If one or more is close that will be a plus and we can adjust the color once we know where we should aim - lighter, darker, more greener, blacker, etc.

How many other paint companies would offer free paint to evaluate colors for military subjects we know nothing about ? We want to be the go to company for military paint in this segment of the market as we are in the railroad segment, where we hold 95% that market because of accuracy and ease of use.

Looking forward to your trials.

Still want MORE SURVEYS completed by modelers.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 03:48 AM UTC
Thanks Martin, will do.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 10:49 AM UTC
Only 8 DAYS left to enter your vote for what 6 military sets we should develop for the IPMS National Convention to be held in Phoenix, AZ from August 1-4. So far there have been 760 surveys received - well done modelers ! With that many responses (that, we are thrilled with ) we have 4 leading sets way out in front.

TCP-10601 U.S. Air Force SEA Camouflage Colors (Aircraft)
TCP-10604 U.S. Army & Navy ANA WWII set (Aircraft)
TCP-10701 U.S. Army Olive Drab set (Armor)
TCP-10703 U.S. Army - NATO Colors (Armor)

It is too close to call the other 2 sets. There are 5 sets within just 6 votes of each other.

It is NOT TOO LATE for your input ! Here is the survey site again:

Looking forward to meeting with you at the convention.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: [email protected]
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:12 AM UTC
I was going to complete the survey, but as I only build WWII German armor, none of your offerings interest me. However, I would like to agree with Russ on going the semi-matte route and saving a step in the painting process.

I'll be interested in trying your product in the future, provided you will have sets for the subject I build.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 11:30 AM UTC
Mark & Others:

We are working on making German WWII Armor colors in collaboration with several experts in this subject. In particular the curator of a museum in the Netherlands dedicated to displaying German armor. We have already matched 9 colors (4 of which are Dunkelgelb for different years of use).

Although not scheduled for release until early 2019, we will have all of the colors we have matches for on display at the IPMS National Convention so that modelers can see them firsthand. In fact, I am building a model that will show as many colors at the same time (obviously NOT prototypical) plus some light weathering. Still working on that, but I can guarantee there will be a strange mix of colors on the model that will raise eyebrows ! The body is already painted in 5 different colors and there is more to go.

Only 7 days left for survey !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 04:03 AM UTC
I sent you the chips we spoke about earlier this year via snail mail.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP