_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Abrams Anti-Reflective Lens Coating
Jagdleopard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:30 PM UTC
Are there any paint or decal options to reproduce the anti-reflective lens coating on Abrams tanks? Looking for something other than the AFV Club stickers.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:47 PM UTC
I prefer to use paint. I start with a coat of black. Next I add two coats of clear red. Once dry, I use two-three coats of clear gloss. This gives them depth and reflects the colors differently from different angles, just like the real thing.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 - 09:35 AM UTC
So, if you take apart the light bar in an optical scanner, you'll have perfect optical glass for several vehicles worth of periscopes. Almost all good printers/scanners have these optical bars, which are about 8 inches long. Over the past 15 years or so, I've gotten rid of at least three printers, I always take them apart and save the glass for work surfaces, cabeling for "cables" and other items that might come in handy. The optical glass light bars can be cut carefully with a Dremel cut of wheel to the right length. You do need to be careful not to shatter the glass, and wear eye protection while cutting. Harder than decals, paint or the AFV club stickers, but it sure looks like the real thing.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP