_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Thunder Models new Scammell Recovery Tractor
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 10:51 PM UTC
G'day all.

I had a pleasant surprise from the mail man today when he turned up with these two little beauties!!.Having almost finished the Tank Transporter and seeing what a great kit it is, I couldn't wait to get my hands on these.

These kits are both shorter than the Tank transporter Tractor as they dont require the extended cab for carrying the tank crew. I think we've all seen the R100 now, it is covered by Dutch modeller on Youtube where he compares the IBG and Thunder Models kits. In my opinion the TM kits are superior, but will be harder to build.

So, here I am going to show you all the difference between the two Thunder Model kits to give you a feel for what has been changed.I will also do a double build, ending in a triple build with the Transporter joining in. If you need more pics or detail, just ask.. my camera is at the ready..

Here's the beautiful Box art on the Thunder Model kit of the SV/2S. It is kit number 35201.

While we are on the subject of boxes, I think Thunder Model have the strongest out there? They would certainly withstand some abuse from the postman.

The box sides, giving information on the kit and the truck..

This is one crammed box, you know, one of those kits you cant get back in the box once taken out!!

Here we have Sprue M, which is special to the SV/2S. Note new chassis rails with the integral ballast weight carrying frame up front.

We also have all the wooden panels of the rear enclosure, bith inside and out are beautifully detailed with hinges, brackets and wood grain.

On Sprue N we have more panelling and the crane mechanism. We also have the beautifully detailed roof panel with the correct double rivetting.

Once we start the build we will see how much detail we have in this area, I'm guessing there wont be much needed?

Again we have lovely surface detail on this sprue..

Here we can see the PE frets, decals and wire/rope. This is a first for the Scammells from Thunder Model.. Brass rather than Copper PE. Having worked with the Copper I must say I like it. You may also notice that Thunder Model have also included the upgraded basket in this kit, which is available as an extra for the other two kits. (Take a look at my Transporter build to see the upgraded basket and resin wheels).

I have done a couple of shots of the relevant pages of the manual so we can see the work that goes into getting the rear built. It's all there in great detail. If the Transporter is anything to go by, the fit will be good too??

I thought the inclusion of the rifle racks and the rifles was a nice touch..

Another nice touch here.. a page of the instructions taken from a Scammell Manual showing you how to superdeatil the chassis if you so wish.

There are four marking options in the kit. All colour call outs are for Mig Ammo paints, but it shouldnt be too difficult to find the alternatives from your favourite manufacturer? I've just ordered a load of the new Real Color paints to try out.. SCC15 and 14 are on that list..

German captured North Africa 1942, Dunkerque 1944..

and..

Soviet Army Eastern Front 1944 or Caunter scheme 7th Armoured 1942.

All in all this is a lovely kit of a very important piece of British equipment from WW11. We now need to wait and see what Thunder Model come up with to sit behind the R100. I think theres a 7.2 inch Howitzer on the way?

As I said, if you'd like to see more of this lovely kit just ask...

Currently available from LZ Models at only €38, just over £32.. bargain!!

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:06 PM UTC
That caunter scheme is a real eye catcher!
Aaaannnd yes, we want to see more of this build
/ Robin
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That caunter scheme is a real eye catcher!

Agree 100% Robin. It would look stunning on the show table. I will probably go for the SCC15 Dunkirque version.

There was some debate about the division markings being inaccurate on the previous Scammells.. are they correct now or was all the mystery unfounded?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There was some debate about the division markings being inaccurate on the previous Scammells.. are they correct now or was all the mystery unfounded?

Haven't got the foggiest ...
British markings is a very white area on the map for me, sort of like Antarctica ...
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP