_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
MENG Jagdpanther!
TheLilPeashooter
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 04:20 PM UTC
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1676228789157105&id=195290177250981

Wunderbar.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 05:20 PM UTC
Great, although I have the Dragon one already, but assume that the price will be lower

I want also Tiger I Tunisia so much

hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 05:50 PM UTC
Great new. I ordered Panther D yesterday
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 06:10 PM UTC
With all the extras included,looks like an old Dragon box.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 06:32 PM UTC
I was just contemplating ordering the Dragon kit but now I'm thinking I'm gonna wait.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 09:12 AM UTC
One thing I noticed right away: it has the gun cleaning rod storage tube mounted on the back, rather than on the left side as usual.

You see photos of Jagdpanthers with this configuration, but as far as I know, no kit has ever put it back there.

That alone makes it "Must have" for me.

I also notice a huge parts count, yet seemingly without interior. Are the tracks 5 parts per link or something? How is the part count getting that big for a Jagdpanther with no interior?

avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1676228789157105&id=195290177250981

Wunderbar.

when will meng panther turrent bunker goibng to make available in hong kong?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I noticed right away: it has the gun cleaning rod storage tube mounted on the back, rather than on the left side as usual.

You see photos of Jagdpanthers with this configuration, but as far as I know, no kit has ever put it back there.

I also notice a huge parts count, yet seemingly without interior. Are the tracks 5 parts per link or something? How is the part count getting that big for a Jagdpanther with no interior?

Each track link has two guide horns to attach. It's the Meng way, I'd bet.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Each track link has two guide horns to attach. It's the Meng way, I'd bet.

I expect that the tracks will be the same style as in their Ausf. A kit. 3 parts per link; 86 links per side. The tracks alone account for 516 pieces. Add another 92 pieces if the ice cleats are included. That's over 600 parts in just the tracks.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
I feared the huge parts number came from the tracks.

Well, I'd use Friuls anyway.

Soojet
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feared the huge parts number came from the tracks.

Well, I'd use Friuls anyway.

The huge part number for the tracks does sound excessive to me. You are probably right, it would just be easier to go the Friul route, as absurd as that sounds.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 06:40 PM UTC
This will probably sound like a rant,, but I fail to see the reasoning kit makers use in having separate guide horns on any set of tracks. I've shied away from buying such kits for that reason alone. For me, the level of detail (which is not that visible when completed anyway) isn't worth the amount of time and frustration. You end up spending more time building tracks than the rest of the model.
TheLilPeashooter
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 06:57 PM UTC
Do correct me if I am wrong, but I think Bronco also produced the late panther tracks (in styrene) that should work for jagdpanthers.
chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 11:57 PM UTC
It looks nice. I am sure that Rye Field Models will releasea kit too! Their Panther kit is a thing of beauty... lots of options IR with boxes, interior, earl/late options, 2 p/e frets 2 thicknesses etc...

I don't mind the multi part tracks, the Dragon ones aren't bad.
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 12:16 AM UTC
I do believe that Takom have on in the pipeline too. Maybe that has an interior like their Panthers have, seems logical as half the interior is already done :-)
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 10:38 AM UTC

The kit is now available for pre-order with a July release date. Looking at the pic, I was trying to figure out what version of the G1 this kit represents. Here are a view observations I noticed.

1. No zimmerit, which makes it a post September 1944 build.
2. The gun mount insert is the late reinforced version that was introduced in October 1944. (blue circle)
3. There are no pilze sockets on the superstructure roof. Only MNH produced vehicles without them. MNH didn't start producing Jagdpanther's until November 1944. So, this must represent an MNH produced vehicle.
4. Only the first 20 MNH produced vehicles still had the 5mm plate installed over the 2nd driver's periscope window (purple circle). These were all produced in November 1944. A plug was installed after this.
5. The flame suppressing mufflers were introduced in December 1944. Looking within the red circle, the kit has these mufflers installed. It also looks like the two cooling pipes are there as well. This would represent a field conversion replacing the original muffler. Which was an officially approved procedure.

As best I can tell, this kit represents a very late version of the Ausf. G1. Would need better pics of the engine deck and of the rear hull to see more details.

So, if you want an early version with the original gun mount and zimmerit, you will need a different kit.
reteip9
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 10:00 PM UTC
Mark, that's only the render which represents a real jagdpanther G1 late which had Flammvernichter exhausts retrofitted. According to the press release this kit is going to have a multitude of optional parts which will probably allow you to build a vartiety of G1 Jagdpanthers from the early until the late just before they switched production to the G2.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, that's only the render which represents a real jagdpanther G1 late which had Flammvernichter exhausts retrofitted. According to the press release this kit is going to have a multitude of optional parts which will probably allow you to build a vartiety of G1 Jagdpanthers from the early until the late just before they switched production to the G2.

Pieter,
Thanks for the information. I had not seen that anywhere. I would love to see more details of what will be in the box to figure out what options will be available. But, without zimmerit, you can't build a pre-late September 1944 configuration. I've not seen anything from Meng that they will be releasing a zimmerit decal sheet for this kit. Which means having to go 3rd party, if anyone will produce a set.

Right now I'm leaning towards the announced Dragon 2 in 1 kit. But, with that one (based on the announcement pics) you can only build a January -June 1944 version with the gun mount shown, and zimmerit parts. Maybe the other two gun mount versions will be in the box as well.

Guess I'll wait to see what everyone actually releases before deciding which one to get. Or, I'll just get both.

It's good to be spoiled for choice
janders
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 04:52 PM UTC
From their facebook announcement for this kit:
"A crowd of prey approach in a sunny day. They are unware of the danger not far away. A predator hiding in the busy stares at its prey and wait for them to enter the attack zone. Like a cheetah killing antelopes with its sharp teeth and claws, the Jagdpanther will use its 88mm Pak 43 anti-tank gun to destroy its prey.
The latest MENG TS-039 German Tank Destroyer Sd.Kfz.173 Jagdpanther Ausf.G1 model is 286.mm long and 96.26mm wide. This kit contains 975 parts. This kit includes a movable main gun and commander’s telescope, 2 mantlets, 4 mantlet mount rings, 2 gun barrels and 4 exhausts. With those optional parts, you can build a Jagdpanther Ausf.G in a specific period. Thanks to its framework and the design to accommodate the SPS-049 Panther Late Production Tracks & Movable Running Gear Parts kit, you will have more options to build a unique model."

2 mantlets, 4 mantlet mount rings, 2 gun barrels and 4 exhausts

I've not seen anything about zimmerit from meng. Wouldn't be surprised if they put out sheets like their Panthers...
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 05:18 PM UTC
Thanks Jon. I refuse to do F-book, so had not seen that info. The info raises more questions. Guess I will wait till its released and see the instructions before making a decision.
chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 12:19 AM UTC
I have the kit and it's very nice for sure. It however does NOT have the crew compartment heater or the ventilator above the main gun for the Ardennes version. I got a great deal on it though and a TMD crew compartment heater will do the trick. The instructions have options for the different tool layouts.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 12:45 AM UTC
I'm really deep into my build of this excellent kit. Fit is fantastic ! I've only used a bit of filler on the lower hull where the rear plate hits the floor, probably my error. The upper hull goes together just like the real thing, tongue & groove with flame cut marks on the end. Yes, there are 3 part links making about 600 parts for the tracks. The track faces are ejector mark free, so the only clean up are the attachment points. The build will stall out when I come to the tracks I'm betting. But with Winter coming in a few months (hopefully) it'll get done.

If you're a Jagdpanther fan get this kit !

_GOTOTOP