_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SF pickup
Snakey
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 02:01 PM UTC
So I'm back to modelling again. It's been quite a while since I held a glue bottle.
Anyways, I thought I'd share my current project for a future diorama. I most likely will never finish it, given my trackrecord, but for now my head is buzzing with ideas.

I used one of Mengs pickups and started to open up some doors and add some rollcage and so on. I haven't started with the cargo and backpacks yet but I will use some Magic Sculp and make backpacks and such.

I am afraid I overdid it with the rust but hey, they must have rain in the Afghani mountains, right?

Critique is much appreciated.

panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 04:16 PM UTC
Great work so far. I dont think youve overdone it on rust just shows the use of wear and tare. Look forward to seeing some stowage added
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 07:20 PM UTC
Great rusting job! My 20+ yr old 4-Runner is starting to look like that!
Lawyer1
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 07:26 PM UTC
What you have so far is great and I really hope you do finish it.
McScheffer
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 09:10 PM UTC
Well done painting and mud effects especially the windscreen. I will follow this with great interrest.

Regards
Chris
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC
I think your build is great ,keep up the good work .
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 06:17 AM UTC
That is indeed very nice work, and the rust is very convincing - for a truck far older perhaps. That roll bar is too cool. I always wanted to do an external one on my '92 Rodeo, but the neighbors were already a little irritated with it.

These photos show two different SF Tacomas. They are dirty to be sure, but had no rust on them whatsoever.

Yeah, that bottom photo is the black one again.

Here's another with some guys that Master Box immortalized in 1/35 scale a few years back:

Here's a Hi-Lux with roll bar, but no rust.

For the USSF vehicles, rust like that, even if it did appear would be covered quickly with the closest matching shade of Krylon.
I probably haven't seriously filled out a 2404 since 1986, but there was always "vehicle needs spot touch up." if you couldn't find anything else, just to prove to the commander you were being vigilant.

Final thing, while the roof stowage is clearly evident in one of the Tacoma photos, there were no rails to interfere with the gun, just a platform with square cutouts for ammo cans.. The antennae and other larger items were later moved as well. Some things just had to be learned by experience. (But I'm only stating that on the assumption you'll be adding a gun.)
Snakey
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words.

And much appreciated advice there 18Bravo. Some nice photos that I haven't seen before. You are absolutely right about the roofrack. It will be fixed since I was thinking of adding a .50.

I was a bit apprehensive about giving the rustspots since I couldn't find any picture of it but I wanted to "grunge" it up really bad so I gave it a shot.
Atleast it is painted with Krylon

Added a bullbar since yesterday:
Snakey
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 01:59 PM UTC
Finally had some time to start with the stowage. Lots more to come but it's a start.

_GOTOTOP